~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Let’s gooooooooo

1. Non-peer reviewed, cool cool

2. It agrees with what I said :p 

The most important takeaway for those who don’t have a background in statistics to make sense of the numbers themselves

Our findings confirm that the rapid spread of the Omicron VOC primarily can be ascribed to the immune evasiveness rather than an inherent increase in the basic transmissibility.

Anyway, I’m at the beach so I’ll come back later to see the new way the board misunderstands the data 😂

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

1. Non-peer reviewed, cool cool

2. It agrees with what I said :p 

The most important takeaway for those who don’t have a background in statistics to make sense of the numbers themselves

Anyway, I’m at the beach so I’ll come back later to see the new way the board misunderstands the data 😂

If we misunderstand data then you misunderstand English, because what you quoted does not prove that the variant is 'nearly unaffected by vaccination when it comes to preventing infection' (your exact words). In fact, the data is pretty conclusive: it's very affected by it!

• True 1

42 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

"Oh I guess we can't question science anymore!"

*more research gets done, new medicines come out*

"Oh I thought science worked!"

Aaron Rodgers outing himself as a dumb motherfucker is 2021's silveriest lining.

Like you wouldn’t enjoy Broadway Aaron 

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

You poor bastard

I have achieved my Jets fan final form by not watching a single snap they played in the last 2 seasons. I have rooted for them since I was about 10, so I’ve put close to 30 poop gobbling years of effort into this endeavor. The parking lot at the Meadowlands is the only place I’ve been called the n word as an insult, and it came from someone whiter than me which is a high bar to clear. My dues are paid, my conscious is clean. If they ever get good I will hop on the bandwagon without feeling least bit bad. 

But uh, I’m not worried about that happening. 

• Haha 4

I spent 5 minutes in a Kohl’s today for an Amazon return and there’s no doubt in my mind the next variant will be the Kohl’s variant. Just a shitload of unmasked boomers and children with uncovered coughs, sputum everywhere, and a level of personal space I’ve not seen since my buddy’s bachelor party where we were in the VIP section of a strip club. If Zach Snyder was shown Kohl’s footage to use as “before” scenes in a pandemic movie he’d want to do reshoots because it would be too heavy handed. 

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I spent 5 minutes in a Kohl’s today for an Amazon return and there’s no doubt in my mind the next variant will be the Kohl’s variant. Just a shitload of unmasked boomers and children with uncovered coughs, sputum everywhere, and a level of personal space I’ve not seen since the my buddy’s bachelor party where we were in the VIP section of a strip club. If Zach Snyder was shown Kohl’s footage to use as “before” scenes in a pandemic movie he’d want to do reshoots because it would be too heavy handed. 

Rodney Dangerfield here doing an in-store return in the year of our lord 2021, and he has the audacity to single out boomers. 

• Haha 2
  • True 1

32 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

426,000 cases in America so far today, once again setting a record - this is without the probably additional spike from Christmas and New Years Eve gatherings that we will begin to see in the coming days. 

Beg your pardon? Isn't that double the previous record, which was set yesterday?

I’m gonna wager that here in about a week or so most businesses are going to be turning away more and more customers and have temporarily shorter hours because there’s gonna be so much sickness, not necessarily death or hospitalizations, but just nasty shit that you won’t be able to come to work, due to the number of cases. 

I’m still concerned that hospitals are gonna get completely smashed just due to sheer numbers though

Early days, but I am of the belief that SA fared well with Omicron because of a few key factors:

• Incredibly younger population
  • Very few people without prior immunity (vaccine, infection-based, or combo of the two)

Those factors are absent in most of the western world. We have a much higher vaccination rate, but still 20-40% of the population who isn't, and most of those haven't been previously infected. Perhaps in the areas hit worst by previous waves (much of the US, etc) it won't be that bad...but that's not a great thing (much higher death rate than other western nations in last waves).  Even then, I think Omicron is going to kill a lot more people than many are expecting. Data out of Ontario shows a 50% reduction in severity in matched cohorts to Delta. So still deadlier than the original Wuhan strain. But it's going to infect 10x more people.

Still have a lump in my throat, but my mother has been feeling unwell since Sunday and is coughing pretty bad. Still can't find any place that could get us properly tested, and at this point the media is saying if you're sick don't just assume it's a cold, assume it's covid. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Chris- said:

If we misunderstand data then you misunderstand English, because what you quoted does not prove that the variant is 'nearly unaffected by vaccination when it comes to preventing infection' (your exact words). In fact, the data is pretty conclusive: it's very affected by it!

I'll happily retract that sentence as it really isn't important to the broader point that Omicron blunts vaccines as a method of epidemic control with regard to infection. From the paper

SAR.png

In households where the primary infection was an unvaccinated person, 29% of the potential secondary cases were positive. In a household where the primary infection was a booster-vaccinated person, 25% of the potential secondary cases were positive. 70% of all households with a booster-vaccinated primary infection ended up with a secondary infection. I suppose this is a difference to hang your hat on. The study authors don't. And this is with fresh boosters (under 30 days since injection). There is already preliminary data suggesting 30-45 days is the peak before whatever benefit (which the vast majority receive no benefit against infection!) starts dropping off substantially, hence the reason that Israel was about to ramp up second boosters.

In the Omicron era, getting boosted is about maximizing memory cell immunity. Assuming the data collected and shown in the article is fairly accurate and universal across populations (which none of this is, for reasons @CitizenVectronrecently mentioned), it is indeed true that a supermajority of individuals will not be protected from infection even if boosted and because of this vaccination is no longer a good tool to effectively disrupt the spread of the virus. But stopping cases shouldn't be the goal, stopping people from getting very sick should. And the vaccines we have continue to be exceptional at that.

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Like father like son in law. 

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of a beach? It's like a park, but with sand that ruins your car forever.

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I just had a Diplomacy tournament in Vancouver rescheduled from next month to July because the very responsible hosts are worried we won't be allowed to have like a 30 person gathering a month from now, lol at this chucklefuck thinking he can get in declaring himself unvaccinated. 

And not even Vancouver. Fucking Surrey. Was there a few years ago for this tournament before it got moved to the much more civilized New Westminster but the bar we were using burned down earlier this year so a hobby member who owns a hotel in Surrey was setting us up. But man Surrey. Might as well be fucking suburban buttfuck Ohio. 

My mom told me she was supposed to go to a gathering at the Cheesecake factory, but then had to cancel today because she said the friend that she was going with was notified she was exposed to COVID, but then says she can't get a test till next wednesday (which sounds odd).

But my mom said she walked with this lady yesterday (outside) but hopefully she'll be ok