~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Booked my niece's booster for tomorrow night (her age group just became eligible this morning), so happy about that. My province is the only place in Canada not to have seen an Omicron wave yet, so we're still planning to see direct family (i.e. dinner with just the parents) on Christmas Eve, and then Boxing Day. Everyone has to take rapid tests both days, and now everyone will have at least three shots in them (though three of us will only have had them for a few days). However, if cases start to rise here then we might hold off, we'll see.

Also I made a dumb mistake yesterday while getting my booster—the nurse asked me something like "you received Pfizer for your first two doses, you are all right with Pfizer again?" I said yes, but I should have asked if I could get a Moderna instead! I mean, realistically it will make little difference for me. Or I could have asked for AZ, got the needle in a fake arm, and shipped the arm to @Jason so he could suck the fluid from it.

</3

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
merlin_199252914_b50f66d9-0f8c-47aa-a6a5
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A 50-microgram dose increased antibodies by roughly 37-fold, and a full dose of 100 micrograms was even more powerful, the company said.

Damnit, should have lied and said I'm immunocompromise to get the full dose. 

Ontario is getting slammed on cases.

Hospitalizations are going up, just not as fast as the cases.

The one thing I will highlight is the testing lag.  The results I received from my test (taken Friday Morning - Received Sunday 8PM.) took a full day longer than my daughter's (Tuesday Afternoon - received Thursday 7AM).  The positive cases are thus likely being somewhat understated, so growth rate is probably understated as well.

Case counts are still relatively low in the populated areas -- which are showing the signs of exponential growth.  So, lots of room for the case counts to increase over the next 2 weeks.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Ontario is getting slammed on cases.

The other major issue Ontario has is that it can't seem to ever get vaccine rollout right. I mean, people are signing up today for boosters and not getting any options before mid-February!! I know that the province dismantled its mass-vacc program...but fucking spool it back up! In Saskatchewan you can just go to one of the hundreds of walk-in clinics, book online at one of the large mass-vacc stations (in my city, it's an entire old Costco building that can do hundreds of people an hour), or, if you really want, get it done at a pharmacy. 

Today Saskatchewan also opened it up to 18+ for boosters, and we got my niece a spot tomorrow evening really easily. I think right now the latest spots out are like, two weeks, and that's if you really need it on a specific time/day.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The other major issue Ontario has is that it can't seem to ever get vaccine rollout right. I mean, people are signing up today for boosters and not getting any options before mid-February!! I know that the province dismantled its mass-vacc program...but fucking spool it back up! In Saskatchewan you can just go to one of the hundreds of walk-in clinics, book online at one of the large mass-vacc stations (in my city, it's an entire old Costco building that can do hundreds of people an hour), or, if you really want, get it done at a pharmacy. 

Today Saskatchewan also opened it up to 18+ for boosters, and we got my niece a spot tomorrow evening really easily. I think right now the latest spots out are like, two weeks, and that's if you really need it on a specific time/day.

How are they doing them?  Here in the US any store that has a pharmacy has COVID vaccines.  I got boostered at Costco, but they're at every Walmart, Kroger, CVS, Walgreens, everywhere.  I got my first round at a mass vaccine site in a YMCA.

4 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

How are they doing them?  Here in the US any store that has a pharmacy has COVID vaccines.  I got boostered at Costco, but they're at every Walmart, Kroger, CVS, Walgreens, everywhere.  I got my first round at a mass vaccine site in a YMCA.

It depends on the province. In mine, the majority of vaccinations are done by the provincial health authority. That means you can book online for one of their vaccination centres, or go to a walk-in clinic (they rotate locations, often at schools, community centres, etc). Pharmacies also have them, but are typically appointment-based.

I just went looking for a booked appointment through the Hilton website in Ontario and the nearest appointment date they showed was Feb 18th. Although it looks like almost all the pharmacies are also doing the boosters. I don’t think I’ll book online and take my chance and just walk in and get it from a Rexall, Shopper’s Drug Mart or local grocery store pharmacy

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A 50-microgram dose increased antibodies by roughly 37-fold, and a full dose of 100 micrograms was even more powerful, the company said.

Moderna’s results show that the currently authorized booster dose of 50 micrograms — half the dose given for primary immunization — increased the level of antibodies by roughly 37-fold, the company said. A full dose of 100 micrograms was even more powerful, raising antibody levels about 83-fold compared with pre-boost levels, Moderna said.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

and my full Moderna was on top of a third Pfizer 💪
  • SARS-CoV-2 1

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The only reason he’s for the vaccine I’m sure is because he knows he’ he almost died from it. 

God if only

You can see why he is for it in the clip, he’s really annoyed that his base is anti-vaccine and the rest of the country doesn’t really care that his administration made the right call with operation warp speed. It is just about the only real positive achievement and he can’t even enjoy that one.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You can see why he is for it in the clip, he’s really annoyed that his base is anti-vaccine and the rest of the country doesn’t really care that his administration made the right call with operation warp speed. It is just about the only real positive achievement and he can’t even enjoy that one.

Pfizer vaccine had nothing to do with OWS. 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think anyone could say he's been consistently enthusiastic about the vaccines... he didn't even tell his followers he was vaccinated. 

Folks, believe me, nobody has been more consistently enthusiastic about vaccines, bigly, than the Donald. 

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think anyone could say he's been consistently enthusiastic about the vaccines... he didn't even tell his followers he was vaccinated. 

The opposition to the vaccine from his base began before Biden ever took office. Not surprising he was initially muted on it. I think he is just annoyed now because he wants credit quite badly 😂