Quibi - The streaming service that wants to bring hollywood to mobile has launched

TwinIon

On 4/7/2020 at 2:15 PM, sblfilms said:

You can definitely screenshot Netflix from Windows desktop.

On 4/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't see why you couldn't do it from a mac either... let me check.  Yup just did it and I would prove it if I knew how to embed screengrabs here :p

Okay, I finally had a chance to confirm and it looks like you can do it from the browser, but that if you use the Microsoft Store Netflix app on a Windows desktop device, it'll black out the screen if you engage the snipping tool. That's primarily what I use for Netflix on my desktop so that's why I thought you couldn't do it at all on desktop.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Okay, I finally had a chance to confirm and it looks like you can do it from the browser, but that if you use the Microsoft Store Netflix app on a Windows desktop device, it'll black out the screen if you engage the snipping tool. That's primarily what I use for Netflix on my desktop so that's why I thought you couldn't do it at all on desktop.

That’s so dumb :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just don’t like watching narrative content on my phone. The screen isn’t big enough, and I have an iPhone 7 Plus, so the screen is already pretty damn big. Why not make a tablet app? I constantly bring my tablet into the bathroom with me. In theory I’m into shorter episodes but why be so restrictive on how I have to consume these miniaturized episodes?

5 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I just don’t like watching narrative content on my phone. The screen isn’t big enough, and I have an iPhone 7 Plus, so the screen is already pretty damn big. Why not make a tablet app? I constantly bring my tablet into the bathroom with me. In theory I’m into shorter episodes but why be so restrictive on how I have to consume these miniaturized episodes?

I think they are working on a tablet version as well as the ability to cast to TV's... they underestimated the demand for people wanting the option to view on larger screens. They have an Ipad app but you're still viewing at phone dimensions. I hope folks give this service a chance because I'm digging the content so far. I finished "When The Street Lights Come On" yesterday. It was solid. Nothing is "Must watch" yet... but nothing has been horrible either. I haven't watched any of the comedies yet though :p

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think they are working on a tablet version as well as the ability to cast to TV's... they underestimated the demand for people wanting the option to view on larger screens. They have an Ipad app but you're still viewing at phone dimensions. I hope folks give this service a chance because I'm digging the content so far. I finished "When The Street Lights Come On" yesterday. It was solid. Nothing is "Must watch" yet... but nothing has been horrible either. I haven't watched any of the comedies yet though :p

The question about the content I have is if it's made any better by the presentation? Is the good stuff just well made content that would work anywhere else, or is the short form, turnstyle, mobile first nature of the platform actually contributing something?

I feel like Quibi should only succeed in the case of the latter. Give a good media exec $1.7B and they sure as hell better be able to turn out a couple good shows, but that doesn't make a case for Quibi.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The question about the content I have is if it's made any better by the presentation? Is the good stuff just well made content that would work anywhere else, or is the short form, turnstyle, mobile first nature of the platform actually contributing something?

I feel like Quibi should only succeed in the case of the latter. Give a good media exec $1.7B and they sure as hell better be able to turn out a couple good shows, but that doesn't make a case for Quibi.

I definitely feel like the shows I've watched have benefited from the format.  They are short and designed to be consumed quickly and the mobile format works to me personally.  I've been working the overnight shift these past few weeks and I have a lot of downtime. Watching a couple of episodes of one of these Quibi shows works perfectly in situation like this. I can see this service being really popular with commuters,  college kids and folks who have jobs that require a lot of sitting.  Buy here's the thing... they've made it very easy for folks to try the thing out for themselves.  Anyone can get a 90 day free trial and make up their own minds. I feel like if folks get past their own preconceived notions and biases about what this thing is and isn't,  there's something to be enjoyed here. To be fair, I'm also a fan of the short form format. but that's just me. All of their content I've watched so far has bern pretty good and even if this thing fails,  they'll make money just selling their library of stuff. They don't have that "Must watch" show just yet, but I can totally see them breaking out with something. They also have an advantage in that they apparently have a ton of programming in the queue and have said that they have enough original content to last them to November.  Given the drought that the other studios and content providers are gonna hit, this may work out for them. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I definitely feel like the shows I've watched have benefited from the format.  They are short and designed to be consumed quickly and the mobile format works to me personally.  I've been working the overnight shift these past few weeks and I have a lot of downtime. Watching a couple of episodes of one of these Quibi shows works perfectly in situation like this. I can see this service being really popular with commuters,  college kids and folks who have jobs that require a lot of sitting.  Buy here's the thing... they've made it very easy for folks to try the thing out for themselves.  Anyone can get a 90 day free trial and make up their own minds. I feel like if folks get past their own preconceived notions and biases about what this thing is and isn't,  there's something to be enjoyed here. To be fair, I'm also a fan of the short form format. but that's just me. All of their content I've watched so far has bern pretty good and even if this thing fails,  they'll make money just selling their library of stuff. They don't have that "Must watch" show just yet, but I can totally see them breaking out with something. They also have an advantage in that they apparently have a ton of programming in the queue and have said that they have enough original content to last them to November.  Given the drought that the other studios and content providers are gonna hit, this may work out for them. 

