Sony will announce today that they are skipping E3, possibly will announce its own event

SaysWho?

I mean its the year of the PS5. 

Last year they said they didn't have enough new stuff to show so they were skipping.

I've always enjoyed the hype around E3, but I never go, so whether they do their own conference on their own time, or actually got to E3, doesn't really matter much i guess.

• Like 1

Hopefully they'll step up and have a bigger presence at the smaller events. They had a pretty cool Days Gone booth at PAX South last year. Not that I really want PAX to turn into an E3, but it would be nice if Sony, MS, and Nintendo had a little bit bigger presence. I never get to go to E3 but PAX South is in my backyard.

I guess I missed the part where they were expected to return.

So the question becomes, where/when do they show off the PS5?

Gamescom is in August and TGS is in September. I think they'll want a PS5 presence at both, but they seem a bit late for a first reveal.

So they could either do their own event alongside E3, or their own event any other time. My guess would be they do their own thing sometime before E3. Get a news cycle to yourself, but don't do a full reveal. Keep the details dripping out throughout the year. Show off the box and give some more general specs, but don't give an exact date or price. A new trailer for launch games at every event this year, etc.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I mean its the year of the PS5. 

Last year they said they didn't have enough new stuff to show so they were skipping.

I've always enjoyed the hype around E3, but I never go, so whether they do their own conference on their own time, or actually got to E3, doesn't really matter much i guess.

Yeah, E3 has changed more to a fan event than just a trade show, which is cool. That also means stuff like PSX feels like a current E3 show, so as long as there's a show, I can shit my pants over reveals just as well as an E3 event. :p 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:08 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

The announcement event for the PS4 was in February as well.

And prior to that the NGP(Vita) was initially revealed in late January of the year it was eventually released. So the Februrary rumor fits a pattern for Sony.

Probably not details like price yet, though. My guess is it will be to unveil the hardware capabilities and features.

21 minutes ago, nublood said:

I don't get it. Seems like a failed opportunity from a marketing standpoint. Brand new console, huge crowds, media outlets everywhere... somebody help me understand.

It’s expensive and they have to share the news cycle with everybody else.

E3 is going through an identity crisis. The trade show it is not as companies are now making their orders earlier in the year and June is too late for them. The Big three are also going direct to the fans online. The public aspect is a mess. It seems like a bad idea for a PAX like event since it is not setup as such. If they move it earlier will Developers have enough to show earlier in the year?

Sony not going this year is the big deal that E3 has to change or die. Either go all in for fans and change the event to really cater to that crowd or move it up and make it a trade show like it was setup as.

54 minutes ago, nublood said:

I don't get it. Seems like a failed opportunity from a marketing standpoint. Brand new console, huge crowds, media outlets everywhere... somebody help me understand.

Having their own event on their own terms probably works out better for them. Whatever week Sony reveals the PS5, Sony will pretty much own the news cycle that whole week. It will be filled with people critiquing and predicting every minor detail.

Sounds better than getting lumped into the info dump of whatever Nintendo and Microsoft are also announcing. 

1 hour ago, nublood said:

The non-gaming media have largely stopped covering e3.  The gaming media and "mass media" will go to a Sony-specific launch event.  e3 costs a huge amount for a company like Sony to support, and they can get more attention for their $ by running their own events.

This is why other companies such as Activision, EA (who run their own nearby event simultaneously) and Rockstar have largely abandoned e3.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:42 AM, crispy4000 said:

Dunno about that, but I think the era of big E3 press conferences (ie: stage presentations) will slowly come to a close.  Just as slow floor demos have seen a reduced focus from most major publishers.

I recognize E3 will continue to exist in some form, but this year was their last chance to return to something resembling the spectacle it once was. It now looks like it will be a shell of itself.

And judging by the press release provided following this announcement (and pretty much everything they’ve done for the last 3 years), the people running it have absolutely no idea what they’re doing...