~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I'm having a colonoscopy on Monday and I have to get a COVID test today to be allowed into the colonoscopy facility even though I submitted my vaccination card. They're making me go to one specific location in a hospital to get this test, they won't accept it from anywhere else. So now I'm sitting in a crowded waiting room. Seems smart to force a bunch of people waiting for a COVID test into a crowded room, not like I could test negative today and then be contagious Monday because I caught it in this waiting room. 

Israel! Israel! Israel!

Here's a fun fact. Last time I checked, Israel had a 61% vaccination rate, actually worse than the US... but for some reason every anti-vaxxers points to them as some sort of proof that vaccines don't work.

They have the same problem we do. Too many selfish uncaring people who refuse to get vaccinated are making it worse for everyone.

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Israel! Israel! Israel!

Here's a fun fact. Last time I checked, Israel had a 61% vaccination rate, actually worse than the US... but for some reason every anti-vaxxers points to them as some sort of proof that vaccines don't work.

They have the same problem we do. Too many selfish uncaring people who refuse to get vaccinated are making it worse for everyone.

When was the last time you checked, and did you take into consideration that the "vaccinated" status changed based on the boosters (you are considered "vaccinated" up to six months after your second or booster shot)? They were nearing 80% at one time (mentioned multiple times by like posters @sblfilms in this thread).

So, you actually can't compare the vaccination rates of the countries anymore; the KPI is calculated differently. Data out of Israel is mainly interesting from a booster perspective, showing the need. Its not about it showing it "doesn't work," its speaking to its waning effects. 

20 hours ago, elbobo said:

My future sister in-law tested positive yesterday. Honestly it is a minor miracle that she did not catch it prior. She is one of the head NPs at a local ICU, her specialization is respiratory so she has been at the extreme front lines since the beginning, fully vaxed since January. 

little update, she is doing fine. Only symptoms so far are a loss of taste and smell. 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't think anyone knows how dangerous it is yet.  I think there are some very real concerns that it COULD become a serious problem.

Was this every right...

Honestly, I'm impressed reading how everyone processed this the first few pages. While there was understandable apprehension about this, it was very fact-based and informative. Kudos to everyone.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:56 PM, Jason said:

On 2/24/2020 at 10:10 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Cancer can't get him quick enough

Not quick enough but didn't have to wait too much longer.

• True 1

While we're digging up old posts from this thread:

On 2/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, Jason said:

On 2/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The DJIA plunged 600+ points as soon as the CDC announced that the US should be prepared for a significant outbreak.

Personally, I view it as a ludicrous overreaction but OLOLOLOLOLOLO @ Larry "Cokehead" Kudlow for his timing.

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

When was the last time you checked, and did you take into consideration that the "vaccinated" status changed based on the boosters (you are considered "vaccinated" up to six months after your second or booster shot)? They were nearing 80% at one time (mentioned multiple times by like posters @sblfilms in this thread).

So, you actually can't compare the vaccination rates of the countries anymore; the KPI is calculated differently. Data out of Israel is mainly interesting from a booster perspective, showing the need. Its not about it showing it "doesn't work," its speaking to its waning effects. 

NYT has them at 62% fully vaccinated. I'm seeing different numbers all over the place. I would spend some more time really digging into it, but you know what. I just don't give a fuck and I have nothing to prove to you.

Nothing anyone says or does will convince you of anything, so I'm going to spend my time doing something much more productive. Like nothing at all.

Have fun being willfully ignorant and selfish.

coronavirus-vaccinations-tracker-promo-1
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

More than 3.56 billion people worldwide have received a Covid-19 vaccine, equal to about 46.4 percent of the world population.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

While we're digging up old posts from this thread:

It was either in this thread or the stock one I mentioned at the time it was about to be massive buying opportunity and the market would come back; I hope people here got in; it was one of those life changing financial times like 2008. 

