~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

My mom finally got the vaccine after refusing to for months because her work required it. She's a nurse. Dad is, too, but he's been vaccinated since  the beginning, couldn't wait to get it.

When it comes down to it, most people will just suck it up and get the damn shot because they're not willing to give up their livelihoods.

31 minutes ago, Jason said:
2300.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Facing a Justice Department lawsuit over Alabama's notoriously violent prisons , state lawmakers on Monday began a special session on a $1.3 billion...

To be fair, Alabama desperately needs new prisons, and they aren't getting funded any other way, so...

I was on a commercial shoot yesterday and we all got a nurse to give us a rapid test. Those really make your nose itchy!

One guy tested positive though, so they sent him away to go get a full PCR test. Good thing that was within the first 15 minutes and we weren't around him all day. I'm sure if the results from his PCR test come back positive as well (since the rapid ones apparently do give a lot of false positives) they'll have to notify us all, and I'll have to go get a full test as well.

Canada's Texas/Florida strikes again. In my province of Saskatchewan (Canada's Alabama), the government is now disallowing asymptomatic people from receiving tests as the system is overloaded. Positivity is over 10% for a few weeks now, and wait times for test results is approaching 7 days. Only option now for asymptomatic people are private tests which run $100-$200.

EDIT - Oh, my premier also rejected federal offers of additional hospital staff and equipment, asking instead for increased shipments of monoclonal antibodies. Surprised he didn't asked for Ivermectin. 

4922.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The company said it would start the process of firing 593 employees who decided not to get vaccinated

United Airlines has said nearly 600 US-based employees are facing termination after failing to comply with the carrier’s vaccination policy.

In early August, the company became the first US airline to require Covid-19 vaccinations for all domestic employees, requiring proof of vaccination by Monday.

The carrier said that on Tuesday, it would start the process of firing 593 employees who decided not to get vaccinated.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The company said it would start the process of firing 593 employees who decided not to get vaccinated

The proper framing on this is 99% of United's workforce is vaccinated. Focusing on "the nearly 600" is some Trump voters in diners nonsense.

• True 4

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

They found 37% of patients had at least one long Covid symptom diagnosed three to six months after infection. The most common symptoms were breathing problems, abdominal symptoms, fatigue, pain and anxiety or depression

Personally, I'm not in favor of including these among the physical maladies of long COVID.

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Personally, I'm not in favor of including these among the physical maladies of long COVID.

I have plenty of both of those things and I've never had covid, as far as I'm aware.

Or MAYBE my anxiety and depression is a result of covid that I never knew I had?

..... nope, pretty sure that was already there.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I have plenty of both of those things and I've never had covid, as far as I'm aware.

Or MAYBE my anxiety and depression is a result of covid that I never knew I had?

..... nope, pretty sure that was already there.

That's the rub - how can those symptoms be differentiated as being directly linked to COVID infection rather than some other cause such as the very existence of the pandemic itself?

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, I assume it's kind of like trials for medicine. One of the people on your trial died of a heart attack? You kind of have to say "medicine could cause heart failure" even if the medicine had nothing to do with it.

Perhaps, but at least with the medical trials, you can be reasonably certain of the potential proximate cause.  In this instance, the connections really do appear to me to be far more tenuous.

logog.png?t=9
TUNEIN.COM

Scientists don’t understand why so many people suffer from Covid-19 symptoms for months, well after they stop testing positive. But that’s just the start of the mystery. There are other diseases that...

Long <insert viral infection> is common, we just didn’t think about it much prior to Covid. Some interesting ideas about why people suffer long after they are no longer testing positive.

Short version: you don’t want to catch any viruses because you could be the unlucky person who gets wrecked for months or years 😬

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

logog.png?t=9
TUNEIN.COM

Scientists don’t understand why so many people suffer from Covid-19 symptoms for months, well after they stop testing positive. But that’s just the start of the mystery. There are other diseases that...

Long <insert viral infection> is common, we just didn’t think about it much prior to Covid. Some interesting ideas about why people suffer long after they are no longer testing positive.

Short version: you don’t want to catch any viruses because you could be the unlucky person who gets wrecked for months or years 😬

When I got swine flu, everything tasted metallic for months. Sometimes I wonder if that actually never went away and I just got used to it.

And now that I think about it, I boarded a train knowing I was sick and didn't wear a mask. My current self would flick my past self in the balls for that. The times have changed. For some of us, anyway.

This is another "Long COVID" study that is reportedly far more methodologically rigorous than the one referred to in the Guardian article and its findings indicated a significantly smaller number for those suffering from the effects of Long COVID:

WWW.ONS.GOV.UK

Experimental estimates from three approaches to estimating the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) and who experience symptoms four or more weeks after infection, broken down by demographic and viral characteristics, using UK Coronavirus Infection Survey data.

Among study participants with COVID-19, 9.4% reported any of 12 symptoms four to eight weeks after infection (based on responses from 15,061 participants), while 5.0% reported symptoms at 12 to 16 weeks (out of 12,611 participants) (Figure 1). These percentages were statistically significantly higher than in the control group, suggesting that the prevalence of symptoms following COVID-19 infection is greater than the background prevalence of these symptoms in the population at any given time. The difference in prevalence remained statistically significant at 20 to 24 weeks.

7j2OoLV.png

This study also excludes "anxiety and depression" from among the symptoms:

The 12 symptoms comprise: fever, headache, muscle ache, weakness/tiredness, nausea/vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, loss of taste, and loss of smell.

• Like 2

My entire family and my 2 cousins still suffer from the long Covid and that goes back to April 2020 when we all got it. Still surprised at how bad mine is because it was worse then my actual bought with the disease. I still get the fever, terrible nausea, lost of appetite, tired, diarrhea and tightness/pain in the middle of the chest/stomach area. I’m sort of in one of those weeks right now, and my mom has it real bad. My mom is part of a study that is happening at our Ontario London University via online surveys she enrolled in. Don’t know if they have released any findings yet. 

so thanks everyone for posting this for me and anyone else who has long Covid here 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I don't know about you libs, but I definitely feel owned by this guy taping his mangy sock to his mouth.

I was curious about these two and a quick social media search shows they live in Moscow, Idaho and are connected to Douglas Wilson who is big in a particular niche of super conservative Christianity. He co-wrote a book that argued more or less that the north was worse despite the south upholding slavery.

Not shocking at all.

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Just give them one of these on their way out, from my flight Sunday night.

spacer.png