~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Damn, I finally got around to scheduling a booster appointment and I couldn't get one until the end of January.

Did you go with a big chain like CVS? Try walk-ins, also try small independent pharmacies, I got my Moderna shot at the start of this month on short notice from a compounding pharmacy with maybe three or four dozen locations in a few states. I had made an appointment on the 6th for the 11th, but I was flying on the 14th so I wanted it sooner and got a walk-in at a different location of the same pharmacy on the 7th by calling and asking if they were doing walk-ins.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Did you go with a big chain like CVS? Try walk-ins, also try small independent pharmacies, I got my Moderna shot at the start of this month on short notice from a compounding pharmacy with maybe three or four dozen locations in a few states. I had made an appointment on the 6th for the 11th, but I was flying on the 14th so I wanted it sooner and got a walk-in at a different location of the same pharmacy on the 7th by calling and asking if they were doing walk-ins.

Yeah it's at a Safeway/Albertson's/Vons/whatever they're called where you are. They say they do accept walk ins, but it's juuuuust far enough away from me that I can't just pop in whenever on my way to do whatever.

There is a Walgreens that's a lot closer, I could try popping in there on my way to get groceries.

23 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah it's at a Safeway/Albertson's/Vons/whatever they're called where you are. They say they do accept walk ins, but it's juuuuust far enough away from me that I can't just pop in whenever on my way to do whatever.

There is a Walgreens that's a lot closer, I could try popping in there on my way to get groceries.

Later in the day is probably better too, since they'll know if they have leftovers from no shows earlier in the day. But just sticking your head in when it's convenient is still likely enough to get you something. 

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Because it wasn’t a data driven decision. They are throwing in the towel. 

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Very cool that we're cutting isolation times for reasons that have nothing to do with new evidence about how long you're infectious for.

Airlines and other industries were asking for this last week and I'm guessing the clusterfuck with all the canceled flights because of sick crewmembers on the 24th and 25th pushed the CDC into caving on this. Very glad I was able to get home on the 25th despite my initial flight getting canceled so I didn't have to be there worrying if the flight attendants were people who were only back to work because of the CDC giving up. 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Airlines and other industries were asking for this last week and I'm guessing the clusterfuck with all the canceled flights because of sick crewmembers on the 24th and 25th pushed the CDC into caving on this. Very glad I was able to get home on the 25th despite my initial flight getting canceled so I didn't have to be there worrying if the flight attendants were people who were only back to work because of the CDC giving up. 

That might be part of it but the bigger picture is that this is simply a losing fight. There isn’t enough political or societal willpower to do what truly needs to be done in order to control spread, and at this point pretending otherwise is just tilting at windmills. 

This is what life will look like now. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

That might be part of it but the bigger picture is that this is simply a losing fight. There isn’t enough political or societal willpower to do what truly needs to be done in order to control spread, and at this point pretending otherwise is just tilting at windmills. 

This is what life will look like now. 

As contagious as Omicron is, controlling spread would be difficult, even if we had a totalitarian government.

I think there is an argument to be made that things like public health policy can’t be about the optimal outcome, but the realistic expectations the government can have on it’s people.

(these are made up numbers to illustrate the point)

If the optimal policy is 10 days and a negative test, but only 10% of people do it, you may be better off with 5 days and waning symptoms if 50% will do that. In that sense, giving up on the optimal for the practical produces better outcomes in the aggregate.

I foresee more of these types of decisions in the coming months as we fully transition into “living with Covid” part of the pandemic

Governments can only:

1)  Get as many people boosted as they can

2)  Enact war-time measures to get as many anti-Covid pills in the hospitals as possible (this is likely a measure that we won't see the benefits of for a few months)

3)  Convince at risk people they should be wearing CN95 masks

4)  Hope that Omicron really has low virulence.

What else can they do?

This is the exact same bullshit as when they told us masks weren't necessary:

[Dr. Céline Gounder, an infectious disease expert at New York University] and others pointed out that the CDC may not have included testing requirements in their update because the country is currently seeing shortages of rapid tests and long lines at testing centers. "CDC's isolation policy is being driven by a scarcity of rapid antigen tests," she concluded. But, Mina pushed back on this excuse, calling it an "artificial" problem stemming from a failure to fortify testing capacity earlier in the pandemic.

GettyImages-1237410501-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Data backs shorter periods, but experts say testing is key.

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I’m of the mindset that if Trump were still President, most of us wouldn’t be vaccinated because the rollout would have been shit.

I feel that if he won, he would have continued to feed raw meat to his base instead of touting the vaccines effectiveness as he has, but what do I know 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I’m of the mindset that if Trump were still President, most of us wouldn’t be vaccinated because the rollout would have been shit.

All of the doses would have been sent to Texas and Florida to stick it to the libs.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

22 minutes ago, CayceG said:

@Joe I'm feeling more and more vindicated in my stance regarding Biden's Covid response with all this new news :p 

No, not really. He could completely fuck up the response the rest of the way, but it wouldn’t change that the clip was out of context and a garbage right wing talking point. 

The fact that only Jason agrees with you should be your clue here, amigo :p

• Haha 1
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

No, not really. He could completely fuck up the response the rest of the way, but it wouldn’t change that the clip was out of context and a garbage right wing talking point. 

boondock-saints-willem-dafoe.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I reject Jason's agreement. 

• Haha 4

image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

A five-fold increase in pediatric admissions in New York City this month. Close to double the numbers admitted in Washington, D.C. And nationwide, on average, pediatric...

Most of the really sick children are unvaccinated or under-vaccinated, he said. "I can tell you that virtually all of our kids that are hospitalized have either been unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated -- maybe having received one dose but not having the second dose and not having the full protection from the vaccine," Spinner said.

There goes the "kids don't even need vaccines, it doesn't benefit them at all" argument.

• Sad 1

So my wifes boss had a patient come in this morning for a minor surgery. This patient was required to have a negative covid test prior to coming in. The patient had their doctor call my wifes office and verify the negative results . Doctor said the test was done in her office and was negative .Jump to this afternoon and i have all the symptoms that @sblfilms has, and my wife decides to call the same doctors office to see if she could get me in for a test. She doesnt tell them who she is or where she works, the nurse there says "we dont do that here", my wife says "really? a friend swears she had a test done there recently". Nurse says"100 percent, if we did them I would be the one doing or overseeing it. My wifes boss is ready to go full on Chernobyl , he deals with hundreds of at risk patients and is at risk himself.

• Guillotine 5
  • Shocked 2

5 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

So my wifes boss had a patient come in this morning for a minor surgery. This patient was required to have a negative covid test prior to coming in. The patient had their doctor call my wifes office and verify the negative results . Doctor said the test was done in her office and was negative .Jump to this afternoon and i have all the symptoms that @sblfilms has, and my wife decides to call the same doctors office to see if she could get me in for a test. She doesnt tell them who she is or where she works, the nurse there says "we dont do that here", my wife says "really? a friend swears she had a test done there recently". Nurse says"100 percent, if we did them I would be the one doing or overseeing it. My wifes boss is ready to go full on Chernobyl , he deals with hundreds of at risk patients and is at risk himself.

So was the doctor a fake or did the doctor lie?