~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 10/5/2021 at 10:50 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really cannot find the words to express my feelings about this if it is even remotely accurate:

211005-teresa-sperry-cover-jm-1152-bf49b
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

A Virginia girl died of Covid-19 complications days after she started showing symptoms, according to her parents, who said she may have been exposed as a result of being classroom "nurse."

While this is terrible, and I feel horrible for the parents, but that child was clearly not healthy. Obesity has been a major comorbidity this whole pandemic. 

There is nothing healthy about being obese at any age, and our governments and media need to make that very, very clear. The parents are definitely right to be upset about the school putting her in proximity to sick children, but they also need to look at their own parenting as well. 

Nobody should be shamed for their weight, but they shouldn't be lied to about it either. 

23 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

While this is terrible, and I feel horrible for the parents, but that child was clearly not healthy. Obesity has been a major comorbidity this whole pandemic. 

There is nothing healthy about being obese at any age, and our governments and media need to make that very, very clear. The parents are definitely right to be upset about the school putting her in proximity to sick children, but they also need to look at their own parenting as well. 

Nobody should be shamed for their weight, but they shouldn't be lied to about it either. 

At what point in medical school did they teach you how to diagnose a child based on a single photo?

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

At what point in medical school did they teach you how to diagnose a child based on a single photo?

Yeah, medical school is absolutely required to know obesity wreaks havoc on your body, especially your heart and lungs, which covid attacks directly....

Its frightening the way obesity is ignored by the public. We should be treating obesity the same as we treat smoking . An extreme health risk.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, medical school is absolutely required to know obesity wreaks havoc on your body, especially your heart and lungs, which covid attacks directly....

Its frightening the way obesity is ignored by the public. We should be treating obesity the same as we treat smoking  as an extreme health risk.

So what makes you qualified to judge the health of a child you know nothing about? Or the quality of their parenting? Growing up my girlfriend looked like that, and her parents did everything they could - nutritionists, diets, exercise camps, the works. You know what they finally figured out? She had an undiagnosed adrenal disease. 

You know jack shit, so I suggest you keep that mind. 

106882708-1620925086522-gettyimages-1232
WWW.CNBC.COM

The news couldn't come any sooner for parents anxious to get their children vaccinated against Covid-19.

Pfizer said Thursday it asked the Food and Drug Administration to authorize its Covid-19 vaccine with BioNTech for kids ages 5 to 11.

The news couldn’t come any sooner for parents anxious to get their children vaccinated as kids start the new school year with the delta variant surging across America. The strain has led to a surge in U.S. hospitalizations, including among young kids who are currently ineligible to get vaccinated.

Last month, Pfizer released new data that showed a two-dose regimen of 10 micrograms — a third of the dosage used for teens and adults – is safe and generates a “robust” immune response in a clinical trial of young children. It said the shots were well tolerated and produced an immune response and side effects comparable with those seen in a study of people ages 16 to 25.

family-cooking_600px.jpg
WWW.CDC.GOV

Behavior, community, and genetics play a role.
share_ency_1.jpg
MEDLINEPLUS.GOV

When children eat more than they need, their bodies store the extra calories in fat cells to use for energy later. If their bodies do not need this stored energy, they develop more fat cells and may become

10 year old girls are getting ready to jump start into puberty, which means they are packing on weight. Often this happens before they hit growth spurts which means they are growing out before they go up. Along with this their blood sugar is going haywire and they eat sweets and other junk as a way to normalize it. My daughter at age 11 looked like a 4 foot tall bowling ball and by 15 she was a 5 ft 9 size 4. So while this child could be obese a si gle photo and telling of shit . Some of yall internet doctors need to slow down .

• True 1

zoi210329t1_1622212582.16563.png?Expires
JAMANETWORK.COM

This cross-sectional study examines the risk of severe COVID-19 illness among children associated with underlying medical conditions and medical complexity.

This cross-sectional study found a higher risk of severe COVID-19 illness among children with medical complexity and certain underlying conditions, such as type 1 diabetes, cardiac and circulatory congenital anomalies, and obesity. Health care practitioners could consider the potential need for close observation and cautious clinical management of children with these conditions and COVID-19.

Underlying medical conditions were present in 12 491 children with COVID-19 (28.7%) and 2708 hospitalized children with COVID-19 (62.9%) 

Among 4302 children hospitalized with COVID-19, risk of severe COVID-19 illness (ie, experiencing ICU admission, IMV, or death) was the highest among children with type 1 diabetes (aRR, 2.38; 95% CI, 2.06-2.76), cardiac and circulatory congenital anomalies (aRR, 1.72; 95% CI, 1.48-1.99), and epilepsy and/or convulsions (aRR, 1.71; 95% CI, 1.41-2.08). Other conditions associated with higher risk were obesity (aRR, 1.42; 95% CI, 1.22-1.66); essential hypertension (aRR, 1.39; 95% CI, 1.19-1.63); sleep/wake disorders, including sleep apnea (aRR, 1.26; 95% CI, 1.09-1.45); and other specified status (aRR, 1.25; 95% CI, 1.07-1.47)

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

10 year old girls are getting ready to jump start into puberty, which means they are packing on weight. Often this happens before they hit growth spurts which means they are growing out before they go up. Along with this their blood sugar is going haywire and they eat sweets and other junk as a way to normalize it. My daughter at age 11 looked like a 4 foot tall bowling ball and by 15 she was a 5 ft 9 size 4. So while this child could be obese a si gle photo and telling of shit . Some of yall internet doctors need to slow down .

