~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Just promise not to use up hospital resources if you do catch COVID. Right now, hospitals across the world are struggling to meet to demand and refusing patients because they're filled with unvaccinated patients.

Filled with unvaccinated patients with comorbids. We should tell those people to stay out first, as they have the major issue. 

36 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

The math doesn't make sense for me (age, lack of comorbids, life style) to get it. 

Shot, no shot; based on all the scientific data provided my designation doesn't change. Add in that it doesn't keep me from catching or passing it, and the unknowing booster cycle (I've never had a flu shot), there is little to no benefit of me taking it.

Lastly, I've had Covid at least once (a month ago), and maybe twice (Oct 2019 coming back from Japan). Took me out for about three days the most recent time, even had to take some pain medication (generic Tylenol) for the first time since 2008 (half a vicadon, broken wrist). I can deal with that. 

The vaccines absolutely do decrease the chance of catching Covid, which decreases the chance of you being a vector of transmission.

This is less of an issue since you have had a prior infection, but you can be 100% certain you did not have it in October 2019 :p 

Unless you have a legit health reason not to, I’d go get the J&J and not have to deal with the potential consequences of not being vaccinated, like employer mandates.

2 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Maybe you were for not shutting down the country and letting it all play out; I'd have to look back, or you can state your previous position. 

I'm fairly certain I was in favor of strict military enforcement of the lockdowns, including summary executions of those who violated it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Filled with unvaccinated patients with comorbids. We should tell those people to stay out first, as they have the major issue. 

No, also filled with perfectly healthy people with no prior comorbidities because everyone is healthy until they aren't.

Also, what does it matter if you aren't at risk? Just don't use up hospital resources. Honestly, no unvaccinated people should be getting intubated at this point. If they get to that point, just send them home. Cancer patients and other people that aren't in control of their health should be the priority here.

Just now, sblfilms said:

The vaccines absolutely do decrease the chance of catching Covid, which decreases the chance of you being a vector of transmission.

This is less of an issue since you have had a prior infection, but you can be 100% certain you did not have it in October 2019 :p 

Unless you have a legit health reason not to, I’d go get the J&J and not have to deal with the potential consequences of not being vaccinated, like employer mandates.

J&J was my initially plan, was on schedule to get it, then it was taken off the market. That was what really changed my mind to no, not at all.

No interest in the Moderna or Pfizer after reading the SI Moderna provided the government in November 2019. 

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've already been accused by my former roommate of being willing to accept the "negative" effects of vaccine mandates on people as "collateral damage".

My response was, "I was part of the United States military and I work with the United States military.  Trust me, I'm all about 'collateral damage' when it comes to attaining my objective or for what I perceive as the 'greater good' ".

If someone questions how potentially enhancing their immunity to a transmissible disease -- even if only marginally -- and at absolutely negligible risk to themselves would benefit society as a whole, then I see no profit in the attempt to convince them otherwise.

I've largely given up arguing with anti-vaxers.  Their arguments are normally at best semi-coherent and are always in bad faith.

Put in vaccine passports, or employer-required vaccination.  Once people have a personal motivation to get vaccinated (i.e. the loss of income, the loss of the ability to go to restaurants/movies/stadiums, go to school, etc.) they mostly do.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've largely given up arguing with anti-vaxers.  Their arguments are normally at best semi-coherent and are always in bad faith.

Put in vaccine passports, or employer-required vaccination.  Once people have a personal motivation to get vaccinated (i.e. the loss of income, the loss of the ability to go to restaurants/movies/stadiums, go to school, etc.) they mostly do.

Yep, I don’t wish ill on these people at all, but I’m also way over trying to convincing them.

6 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

J&J was my initially plan, was on schedule to get it, then it was taken off the market. That was what really changed my mind to no, not at all.

No interest in the Moderna or Pfizer after reading the SI Moderna provided the government in November 2019. 

The J&J vaccine was never taken off the market. Even during the “pause”, you could still get it, and the only reason for the pause was to give guidance to doctors and hospitals on how to treat patients who had received it if they had certain symptoms.

What particular issue do you have with what Moderna submitted?

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

First, I'm not an anti-vaxxer; I, like my kids have all the well tested normal vaccines out there; heck I have some for yellow fever and other regional outliers.

May you please provide a coherent argument for getting the shot? I haven't heard one in a long time as the narratives (can't catch, can't pass) have fallen apart.

