The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Latest: Season 2 commences filming. Set catches fire.

TwinIon

As a refresher, Amazon spent $250M for just the rights to make a new Lord of the Rings television series, with a potential investment of $1B seeming possible.

In more recent news, Amazon has been extremely secretive about the project so far, with reports that the writers are being sequestered behind some hardcore security.

Still, they've also released their first teases of the project by revealing a map to explore.

Yup, that's Middle Earth.

Apparently the labels on the map and the text that Amazon's been releasing in their tweets could indicate that the show takes place during the second age, but I'm no Tolkien expert, so don't take my word for it. If that is true, it would mean that it's not a "Young Aragorn" show like some were speculating. 

The Hobbit movies were so uninspired that I’m not interested in any LotR media at all other than the books, which is pretty surprising given how much I loved the LotR movies. The Hobbit has even soured me on those a bit, which is something that rarely happens with me.

I hope this good.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If it wasn’t for the free shipping, I would drop Prime.  Their content is subpar. 

Yup. The TV stuff is a bonus. I mean at this point I only really watch The Grand Tour of their originals. I've seen other things but don't eagerly await the next watered down Tom Clancy thing or the next Le Carre adaption even though I enjoyed The Night Manager to some extent. I wouldn't pay for it otherwise.

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yup. The TV stuff is a bonus. I mean at this point I only really watch The Grand Tour of their originals. I've seen other things but don't eagerly await the next watered down Tom Clancy thing or the next Le Carre adaption even though I enjoyed The Night Manager to some extent. I wouldn't pay for it otherwise.

Their series tend to be meh, but they shine with their Amazon produced movies and documentaries.

10 minutes ago, Chris- said:

It also doesn't help that the Prime Video UI is garbage on basically every platform. Having series broken down by season is obnoxious.

While not great they have improved it. For instance the by season thing is sort of better now because you can choose what season you want from the show page. Usually if you're watching the show with multiple seasons it will jump to the next season after your finished the previous one.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:41 PM, Chris- said:

It also doesn't help that the Prime Video UI is garbage on basically every platform. Having series broken down by season is obnoxious.

I agree that it's overall a huge mess, but it's greatest sin is that the UHD version of TV series are listed separately from the regular one. It's an actively hostile act.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

While not great they have improved it. For instance the by season thing is sort of better now because you can choose what season you want from the show page. Usually if you're watching the show with multiple seasons it will jump to the next season after your finished the previous one.

The bigger issue is that if you bookmark a series, it doesn't actually bookmark your place in the series. It bookmarks the season you bookmarked. That means you either did through seasons or you pick it out from the recent list... Hoping that nobody else watched a bunch of stuff since the last time you watched an episode.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The bigger issue is that if you bookmark a series, it doesn't actually bookmark your place in the series. It bookmarks the season you bookmarked. That means you either did through seasons or you pick it out from the recent list... Hoping that nobody else watched a bunch of stuff since the last time you watched an episode.

Well wouldn't that be an issue with any platform? If someone else watches a show on netflix it's going to show the most recent watched.

In any case, this is much improved:

41H1RKp.jpg

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well wouldn't that be an issue with any platform? If someone else watches a show on netflix it's going to show the most recent watched.

In any case, this is much improved:

41H1RKp.jpg

No, because Netflix fixed that in two different ways. First, you can simply have different profiles that area as easy as a button press. Setting up different profiles on Amazon Prime is a pain in the ass. Also, Netflix keeps track of where you were on a per series basis. So even if I didn't have different profiles, I'd know where exactly I left off on a series as long as someone else doesn't go in and watch it.

Amazon has gotten better on mobile, but their app on smart devices is still awful.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

No, because Netflix fixed that in two different ways. First, you can simply have different profiles that area as easy as a button press. Setting up different profiles on Amazon Prime is a pain in the ass. Also, Netflix keeps track of where you were on a per series basis. So even if I didn't have different profiles, I'd know where exactly I left off on a series as long as someone else doesn't go in and watch it.

Amazon has gotten better on mobile, but their app on smart devices is still awful.

I believe you can add family to your Amazon "home" and they'll share your prime benefits but not your account. So video shouldn't be an issue in that regard.

• 10 months later...

https://www.tor.com/2020/01/14/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-middle-earth-cast-robert-aramayo-morfydd-clark-jrr-tolkien/

Production to begin next month. Also other cast announcements.

The cast of the series includes Robert Aramayo (Game of Thrones) — reportedly playing the show’s lead character, Owain Arthur (Higher Ground), Nazanin Boniadi (Passengers), Tom Budge (The Pacific), Morfydd Clark (His Dark Materials) — reportedly playing a young Galadriel, Ismael Cruz Córdova (The Undoing), Ema Horvath (Viscous), Markella Kavenagh (The Cry), Joseph Mawle (Game of Thrones) — reportedly the show’s main antagonist, Tyroe Muhafidin (Caravan), Sophia Nomvete (Vice Versa), Megan Richards (Doctors), Dylan Smith (I Am The Night), Charlie Vickers (Medici: Masters of Florence), and Daniel Weyman (Dunkirk).

In its press release, Amazon noted that the series will be set in Middle-earth, and that it “will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring,” believed to take place during the world’s “Second Age.”

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think the Hobbit movies are shat upon too much. They're not nearly as bad as all the YouTube commentators make them out to be.

Same. People treat them like they're as bad as the Star Wars prequels, and that's simply not true. They're too technically well made (if nothing else) for that to be the case compared to the Star Wars prequels. And the acting is actually good for the most part. 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think the Hobbit movies are shat upon too much. They're not nearly as bad as all the YouTube commentators make them out to be.

What if we made a lazy river and used lava instead?

No, they are trash. I will never forgive Peter Jackson for making me watch that horrific scene. 

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

Though I will say Greatone is right (and sexy), the acting is quite fantastic and deserves applause. 

Come here bru. :mhug:

30 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I haven't rewatched them since seeing them in theater, but I remember disliking them. A lot.

That's the thing - most people who say they don't like them only saw them once. That's fair - but as a fan of Middle-Earth who just likes to luxuriate in that world with the tone and atmosphere that brings, for me the extended editions of The Hobbit felt like living there and it was a lot of fun. Some isolated scenes are very well done too, like Riddles in the Dark or Bilbo vs. Smaug or Smaug's awakening, etc. 

My problem with the Hobbit films remains that Jackson tried too hard to keep the feeling of LOTR for a story that doesn’t feel like LOTR at all. There is a huge disconnect there that creates a lot of discomfort for me when watching.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

My problem with the Hobbit films remains that Jackson tried too hard to keep the feeling of LOTR for a story that doesn’t feel like LOTR at all. There is a huge disconnect there that creates a lot of discomfort for me when watching.

As someone who just wanted more LotR, I’m ok with that. I simply enjoy living in that world.