~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F1003%2Fr917858_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins has received his COVID-19 vaccine and will be eligible to play home games for Golden State, coach Steve Kerr told reporters Sunday after practice.

Apparently not getting to play (and be paid) for 41 games was enough to get him vaccinated. Imagine how much more it will work on normies for which half their salary isn’t still millions of dollars!

33 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Why would I hate Keyser? I just said curse you cuz he said to read the past few pages of this thread to Chris. So I read them and I blamed him for putting this evil on me. We even had a baby together. Bacon_Soze was its name. Dyed when it was just a kid. 

My man

On 10/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

So weird that people are hesitant to take the vaccines because they are new drugs but aren't hesitant to take the anti-viral treatments which are also new. Cognitive disonance in full display.

Well, I do know one person who has an actual phobia of needles, like legitimate fear, and this will help. The Saw needle pit scene literally kept her awake a whole night after she saw it. It's why she hasn't been vaccinated. Phobias are weird. But, yes, I also realize that she is a tiny, tiny minority, and most unvaccinated are just crazy people. 

11 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Well, I do know one person who has an actual phobia of needles, like legitimate fear, and this will help. The Saw needle pit scene literally kept her awake a whole night after she saw it. It's why she hasn't been vaccinated. Phobias are weird. But, yes, I also realize that she is a tiny, tiny minority, and most unvaccinated are just crazy people. 

I get what you’re saying, but just to be clear: this pill is not a replacement for nor an alternative to a vaccine. It is not an oral vaccine. We need a lot more information about this pill before anyone rejoices; if it’s like tamiflu in terms of timing to be effective, it’s a step forward but isn’t going to help the majority of people dying or in the ICU. For clarity, Tamiflu needs to be taken within 24 hours of symptoms first starting for maximum effectiveness, 72 hours being the max before it’s almost worthless. I’m not saying this is the case with Merk’s pill, I’m citing examples of why we need a hell of a lot more information.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I mean, ill definitely have a gathering for Christmas. Some of this has to stop. We got vaccinated to get back to normal.

Covid isn't going anywhere, irs here too stay. Those who aren't protected can't be our concern forever. They made their choice and need to live (or in some cases, not live) with the consequences. 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I get what you’re saying, but just to be clear: this pill is not a replacement for nor an alternative to a vaccine. It is not an oral vaccine. We need a lot more information about this pill before anyone rejoices; if it’s like tamiflu in terms of timing to be effective, it’s a step forward but isn’t going to help the majority of people dying or in the ICU. For clarity, Tamiflu needs to be taken within 24 hours of symptoms first starting for maximum effectiveness, 72 hours being the max before it’s almost worthless. I’m not saying this is the case with Merk’s pill, I’m citing examples of why we need a hell of a lot more information.

Oh, definitely. I feel bad for her, because she is socially conscious and has been avoiding contact with people. Its good to know there is treatment.

She said if she could be put to sleep before seeing the needle, she'd be all for it. Don't think thats an option tho.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

I mean, ill definitely have a gathering for Christmas. Some of this has to stop. We got vaccinated to get back to normal.

Covid isn't going anywhere, irs here too stay. Those who aren't protected can't be our concern forever. They made their choice and need to live (or in some cases, not live) with the consequences. 

Oh, definitely. I feel bad for her, because she is socially conscious and has been avoiding contact with people. Its good to know there is treatment.

She said if she could be put to sleep before seeing the needle, she'd be all for it. Don't think thats an option tho.

I have a fear of needles, a big fear. I never bothered to be diagnosed as to if it’s actually a phobia or not, however, what’s helped me with blood work/shots/whatever is mostly to not look and keep my eyes shut as soon as I sit down. Alternatively, she could probably ask her doctor about xanax or something pre-vaccine.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I knew someone who was afraid of needles as well. If you're there for reassurance things should go by just fine. Being afraid of needles is not an excuse.

There's a difference between fear and phobia. Phobia is very much an uncontrollable problem. I haven't spoken to her in a while, but ill definitely have the wife ask her if that would help.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I have a fear of needles, a big fear. I never bothered to be diagnosed as to if it’s actually a phobia or not, however, what’s helped me with blood work/shots/whatever is mostly to not look and keep my eyes shut as soon as I sit down. Alternatively, she could probably ask her doctor about xanax or something pre-vaccine.

Im also going to have the wife ask her about this. 

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

There's a difference between fear and phobia. Phobia is very much an uncontrollable problem. I haven't spoken to her in a while, but ill definitely have the wife ask her if that would help.

I’m aware :p

As I said, I never attempted to be diagnosed, which is why I noted as such as I don’t want to misrepresent. However, my actions/whatever around needles fits (or used to) the phobia diagnosis. Even seeing ones on TV, video games, illustrations, descriptions, etc makes me cringe and my heart race and turn slightly pale. Every time someone posts a video or pic of them getting their vaccine, if I can see the actual needle on the syringe, my entire body shutters.

I basically forced myself to find ways to deal with it, and it was not easy by any stretch of the imagination. :)

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The study results showed the halving of hospitalization when taken within 5 days if the onset of symptoms. There is plenty of information publicly available on it.

The major benefit of this over other therapeutics is it can be administered at home, which frees up a lot of resources currently being used up in hospitals and clinics with IV drips of monoclonal antibodies and other treatments.

Also far easier to ship pill packs to the developing world which can be taken at home than to try and get hospitals set up with the IV treatments in these regions that have even worse staffing conditions than the western world is facing in light of large scale burn out by medical professionals.

