~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I finally decided to try going maskless at work. We’re usually slow and feel mostly safe with it off, but one of my managers caught it again. His daughter had it and then he got it and he lost his sense of taste/smell. He also had a minor concussion after being rear ended in a parking lot just a week before Covid as well. 

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Literally the only people I see in masks now are the occasional old person and international students. Everyone else has given up. 

I sometimes see younger people masked up while walking at the park outside. So it truly runs the gamut 

Amazon to end paid leave for COVID, replace with 5 unpaid days off:

f2db6bd0-84eb-11ec-bd56-31ec77f57793
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

As of May 2nd, Amazon will no longer offer paid time off for workers who test positive for COVID-19.

This brings up the issue with "endemic" COVID: if most people are going to catch this a few times per year...how do they afford the time off? Over 20% of American workers have no paid sick leave at all. Many only have a few. 

• Guillotine 3

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This brings up the issue with "endemic" COVID: if most people are going to catch this a few times per year...how do they afford the time off?

The same way they deal with any other illness

On April 14th, the Ontario Science Table projected that by the beginning of May Ontario would have between 350 and 600 people in the ICU with/from Covid.  Today there are 206 (or less than 60% of their "low estimate of transmission").

Those projections led to the media accusing the government of "not following the science".

Those projections only matter if they are accurate.

27 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

On April 14th, the Ontario Science Table projected that by the beginning of May Ontario would have between 350 and 600 people in the ICU with/from Covid.  Today there are 206 (or less than 60% of their "low estimate of transmission").

Those projections led to the media accusing the government of "not following the science".

Those projections only matter if they are accurate.

Projections aside, we need to figure out how we're going to deal long-term with 100-200 people in ICU all the time from COVID.

• True 1

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Projections aside, we need to figure out how we're going to deal long-term with 100-200 people in ICU all the time from COVID.

Wastewater signals suggest that with Omicron 8% of the population is getting Covid every two weeks, those kind of infection rates aren't sustainable. 

• True 1

It seems a bit premature to presume Covid will be infecting everybody multiple times a year when in year 3 the vast majority of people haven’t been infected more than once, and many still not at all.

We also don’t know how future mutations will affect the virus, we don’t know how future vaccines will affect the virus, and we don’t know how future therapeutics will affect things like hospitalization rates and lengths.

It could all get worse, stay roughly the same, or improve. Unfortunately right now there is decent enough reason to believe any of those three 😂

Felt a little congested with a slight headache this morning so I took an at-home test. They finally got me. I don't feel too bad physically, but I shared a car with my brother on Friday and feel like shit if I exposed him since he's got a newborn. I was also at my mom's house yesterday. They're all vaxxed and boosted and my mom previously had covid and her booster was more recent so I hope she's well protected.

• Like 1

So apparently had my first known COVID exposure this weekend, the event organizer sent an email just now saying someone tested positive upon returning home. Just did a rapid test that I'm waiting on result from, and will do a PCR in a couple of days either way. At least if I got it I got it doing something I really wanted to do, not at the supermarket or something stupid like that. 

BBC News - Covid: World’s true pandemic death toll nearly 15 million, says WHO

_118627147_hi067326126.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

These include deaths from Covid and from the indirect effects of the pandemic over two years worldwide.

The measure used by the WHO is called excess deaths - how many more people died than would normally be expected based on mortality in the same area before the pandemic hit.

These calculations also take into account deaths which were not directly because of Covid but instead caused by its knock-on effects, like people being unable to access hospitals for the care they needed. It also accounts for poor record-keeping in some regions, and sparse testing at the start of the crisis.

But the WHO said the majority of the extra 9.5 million deaths seen above the 5.4 million Covid deaths reported were thought to be direct deaths caused by the virus, rather than indirect deaths.

So yeah gonna dust off that one-off Pfizer vax card from last July from before boosters were approved and just lie my ass off that I had some stupid whatever reason for never coming back for my second shot until suddenly now, yeah, seems worth it. So that I'm good until hopefully multivalent boosters become available this fall.