4 hours ago, Commodore D said:

Just curious of you all, if you have to get six month or yearly boosters to stay classified as "vaccinated" would you? (Fauci on the number of boosters... unknown 7:00)

Even beyond that, would you have if you didn't get the shot at the time of little information. Been reading back through, you all were definitely thinking (celebrating) no mask, removed restrictions, no catching, no passing, etc...

• I eat even though after I've eaten the calories are slowly burned and I need more food later
  • I breathe even though I will need another breathe in 3 seconds
  • I take flu shots because the flu mutates and I want to protect people around me
  • I will take COVID booster shots because if my immunity wanes, I will want to still be protected

Like, do you own a home? If you replace your shingles once, are you going to refuse to replace them again in 15-20 years? Nothing lasts forever, and you need to do constant upkeep on yourself as well.

Pretty sure they were only that high because at the time they were counting it as percentage of eligible persons. Once the vaccine became widely available, the real percentage dropped down into the 50s and then into the low 60s, today.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

• I eat even though after I've eaten the calories are slowly burned and I need more food later
  • I breathe even though I will need another breathe in 3 seconds
  • I take flu shots because the flu mutates and I want to protect people around me
  • I will take COVID booster shots because if my immunity wanes, I will want to still be protected

Like, do you own a home? If you replace your shingles once, are you going to refuse to replace them again in 15-20 years? Nothing lasts forever, and you need to do constant upkeep on yourself as well.

I don't know a better way to say it, and I don't mean to be curse, but that's a garbage analogy and comparison. You would "scold" me for doing the same. 

Yes, multiple (gutted and rebuilt a lot myself). Lets use your analogy though; if a sales man offered you a new roofing system, with no long term testing, and it did not improve (or at best marginally improved) the protection of your house more than your current roofing system, would you get it? Even worse, what if they told you you'd have to get an unknown amount of periodic updates to maintain the protection, would you get it?

18 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Pretty sure they were only that high because at the time they were counting it as percentage of eligible persons. Once the vaccine became widely available, the real percentage dropped down into the 50s and then into the low 60s, today.

Ort went off the deep in with feels (selfish people, villainous people using real data that doesn't jive with his / her / person's narrative); didn't consider the math behind what is classified as have taken the shot vs haven't taken it. Israel's number is so fluid as people with the shot fall of the books. My point which still stands is you can't compare the two countries, all Israel data can be used for now is to speak to long term efficacy, and boosters. 

Well look at the shot like a car seatbelt. You wear one in the car to help you survive a severe car crash/accident, but doesn’t guarantee you will survive it either. It’s a protective measure that will overall keep you protected as safe as possible from a fatal accident. So far the studies have shown that it does a damn good job of protecting you from harm and so do the vaccines.

7 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Ort went off the deep in with feels (selfish people, villainous people using real data that doesn't jive with his / her / person's narrative); didn't consider the math behind what is classified as have taken the shot vs haven't taken it. Israel's number is so fluid as people with the shot fall of the books. My point which still stands is you can't compare the two countries, all Israel data can be used for now is to speak to long term efficacy, and boosters. 

It doesn't matter how much information or proof or numbers people show you, or people like you. You've ignored it all up to now, so what hope do we have?

You are selfish. You are ignorant. I think people with attitudes like your are assholes and I hate them. Every time I see the death toll tick up, or have to make more sacrifices in my life to try and be a good citizen with the best interests of my fellow man in mind, I think of selfish fools like you and I get angry.

So yeah, how's that for a feel.

Why do you continue to post in this thread? Are you really that desperate for attention?

48 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

I don't know a better way to say it, and I don't mean to be curse, but that's a garbage analogy and comparison. You would "scold" me for doing the same. 

Yes, multiple (gutted and rebuilt a lot myself). Lets use your analogy though; if a sales man offered you a new roofing system, with no long term testing, and it did not improve (or at best marginally improved) the protection of your house more than your current roofing system, would you get it? Even worse, what if they told you you'd have to get an unknown amount of periodic updates to maintain the protection, would you get it?

