~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I keep thinking I have it but it’s my goddamn allergies with the ground getting wet. Some sort of mold I know I’m allergic too is running rampant but same shit I’m to look for with Omicron. I know I don’t have it because my neck will randomly break out in hives after being outside with the dogs. Although my sleep has been shot the past 3 nights with me feeling hotter then hell. I’m sleeping with my window open and ceiling fan are at night, during “winter”

Called my uncle to tell him we wouldn’t be coming for the Christmas party for my mom’s side of the family this evening. He said he was about to call me as the party was cancelled due to how many people were coming down with Covid. This part of my family is like 95% vaccinated and the majority of adults are boosted. Omicron is coming for everybody.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Called my uncle to tell him we wouldn’t be coming for the Christmas party for my mom’s side of the family this evening. He said he was about to call me as the party was cancelled due to how many people were coming down with Covid. This part of my family is like 95% vaccinated and the majority of adults are boosted. Omicron is coming for everybody.

It really is, although if you’re the UK government you just pretend it isn’t.

While I’m feeding the baby my wife is talking to her friends and one is telling about her partners recent covid diagnosis. They called into work and said that they’re feeling sick but work said essentially that it’s too late you have to come in anyway. Turns out they got covid and their work still wanted them to come in! And this was at a media company in New York!

No shit we can’t get this thing under control!

I had to go drop off a trailer I borrowed to pick up some equipment. About 4 hours round trip. I get back home and notice food containers from a local restaurant we frequent. I assumed they had ordered delivery. Nope, wife and the in-laws all went out to eat despite almost certainly having 6 or 7 currently symptomatic Covid cases in the group that went.

I am usually pretty gentle with how I talk to my wife, but the juxtaposition of that outing with them voting not to allow the other Covid positive family members from coming to Christmas and my family cancelling Christmas due to Covid cases really sent me over the edge. Just selfishness and hypocrisy of the most obvious on display. I told her she should apologize to her sister for excluding them from Christmas and then turning right around and exposing a bunch of people in a restaurant without a care.

Her family is full of inconsiderate morons that take advantage of me not being there to pressure my wife into whatever idiotic ideas they have. This isn’t the first time, but it just may be the last.

And now my throat is a bit sore and my nose a bit runny. Gonna go get tested in the morning, not that it matters. Going to operate as though it’s Covid regardless. One thing I wish would become more common is staying home when you’re sick even after Covid eventually recedes into endemic status. Tons of negative externalities with sick people being out in public even outside of the pandemic.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I had to go drop off a trailer I borrowed to pick up some equipment. About 4 hours round trip. I get back home and notice food containers from a local restaurant we frequent. I assumed they had ordered delivery. Nope, wife and the in-laws all went out to eat despite almost certainly having 6 or 7 currently symptomatic Covid cases in the group that went.

I am usually pretty gentle with how I talk to my wife, but the juxtaposition of that outing with them voting not to allow the other Covid positive family members from coming to Christmas and my family cancelling Christmas due to Covid cases really sent me over the edge. Just selfishness and hypocrisy of the most obvious on display. I told her she should apologize to her sister for excluding them from Christmas and then turning right around and exposing a bunch of people in a restaurant without a care.

Her family is full of inconsiderate morons that take advantage of me not being there to pressure my wife into whatever idiotic ideas they have. This isn’t the first time, but it just may be the last.

And now my throat is a bit sore and my nose a bit runny. Gonna go get tested in the morning, not that it matters. Going to operate as though it’s Covid regardless. One thing I wish would become more common is staying home when you’re sick even after Covid eventually recedes into endemic status. Tons of negative externalities with sick people being out in public even outside of the pandemic.

I have definitely been part of the problem when it comes to working when ill. Sadly, although I know I wouldn’t be impacted (employment wise) by being ill, I still have a hangover from a previous job where being off was a terrible thing. I remember being in a manager meeting where it was agreed we wouldn’t give someone a chance to progress (well, a very small sideways move) as they’d been off twice in 6 months. It was senior management opinions that we just went along with.

33 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I have definitely been part of the problem when it comes to working when ill. Sadly, although I know I wouldn’t be impacted (employment wise) by being ill, I still have a hangover from a previous job where being off was a terrible thing. I remember being in a manager meeting where it was agreed we wouldn’t give someone a chance to progress (well, a very small sideways move) as they’d been off twice in 6 months. It was senior management opinions that we just went along with.

Yeah, it’s a systemic issue even in nations with better worker protections than the US. And a lot of it comes down to the understanding workers have that things like that do get counted against you even if they are afforded to you as law or merely company policy. “Good” employees always show up, even though it would actually be better for the firm if sick employees stay home and avoid spreading their illness to others.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Fuck man that sounds rough. I'm sorry. 

Our niece who we took in with us to continue schooling (who was kicked out by her trash mom) is moving out...back to her anti-vaxx mom's. The reason? We said she can't go out with friends for the next week or so while we wait for more info on our Omicron wave. We suspect she has a secret boyfriend. More to follow in the community thread when I have time, but we're upset.

• Sad 6