I'm in the airport at least 6 times a month, and you know what you hear all over the speakers, "if you have flu like symptoms, go home, quarantine, most recover on their own," that's really the only true statement that is out there; non political, no virtue signaling, just factual. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

The J&J vaccine was never taken off the market. Even during the “pause”, you could still get it, and the only reason for the pause was to give guidance to doctors and hospitals on how to treat patients who had received it if they had certain symptoms.

What particular issue do you have with what Moderna submitted?

Got it, seemed to go away in my area, I was unscheduled.

The control charts in the presentation speak to a lack of consistency in the process. Their concern about how to get it tested on a large scale. Past results from other companies that work on similar technology. Their concern about FDA approval. Its a few hundred pages, but a great read. 

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Fortunately we live in a world where little of that can't be worked around (for some). 

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

Add in that it doesn't keep me from catching or passing it, and the unknowing booster cycle (I've never had a flu shot), there is little to no benefit of me taking it.

This of course is completely incorrect. The evidence is overwhelming that it does massively reduce the changes of you catching it, and also reduces the chances of you passing it to others (as fully vaccinated people are less contagious).

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

This of course is completely incorrect. The evidence is overwhelming that it does massively reduce the changes of you catching it, and also reduces the chances of you passing it to others (as fully vaccinated people are less contagious).

I was gonna say this and add reduces risk of new variants but decided not to communicate with an irresponsible clown travelling the world

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Funny how you speak in an absolute, then your supporting evidence lacks the absolution. My statement is correct based on your own statement. Even Fauci has stated such.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Imagine being ok with risking your own life against a deadly virus instead of getting vaccinated with a safe, effective, and free vaccine. Mind bogglingly stupid.

Also clearly not giving a shit about the danger you present to everyone around you.

@Commissar SFLUFAN I say we institute a vaccine passport for D1P and ban anyone who doesn't provide proof.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Imagine being ok with risking your own life against a deadly virus instead of getting vaccinated with a safe, effective, and free vaccine. Mind bogglingly stupid.

You are ignoring that by the numbers I'm in the same boat in either case; why take something that by the numbers isn't needed? It would be stupid to do something that doesn't need to be done. 

I also find it funny how gun ho you all are about the shot, as when it was being talked about being ready by the end of 2020, you all talked about how not enough time was taken and how the President is lying about its potential effectiveness. 

I also find it funny how gun ho you all are about the shot, as when it was being talked about being ready by the end of 2020, you all talked about how not enough time was taken and how the President is lying about its potential effectiveness. 

I don't think many here doubted the vaccine programs (except the way it was handled politically).

Also, you clearly don't care about others if you are unwilling to be vaccinated, despite the proven effectiveness at reducing transmission to others (on top of reducing the chances you get it, which further reduces the chance of transmission to others). I get it, you're selfish.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also clearly not giving a shit about the danger you present to everyone around you.

@Commissar SFLUFAN I say we institute a vaccine passport for D1P and ban anyone who doesn't provide proof.

I'm only a danger to you if your shot doesn't work; which then means everyone is a danger to you as they can still pass it along.

Really, I'm less likely to be a to danger to you  as I know when I'm ill; so its less likely that you'd come in contact with me. 

22 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Got it, seemed to go away in my area, I was unscheduled.

The control charts in the presentation speak to a lack of consistency in the process. Their concern about how to get it tested on a large scale. Past results from other companies that work on similar technology. Their concern about FDA approval. Its a few hundred pages, but a great read. 

Why do those things concern you? And why would you be more concerned about something marginally related to the Covid vaccine they developed over all they have published about the actual vaccine in question?

If you believe the material they submitted in 2019, one would assume you would believe the materials they have submitted in 2020 and 2021.

You are ignoring that by the numbers I'm in the same boat in either case; why take something that by the numbers isn't needed? It would be stupid to do something that doesn't need to be done. 

Trump was openly trying to rush a vaccine to be approved before the election before stage 3 results were released.

A vaccine is needed, even if you were previously infected (confirmed through a pcr test or a rapid test?) 

And per CDC:

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 because:

Research has not yet shown how long you are protected from getting COVID-19 again after you recover from COVID-19.

Vaccination helps protect you even if you’ve already had COVID-19.

Evidence is emerging that people get better protection by being fully vaccinated compared with having had COVID-19. One study showed that unvaccinated people who already had COVID-19 are more than 2 times as likely than fully vaccinated people to get COVID-19 again.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Why do those things concern you? And why would you be more concerned about something marginally related to the Covid vaccine they developed over all they have published about the actual vaccine in question?

If you believe the material they submitted in 2019, one would assume you would believe the materials they have submitted in 2020 and 2021.