Is the turnstyle thing a little overhyped or is it just me? I was expecting totally seamless, but it's not. Much better than other apps, but I still notice it rotate most of the times.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

Is the turnstyle thing a little overhyped or is it just me? I was expecting totally seamless, but it's not. Much better than other apps, but I still notice it rotate most of the times.

It's pretty seamless on my phone... not that I use it much. I prefer to watch things "widescreen" but I have switched to portrait mode sometimes just because I was curious as to how a particular shot would be framed in that mode. But yeah, it's been pretty snappy for me for the most part. I have had this weird issue where I try to watch a downloaded video and it won't load. I have to quit the app and restart my whole phone and then it works fine. That has happened regularly enough for me to definitely identify it as a bug. That's pretty much the only technical issue I've had.

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's pretty seamless on my phone... not that I use it much. I prefer to watch things "widescreen" but I have switched to portrait mode sometimes just because I was curious as to how a particular shot would be framed in that mode. But yeah, it's been pretty snappy for me for the most part. I have had this weird issue where I try to watch a downloaded video and it won't load. I have to quit the app and restart my whole phone and then it works fine. That has happened regularly enough for me to definitely identify it as a bug. That's pretty much the only technical issue I've had.

I think I'm just being picky. I keep rotating it back and forth and get disappointed at the occasional hiccup.

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do you have an iPhone? Seems to be way snappier on my wife's IPhone than my S8 Plus :(.

• 2 weeks later...

Launching a mobile only service designed for people on the go without the option of watching on a television during a pandemic when most people are stuck at home was definitely not the best of circumstances. They probably should have delayed the launch to be honest because while they have a lot of decent, exclusive programming, not being able to watch cast it to your television while you're stuck at home definitely hurts them. As does not being able to share clips with friends... I tried to share something with a friend of mine but she could watch it unless she downloaed the app... which she wasn't willing to do. Would things have been different for them if the pandemic hadn't hit? I don't know... to be honest, none of their programming is must watch.  But I've liked enough of their programming to download their stuff to my phone to watch at night for the nights I have to actually go in to the studio. I hope their able to turn it around... we'll see.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Launching a mobile only service designed for people on the go without the option of watching on a television during a pandemic when most people are stuck at home was definitely not the best of circumstances. They probably should have delayed the launch to be honest because while they have a lot of decent, exclusive programming, not being able to watch cast it to your television while you're stuck at home definitely hurts them. As does not being able to share clips with friends... I tried to share something with a friend of mine but she could watch it unless she downloaed the app... which she wasn't willing to do. Would things have been different for them if the pandemic hadn't hit? I don't know... to be honest, none of their programming is must watch.  But I've liked enough of their programming to download their stuff to my phone to watch at night for the nights I have to actually go in to the studio. I hope their able to turn it around... we'll see.

The mobile-only thing was always a dumb idea. The timing with the pandemic definitely exacerbated it, but it was still always a dumb idea.

Making the content easy to consume in small bursts while on the go was a good idea. The whole landscape/portrait thing is whatever but sort of interesting. But they were always excluding a ton of potential viewers by making it mobile-only.

• 4 months later...

Quibi looking for a sale or merger

Short-form video startup Quibi is said to be exploring strategic options including a sale less than six months after its launch.

The mobile-first service founded by Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman is working with advisors to weigh several options, including raising more money and going public through a merger with a special purpose acquisition company, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

A Quibi spokeswoman declined to comment. "Quibi has successfully launched a new business and pioneered a new form of storytelling and state-of-the-art platform," she said in a statement, adding that "Meg and Jeffrey are committed to continuing to build the business in the way that gives the greatest experience for customers, greatest value for shareholders and greatest opportunity for employees."