Houston Astros' Jeff Luhnow, AJ Hinch suspended 1 year; Alex Cora (Red Sox) and Carlos Beltran (Mets) Out

AbsolutSurgen

1 hour ago, Jose said:

The Red Sox can't afford to keep one of the best players in baseball now? Pathetic.

Reportedly, he turned down 10/300 from Boston. He won’t sign a contract before free agency. I can’t imagine Red Sox get much for him since he is a 1 year rental. 

Baseball prospectus had a good article that gives what might be the best explanation of the affect of the Astros sign stealing. The tweets above capture the main idea pretty well. I’ve wondered about some of this for a while and it was neat to see some good data to back up my hunches.

Rob Arthur linked to this thread of analysis from the same data and came out to a similar conclusion. Sign stealing gives a slight bump to production when accurate but a hugely negative outcome when inaccurate, leaving the overall effect close to zero. This also makes sense of the Astros apparently abandoning their scheme mid season in 2018, as noted in the MLB report, it was eventually decided to be ineffective.

All that cheating for nothing :lol:

6 hours ago, Jose said:

The Red Sox can't afford to keep one of the best players in baseball now? Pathetic.

He's repeatedly made clear he's determined to enter free agency and get top dollar. With recent contracts, who knows what that'll be. He's already turned down $300 million from Boston. It's less about affording him and more about his prospects for staying with the team long term are slim. It sucks, but what else can they do?

We can agree to disagree. :shrug:

Very few teams can afford to pay him or any player $400 million +. Especially if Boston is trying to get below the tax threshold. As much as I hate to see him leave, trading him makes sense. I get guys wanting to go for top dollar, but I respect guys like Bogaerts who stay loyal to their team and take a "discount" to stay there.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

It's awesome! More money in the pockets of the players and less in the owners is great.

Exactly. I’m for whatever ends up with the billionaires pocketing less of the profit :p 

Especially when you see the way the owner’s manipulate stuff like service time rules to stop players from getting paid. See Kris Bryant getting boned on feee agency by intentionally being held out from call ups at the beginning of the season so he missed his service time number by two days! 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's hard for me to have sympathy for anyone making hundreds of millions of dollars in a few short years.

It’s not just the top guys who are affected though. In pro sports, salary caps (hard a and soft alike) depress the value of labor. The cap/tax busting contracts are what cause the caps/tax thresholds to go up, which moves the low end up as well.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Why is all this being discussed in the cheating thread, though, and not the general baseball thread?

I was about to ask the same thing :lol:

I had a choice between putting it in The Mariners or The Astros cheaters thread. Seemed like an easy decision. 

#FuckAstros

I like Mookie but 12/420 seems a bit much. As a Yankee fan, he doesn’t instill any fear when he is up to bat unlike other past Red Sox greats like Ortiz and Ramirez. 

Astros hired James Click as GM. The Rays have been one of the closest teams to the Luhnow led Astros in terms of player scouting and development, so a good fit. With Dusty Baker getting only a one year deal, I’m guessing Click is going to get to bring in the next long term manager sometime in the next year or two.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I had a choice between putting it in The Mariners or The Astros cheaters thread. Seemed like an easy decision. 

#FuckAstros

I like Mookie but 12/420 seems a bit much. As a Yankee fan, he doesn’t instill any fear when he is up to bat unlike other past Red Sox greats like Ortiz and Ramirez. 

12/420 really isn't that crazy given the value he brings to his team.

Also, this thread and the book I'm currently reading have painfully reminded me of the biggest failure to sign in recent Red Sox history: Jon Lester. I loved that guy and they lowballed him so badly before the 2014 season. Guy even indicated he wanted to stay in Boston and would take a discount to do so and they still insultingly undercut his value. At least he went to my NL team and helped them end a World Series drought, so that was a little silver lining. But still. I wanted that guy to retire in Boston. He should have.

an intern proposed the idea that was put in the place for 2017 and 2018. Where is that guy now?

The intern, who currently works as the Astros' senior manager of team operations, told investigators that he assumed Luhnow knew it would be used in live games.

What? The guy who possibly didn’t know about the program got suspended for a year but the person who devised the plan is now a senior manager with Astros and not punished. 

jennifer lawrence thumbs up GIF

One of the funny things in that article was about how people knew to include the info they needed Lunhow to see in the first page of an email because he was known not to read the whole thing. That seems to be a common practice of big time business executives.