I'm wired that way, a lot of that type of information is use to make decisions (professionally, personally). Yes, I feel the same about the material they have presented in 2020 and 2021 and that's where I get the it doesn't really make a difference personally; its based on their or the rest of the scientific communities data. If they shot drastically changed things for me, I would take it; you all seem to think I'm against it, I'm not, just for me at this time. 

I'm only a danger to you if your shot doesn't work; which then means everyone is a danger to you as they can still pass it along.

Really, I'm less likely to be a to danger to you  as I know when I'm ill; so its less likely that you'd come in contact with me. 

Two things:

1. Vaccines are an aid to your immune system, it does not guarantee you won’t be infected or be symptomatic. That says nothing of whether it works or not. We don’t have any vaccines that prevent all infections, yet you gladly gave your children them.

2. The main reason the delta variant is spreading so fast (largely amongst the unvaccinated :p) is because the average infected person is contagious for 48 hours prior to the on set of symptoms. You knowing when your ill doesn’t do much for the people you spent the prior two days with.

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Trump was openly trying to rush a vaccine to be approved before the election before stage 3 results were released.

A vaccine is needed, even if you were previously infected (confirmed through a pcr test or a rapid test?) 

And per CDC:

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 because:

Research has not yet shown how long you are protected from getting COVID-19 again after you recover from COVID-19.

Vaccination helps protect you even if you’ve already had COVID-19.

Evidence is emerging that people get better protection by being fully vaccinated compared with having had COVID-19. One study showed that unvaccinated people who already had COVID-19 are more than 2 times as likely than fully vaccinated people to get COVID-19 again.

I'm with you on all of that; except the term fully vaccinated; as that status changes (research has shown), just as it does for a person with natural immunity. That brings me to the issue of continued boosters; I have no interest in that, I'd rather take my chances. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Two things:

1. Vaccines are an aid to your immune system, it does not guarantee you won’t be infected or be symptomatic. That says nothing of whether it works or not. We don’t have any vaccines that prevent all infections, yet you gladly gave your children them.

2. The main reason the delta variant is spreading so fast (largely amongst the unvaccinated :p) is because the average infected person is contagious for 48 hours prior to the on set of symptoms. You knowing when your ill doesn’t do much for the people you spent the prior two days with.

I can’t believe someone had to write this

44 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

First, I'm not an anti-vaxxer; I, like my kids have all the well tested normal vaccines out there; heck I have some for yellow fever and other regional outliers.

May you please provide a coherent argument for getting the shot? I haven't heard one in a long time as the narratives (can't catch, can't pass) have fallen apart.

I'm in the airport at least 6 times a month, and you know what you hear all over the speakers, "if you have flu like symptoms, go home, quarantine, most recover on their own," that's really the only true statement that is out there; non political, no virtue signaling, just factual. 

I don't have the slightest inclination of having a discussion with you about your bad faith arguments.

1 minute ago, Commodore D said:

I'm wired that way, a lot of that type of information is use to make decisions (professionally, personally). Yes, I feel the same about the material they have presented in 2020 and 2021 and that's where I get the it doesn't really make a difference personally; its based on their or the rest of the scientific communities data. If they shot drastically changed things for me, I would take it; you all seem to think I'm against it, I'm not, just for me at this time. 

I don’t think you are against it, I think you fundamentally misunderstand why we do mass vaccination of communicable disease. Certainly there can be personal benefits, like not being sick enough you needed to take pin meds for the first time in over a decade, but the societal benefits of vaccination should be now abundantly clear to somebody using logic and reason.

Even the hospitals that have capacity for more patients are struggling with staffing due to burnout amongst their employees. Many places have been back to putting off non-emergency surgeries (which include things like cancer surgeries!) because they simply don’t have the staffing to do so.

And who is putting these hospitals under prolonged stress? Right now, it is the unvaccinated. And it’s honestly a bit silly to say “only those with co-morbidities” when you live in a country in which something like 80% of the adult population has one or more of them. And these aren’t conditions that are solvable in any short order. 

9 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

I'm with you on all of that; except the term fully vaccinated; as that status changes (research has shown), just as it does for a person with natural immunity. That brings me to the issue of continued boosters; I have no interest in that, I'd rather take my chances. 

"That status changes (research has shown)" what the fuck are you talking about?? What research? That we might need annual boosters or something like that? Right now fully vaccinated means two weeks after two shots of mRNA or one of J&J, boosters for olds and immunocompromised.

Why take chances? There's a whole lot of negatives and no upside to remaining unvaccinated. Why do you have no interest in being vaccinated?