48787743-10060961-image-m-17_16334417840

28 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
zoi210329t1_1622212582.16563.png?Expires
JAMANETWORK.COM

This cross-sectional study examines the risk of severe COVID-19 illness among children associated with underlying medical conditions and medical complexity.

48787743-10060961-image-m-17_16334417840

What is this supposed to prove?

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think we can quit right now with the specifics of this dead child.

As someone who has had to justify my decision to send my 5-year old daughter to in-person (as opposed to remote) school to numerous family members.

I frequently get sent similar stories to justify what a horrible parent I am.

I'll just say my reaction comes from a different place than attacking these parents.

15 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I am a cold hearted fuck but Jesus this board continues to hit some real lows.

There's a serious case of "COVID is only killing people that were going to die anyway" going around the Internet to justify the thousands of people dying everyday. Any excuse imaginable comes up to explain why someone died of COVID instead of just blaming the shitty response to the pandemic from half the population.

47 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

What is this supposed to prove?

COVID has very low mortality rates for children -- particularly those with no underlying conditions nor cormorbities.

Fearmongering by the media, suggesting that healthy children are dying (in any significant number) is simply not helpful to those of us who are trying to navigate the pandemic with children who are not yet able to be vaccinated.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

COVID has very low mortality rates for children -- particularly those with no underlying conditions nor cormorbities.

Fearmongering by the media, suggesting that healthy children are dying (in any significant number) is simply not helpful to those of us who are trying to navigate the pandemic with children who are not yet able to be vaccinated.

That wasn’t the point of the story.

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

COVID is killing kids because half this nation is wildly endangering them. My oldest is in school, in person. He's less at risk not because of his health but because his school takes actual precautions to prevent the spread of COVID. That includes, but is not limited to, a mask mandate; testing everyone, including the vaccinated, for COVID on a weekly basis; and vaccine mandates for all the teachers and staff. Again, the reason why there's an uptick of children dying of COVID is because adults that don't take the disease seriously are willingly exposing these children because it has a "low mortality rate".

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

COVID is killing kids because half this nation is wildly endangering them. My oldest is in school, in person. He's less at risk not because of his health but because his school takes actual precautions to prevent the staff of COVID. That includes, but is not limited to, a mask mandate; testing everyone, including the vaccinated, for COVID on a weekly basis; and vaccine mandates for all the teachers and staff. Again, the reason why there's an uptick of children dying of COVID is because adults that don't take the disease seriously are willingly exposing these children because it has a "low mortality rate".

In my area -- 1/3 of children are still electing for remote learning.

17 children have died in Canada during the entire pandemic.  0.1% of the total, despite them representing 20% of the cases.

Children aren't dying in large numbers.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

17 children have died in Canada during the entire pandemic.  0.1% of the total, despite them representing 20% of the cases.

So you’re being an ogre because you’re mad that your family members are giving you crap about sending your kids to school in person?

The cult of "death is the only bad thing" (like we know the long term effects of infection on people generally and children specifically given their unique physiology) is the most harmful thing I'm sick of responding to.

Like look at this kid and tell me that the only thing to worry about is death.

Like my newborn has a heart murmur. Pediatric cardiologist says it's ok for now but who's to say in 3 months for the next checkup? Does this make her high risk? It's cold fucking comfort when you can't really know what high risk is because it can't be diagnosed yet, and the only thing people talk about is how few children have died and how they were all "high risk".

As if it would not DESTROY an entire family for even one death. My grandma lost a child at less than one year old and buried her around Christmas. She was depressed for years and would never talk about it, I found out through my dad and aunt. I don't want that for my family or anyone's. I know this is rambling on a bit by now but I've had it with the serious effects that this virus has on kids and families being minimized or disregarded as if a relatively low number of pediatric deaths is just fine when it is not. I'm not necessarily directing this at anyone here but Jesus fuck man I just can't stand it anywhere.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's almost like Canada has been handling the pandemic better than the US. At least in your area 1/3 of students can elect to go remote. My Republican governor squashed that saying it was of utmost importance that 100% of students are in person this school year.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

How am I being an ogre?

The story here is that girl died needlessly because she was forced to constantly be around sick classmates. You’re victim shaming her and posting a picture of her family as if that says something. It’s grotesque.