~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

RIP NYC

16059273cca7afe697e07f52e09eebfa.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

NEW YORK—Clucking his tongue with mock disappointment, Bill De Blasio announced to New Yorkers that “It’s not so easy to find a mayor that doesn’t suck shit after all, huh?” during a press conference Tuesday. “Hey, you all gave it your best shot, but it looks like it’s a little harder than you thought to run a…

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

RIP NYC

16059273cca7afe697e07f52e09eebfa.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

NEW YORK—Clucking his tongue with mock disappointment, Bill De Blasio announced to New Yorkers that “It’s not so easy to find a mayor that doesn’t suck shit after all, huh?” during a press conference Tuesday. “Hey, you all gave it your best shot, but it looks like it’s a little harder than you thought to run a…

• Guillotine 1

@skillzdadirecta

3ce35383da7fffc26c8a00f26420b6f4.jpg?v=1
IHEALTHLABS.COM

iHealth is making personal healthcare management easier for everyone! Improve your health by tracking your vitals data: blood pressure, blood glucose, blood oxygen & pulse rate, and more. Remote Patient Monitoring empowers providers to offer comprehensive care for patients. Increase patient satisfaction, gain ROI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

FIOoS1BWUAA2hFs?format=jpg&name=medium

This is a great reminder of how stupid people are in case anyone ever, for even a passing second, thought that in an imaginary world where COVID wasn't endemic, masking would become the norm for sick people trying to do the contain a flu or even common cold.

Looks like I have a minor case of Omicron. Past 4-5 days I have had no appetite, even after toking. Food sight/smell even made me sick to my stomach and I can barely put any weight on it without feeling sick. (even the elastic band on my shorts hurt, and feel ill after eating too) Went to grab a rapid test from my sister and started to get/now have a sore throat. So I’m off work for the next 5 days, but at least I have my Guardians of the Galaxy game to play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Is he saying God created the virus, and that we couldn't create a better representation of it that won't kill us to boost our immune system?

He's saying God creates "natural immunity," which is of course nonsense because the vaccine is natural immunity.

Hey, since Baker put a stop to remote schooling here in Massachusetts at the beginning of the year, my local district had to put out a note that they expect to have rolling school closures. Looks like at any given time, 10% of all teachers and students students are out for COVID reasons and for some crazy reason they seem to be unable to hire enough substitutes to keep up. I'm sure rolling school closures due to a lack of healthy teachers is much better than just going remote/bringing back social distancing.

42 minutes ago, Jason said:
getty-navy-vaccine-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Navy Seals argued mandate violates First Amendment and religious freedom law.

I mean...if the country can't even tell its soldiers how to act/what to do...what point is the government? These rulings are so transparent and dumb.

"Yes I signed up for war, but I refuse to ship out, it's against my 1st amendment rights."

"Yes I trained for the air force, but I'd like to drive a tank instead. They can't stop me, it's against my 1st amendment rights."

I'm so sick of people complaining about lockdowns being government tyranny. Shut the fuck up; you have no idea what tyranny is. You live in a first world country, and have lived a life of privilege compared to people who actually live under governmental tyranny. This isn't tyranny. You not being able to dine in at Chipotle isn't tyranny, it's a minor inconvenience. Shut the fuck up, you dumbass. 

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

But it's mild :silly:

It can be both. It can be likely to be milder than previous strains for any individual person, while causing a higher number of severe cases just from the sheer numbers game of how much more infectious it is. For it to not have an impact on hospitalizations you'd need Δ(likelihood of catching it)=Δ(likelihood of severe case) but we actually have Δ(likelihood of catching it)>>>>>Δ(likelihood of severe case).

People freaking put about a new variant in France. Media is calling in “IHU”, but it’s not a variant of concern yet; it’ll be named Pi if it becomes one.

AJX6J4UQW5GYLPOWTGGAF6TY2A.jpeg
WWW.NJ.COM

Scientists in France have identified a new COVID-19 variant called the IHU variant, which has 46 mutations. So far, 12 people have been infected with the variant in...

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm so sick of people complaining about lockdowns being government tyranny. Shut the fuck up; you have no idea what tyranny is. You live in a first world country, and have lived a life of privilege compared to people who actually live under governmental tyranny. This isn't tyranny. You not being able to dine in at Chipotle isn't tyranny, it's a minor inconvenience. Shut the fuck up, you dumbass. 

Love You Hug GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

People freaking put about a new variant in France. Media is calling in “IHU”, but it’s not a variant of concern yet; it’ll be named Pi if it becomes one.

AJX6J4UQW5GYLPOWTGGAF6TY2A.jpeg
WWW.NJ.COM

Scientists in France have identified a new COVID-19 variant called the IHU variant, which has 46 mutations. So far, 12 people have been infected with the variant in...

I'm going to be so fucking mad if it's the fucking pi variant that gets me.

Spoiler

xmet35ppuqsy.png

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It can be both. It can be likely to be milder than previous strains for any individual person, while causing a higher number of severe cases just from the sheer numbers game of how much more infectious it is. For it to not have an impact on hospitalizations you'd need Δ(likelihood of catching it)=Δ(likelihood of severe case) but we actually have Δ(likelihood of catching it)>>>>>Δ(likelihood of severe case).

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

All evidence is showing that it is mild relative to previous variants.

To be clear, my comment was more making fun of people who say there is no reason to worry because it is mild, all the while they ignore the more massive spread, like you said. It's definitely milder...but that won't matter for hospitals if we get 10x more cases.

Also for that France variant, I already posted earlier that it's been around since October and appears to be far less contagious than Omicron, so is less of a worry.

• Thanks 1

There have been no widespread needs to stabilize and transport critical care patients to other hospitals, and that isn’t likely to change in the developed world despite the fear mongering around hospitals noting they have such plans if necessary. I really can’t believe we are close to 2 years in and people are still falling for it.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There have been no widespread needs to stabilize and transport critical care patients to other hospitals, and that isn’t likely to change in the developed world despite the fear mongering around hospitals noting they have such plans if necessary. I really can’t believe we are close to 2 years in and people are still falling for it.

There might not be the need...but ICU cases are rising rapidly in Canada. Also keep in mind that most of the developed world has far fewer hospital beds per capita than the US (for generally good reasons), so less room to expand (plus needing the staff for it, etc). I'm not saying it will get extremely bad over large regions all at once...it just shouldn't be too flippantly ruled out. We already had hospitals in Canada overrun just over a month ago and are finally back under critical ICU levels.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

There might not be the need...but ICU cases are rising rapidly in Canada. Also keep in mind that most of the developed world has far fewer hospital beds per capita than the US (for generally good reasons), so less room to expand (plus needing the staff for it, etc). I'm not saying it will get extremely bad over large regions all at once...it just shouldn't be too flippantly ruled out. We already had hospitals in Canada overrun just over a month ago and are finally back under critical ICU levels.

It’s been just around the corner for 20 months!