I mod a local reddit city sub, and I might resign because of disagreements about enforcing the ban on COVID misinformation. Most of the mods are white guys in their thirties (like most people on forums and reddit), and all cut their teeth in the 2000s on forums when it was considered a good thing to have "thick skin," and tolerate a bunch of internet-freedom-spew. Basically, they have the view that we should let downvotes deal with anti-vaxxers, and only remove the most egregious posts. I hard disagree, believing that deplatforming large groups and banning individuals are good ways to control misinformation. I recently banned someone for misinformation and the others overturned it, saying that he was being polite, etc. Yeah...while spreading lies that kill people. I also brought up the context around the banned user (that he belongs to an open anti-vaxxer group, what he's posted on other subs, and that he voted for the far-right PPC party in Canada), and was told that we don't judge people on where else they post, or how they vote. Jesus fuck.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mod a local reddit city sub, and I might resign because of disagreements about enforcing the ban on COVID misinformation. Most of the mods are white guys in their thirties (like most people on forums and reddit), and all cut their teeth in the 2000s on forums when it was considered a good thing to have "thick skin," and tolerate a bunch of internet-freedom-spew. Basically, they have the view that we should let downvotes deal with anti-vaxxers, and only remove the most egregious posts. I hard disagree, believing that deplatforming large groups and banning individuals are good ways to control misinformation. I recently banned someone for misinformation and the others overturned it, saying that he was being polite, etc. Yeah...while spreading lies that kill people. I also brought up the context around the banned user (that he belongs to an open anti-vaxxer group, what he's posted on other subs, and that he voted for the far-right PPC party in Canada), and was told that we don't judge people on where else they post, or how they vote. Jesus fuck.

Turns out that “don’t feed / ignore the trolls” has always been horrible and misguided advice. Good luck.

• True 1

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Turns out that “don’t feed / ignore the trolls” has always been horrible and misguided advice. Good luck.

Not feeding them is good advice, mods not banning them isn't. 

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mod a local subreddit too and checking where else they post is one of the first things I do. I hate when subs like the donald get banned since it makes it harder to quickly search their history with mod toolbox. 

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

When they are constantly spreading misinformation re: vaccines, then I'd say it does some good.

It is like pouring your bottle of water on the skyscraper that is ablaze. It does literally nothing because there are nearly an infinite number of other places where the same nonsense will be shared.

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Banning people on your local forum does literally nothing more than make you feel good. Don’t pretend it does anything more than that :p 

Making those small forms a more pleasant place to be is worth it in of itself, I’m not going to pretend that it’s accomplishing anything grander than that.

5 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I get kind of tired of people complaining about people gathering for outdoor sports.  Has there been documented increase in spread with the outdoor gatherings?  The BLM protests last year didn't lead to a bump.  Comparing Christmas gatherings to baseball games is silly, one is outdoors in the open air and sun, the other is in someone's living room with a lot of people sharing air in a small space.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is like pouring your bottle of water on the skyscraper that is ablaze. It does literally nothing because there are nearly an infinite number of other places where the same nonsense will be shared.

True, but at least that place is more tolerable, which is the goal of the moderation of the subreddit.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t love needles and had a few bad experiences.  I’ve gotten over it for years now but still don’t look and don’t like the feeling but she should know that it’s not a normal needle.  I was surprised when I saw it.  She needs to know it’s tiny and you don’t feel anything at all and it takes 1 second.  Again, very different than needles I’ve had before.

33 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I get kind of tired of people complaining about people gathering for outdoor sports.  Has there been documented increase in spread with the outdoor gatherings?  The BLM protests last year didn't lead to a bump.  Comparing Christmas gatherings to baseball games is silly, one is outdoors in the open air and sun, the other is in someone's living room with a lot of people sharing air in a small space.

And sharing food.  Did Biden grab a nacho from some rando behind him

43 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Making those small forms a more pleasant place to be is worth it in of itself, I’m not going to pretend that it’s accomplishing anything grander than that.

Local politics do get discussed so don't need morons spreading FUD. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The study results showed the halving of hospitalization when taken within 5 days if the onset of symptoms.

All patients within the study were given molnupiravir or placebo within 5-days. We do not know how effective day 5 was vs day 1. We also must take into account that, in real world application, within 5-days of symptoms starting is a short window as one must recognize that they are sick, it might be covid, get a test, get a doctor's appointment and script for molnupiravir. It could be argued that if one has any "covid-like" symptoms they are immediately given a script for molnupiravir while they await a covid test, however, we do not know of any side-effects this pill may have yet.
This is what I'm talking about when I say that we need more information before rejoicing. As I already stated, it is a step in the right direction, regardless, and I'm not arguing against that. What I am arguing is that this is not a substitute for vaccination, and one should not look at this pill as an alternative to vaccination.

There is plenty of information publicly available on it.

The Phase 3 trial was made public? Do you have a link?

The major benefit of this over other therapeutics is it can be administered at home, which frees up a lot of resources currently being used up in hospitals and clinics with IV drips of monoclonal antibodies and other treatments.

Also far easier to ship pill packs to the developing world which can be taken at home than to try and get hospitals set up with the IV treatments in these regions that have even worse staffing conditions than the western world is facing in light of large scale burn out by medical professionals.

I never said or meant to insinuate otherwise.

27 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I don’t love needles and had a few bad experiences.  I’ve gotten over it for years now but still don’t look and don’t like the feeling but she should know that it’s not a normal needle.  I was surprised when I saw it.  She needs to know it’s tiny and you don’t feel anything at all and it takes 1 second.  Again, very different than needles I’ve had before.

Yes, there's barely even a pinch to it as it's a very thin needle. However, most fears/phobias for needles isn't regarding the pain, it's the very sight of the needle that gives a reaction. :(