Sign in to follow this  
GeneticBlueprint

Television Ned Stark to play Boromir's great (x100) grandpa in Amazon's Tolkien's LOTR-themed extravaganza

https://www.tor.com/2020/01/14/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-middle-earth-cast-robert-aramayo-morfydd-clark-jrr-tolkien/

Production to begin next month. Also other cast announcements.

The cast of the series includes Robert Aramayo (Game of Thrones) — reportedly playing the show’s lead character, Owain Arthur (Higher Ground), Nazanin Boniadi (Passengers), Tom Budge (The Pacific), Morfydd Clark (His Dark Materials) — reportedly playing a young Galadriel, Ismael Cruz Córdova (The Undoing), Ema Horvath (Viscous), Markella Kavenagh (The Cry), Joseph Mawle (Game of Thrones) — reportedly the show’s main antagonist, Tyroe Muhafidin (Caravan), Sophia Nomvete (Vice Versa), Megan Richards (Doctors), Dylan Smith (I Am The Night), Charlie Vickers (Medici: Masters of Florence), and Daniel Weyman (Dunkirk).

In its press release, Amazon noted that the series will be set in Middle-earth, and that it “will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring,” believed to take place during the world’s “Second Age.”

The Hobbit movies obliterated any hype I have about this franchise, I will not care until it’s released and confirmed good. 

On 1/17/2020 at 11:05 AM, mrbiggsly said:

I was hoping Sean Bean was playing his own grandpa

That's what I thought as well!

Well, that’s one guaranteed character death. 

I’m also rewatching the Hobbit movies... the extended versions... and loving every minute. 

5 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Well, that’s one guaranteed character death. 

I’m also rewatching the Hobbit movies... the extended versions... and loving every minute. 

I think the extended editions are better and are fun as well. Not LOTR, of course, but there's a lot of fun and good in there. 

I think the Hobbit movies are shat upon too much. They're not nearly as bad as all the YouTube commentators make them out to be.

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think the Hobbit movies are shat upon too much. They're not nearly as bad as all the YouTube commentators make them out to be.

Same. People treat them like they're as bad as the Star Wars prequels, and that's simply not true. They're too technically well made (if nothing else) for that to be the case compared to the Star Wars prequels. And the acting is actually good for the most part. 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

What if we made a lazy river and used lava instead?

No, they are trash. I will never forgive Peter Jackson for making me watch that horrific scene. 

Though I will say Greatone is right (and sexy), the acting is quite fantastic and deserves applause. 

Put me in the camp that thinks the Hobbit movies really are that bad.

49 minutes ago, ort said:

Put me in the camp that thinks the Hobbit movies really are that bad.

I haven't rewatched them since seeing them in theater, but I remember disliking them. A lot.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

Though I will say Greatone is right (and sexy), the acting is quite fantastic and deserves applause. 

Come here bru. :mhug:

30 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I haven't rewatched them since seeing them in theater, but I remember disliking them. A lot.

That's the thing - most people who say they don't like them only saw them once. That's fair - but as a fan of Middle-Earth who just likes to luxuriate in that world with the tone and atmosphere that brings, for me the extended editions of The Hobbit felt like living there and it was a lot of fun. Some isolated scenes are very well done too, like Riddles in the Dark or Bilbo vs. Smaug or Smaug's awakening, etc. 

My problem with the Hobbit films remains that Jackson tried too hard to keep the feeling of LOTR for a story that doesn’t feel like LOTR at all. There is a huge disconnect there that creates a lot of discomfort for me when watching.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

My problem with the Hobbit films remains that Jackson tried too hard to keep the feeling of LOTR for a story that doesn’t feel like LOTR at all. There is a huge disconnect there that creates a lot of discomfort for me when watching.

As someone who just wanted more LotR, I’m ok with that. I simply enjoy living in that world. 

Peter Jackson stopped being good after The Frighteners. LOTR movies were just a huge bore, The Lovely Bones was one of the worst movies ever made and I didn't even bother with The Hobbit movies because it was just more LOTR.

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

As someone who just wanted more LotR, I’m ok with that. I simply enjoy living in that world. 

Same, and it's not that LOTR to me though it does from time to time certainly. 

I haven’t watched TLOTR movies in years. I’ve got the EEs on Blu-ray, need to sit down and watch them sometime. 

Haven’t seen the Hobbit movies. 

Shockingly never read any of the books, either. 

42 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I haven’t watched TLOTR movies in years. I’ve got the EEs on Blu-ray, need to sit down and watch them sometime. 

Haven’t seen the Hobbit movies. 

Shockingly never read any of the books, either. 

The books are an absolute chore. Makes GoT look like a quick read. 

Just now, Emblazon said:

The books are an absolute chore. Makes GoT look like a quick read. 

I know. I tried it back in high school and I struggled. One of the few examples where I couldn’t get through the book but enjoyed the movie. 

I’ve heard The Hobbit is an easier read, so I might try that sometime.