1) Most shots need boosters

2) Because its a pandemic the booster schedule is more aggressive than for a typical virus

3) We don't know the future scheduling of the shots. There are some shots were you only need a single booster.

42 minutes ago, ort said:

It doesn't matter how much information or proof or numbers people show you, or people like you. You've ignored it all up to now, so what hope do we have?

You are selfish. You are ignorant. I think people with attitudes like your are assholes and I hate them. Every time I see the death toll tick up, or have to make more sacrifices in my life to try and be a good citizen with the best interests of my fellow man in mind, I think of selfish fools like you and I get angry.

So yeah, how's that for a feel.

Why do you continue to post in this thread? Are you really that desperate for attention?

Man, I would not like to live a life where I hate people; too much energy required for that emotion. 

Also you are stating it like I don't make sacrifices everyday for the good of my fellow man.

Just having conversation. Isn't that why you post?

40 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Well look at the shot like a car seatbelt. You wear one in the car to help you survive a severe car crash/accident, but doesn’t guarantee you will survive it either. It’s a protective measure that will overall keep you protected as safe as possible from a fatal accident. So far the studies have shown that it does a damn good job of protecting you from harm and so do the vaccines.

A seat belt exponentially increases your chance of survival in a car accident, not marginally.

9 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

1) Most shots need boosters

2) Because its a pandemic the booster schedule is more aggressive than for a typical virus

3) We don't know the future scheduling of the shots. There are some shots were you only need a single booster.

Agreed on all that; I'd just like to know the scheduling before committing to having to be scheduled. Should be simple to understand. 

That's a garbage analogy because you do have to replace your roof and do maintenance. Also...what is your actual complaint about having to periodically do things to improve your health? Is it the time hassle of having to spend another 20-30 minutes every year to get a booster? Is it the good-is-the-enemy-of-perfect idea, that if something only works 90% and not 100%, it's not worth doing? What is your actual argument against needing boosters, if they continue to keep you immune from severe disease, as well as from spreading, catching, etc?

11 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Agreed on all that; I'd just like to know the scheduling before committing to having to be scheduled. Should be simple to understand. 

Everything about this is new. How is that hard to understand?

What we do know is even without a booster you are much better protected. As it is now a booster is more about preventing breakthrough cases. You are still protected from hospitalization and death without it. 

13 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

There is no commitment to getting boosters by getting the prime dosage.

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

Everything about this is new. How is that hard to understand?

What we do know is even without a booster you are much better protected. As it is now a booster is more about preventing breakthrough cases. You are still protected from hospitalization and death without it. 

Exactly. It seems that the booster really just does a few things:

• Keeps all protection up for those with weaker immune systems (elderly, immunocompromised, etc)
  • Keeps protection up against any cases for anyone else (even without, your protection against severe cases seems to remain strong if you are not in the weaker group)

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's a garbage analogy because you do have to replace your roof and do maintenance. Also...what is your actual complaint about having to periodically do things to improve your health? Is it the time hassle of having to spend another 20-30 minutes every year to get a booster? Is it the good-is-the-enemy-of-perfect idea, that if something only works 90% and not 100%, it's not worth doing? What is your actual argument against needing boosters, if they continue to keep you immune from severe disease, as well as from spreading, catching, etc?

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There is no commitment to getting boosters by getting the prime dosage.

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Exactly. It seems that the booster really just does a few things:

• Keeps all protection up for those with weaker immune systems (elderly, immunocompromised, etc)
  • Keeps protection up against any cases for anyone else (even without, your protection against severe cases seems to remain strong if you are not in the weaker group)

Boosters (and scheduled medication) are outside my current lifestyle need; not interested in doing so if not personally (as the numbers state) needed. 

You say there is no commitment, but there is evidence that might not be the case to keep "vaccinated" status. It pretty much once you go to the well, you'll continue to have to do so (was in the Moderna S1, its being vetted). 

You all must have missed, I've recently tested positive for the antibodies after a three day (one bad day) bout with Covid. I can roll with that for a while.