Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition -- Official Thread

AbsolutSurgen

47 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Nice. Are they showing anything at adepticon?

5 hours till GW spills the worst kept secret in Wargaming (return of Lionel Johnson)

There is a "State of the Studio" panel at Adepticon on Sunday.  I would expect it to be mostly focused on Marvel CP and Shatterpoint, but they may show the rest of the starter packs -- and potentially some of the reprints they announced last year.

• 9 months later...
21 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm trying to play a couple of in-person casual games a week of X-Wing.

I joined an online league last year, that had lots of tourney regulars.  Apparently, if you play a tabletop game daily for close to 10 years, you get good at it.  I lost.  A lot.

Getting online in the 90's was how I realized I was trash at games compared to a lot of people.

Going to FLGSs in the 20XX's was how I realized I was trash at tabletop games compared to a lot of people.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Getting online in the 90's was how I realized I was trash at games compared to a lot of people.

Going to FLGSs in the 20XX's was how I realized I was trash at tabletop games compared to a lot of people.

I hold my own with most at the FLGS.  It was when I started playing against the tourney players that things changed -- I managed a victory against in the league against a member of Columbia's XTC (X-Wing Team Championship) team.

The captain of my team was the current Canadian Champion and co-lead of Canada's XTC team (2022 winners, 2023 runners up).  We agreed strategically to have me be the sacrificial lamb --- I was assigned the worst faction in the meta (and one I had never played before) , and he pitted me against their best player/faction combo.  It sucked in terms of self-confidence, but I also dramatically improved my game.

35 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I hold my own with most at the FLGS.  It was when I started playing against the tourney players that things changed -- I managed a victory against in the league against a member of Columbia's XTC (X-Wing Team Championship) team.

The captain of my team was the current Canadian Champion and co-lead of Canada's XTC team (2022 winners, 2023 runners up).  We agreed strategically to have me be the sacrificial lamb --- I was assigned the worst faction in the meta (and one I had never played before) , and he pitted me against their best player/faction combo.  It sucked in terms of self-confidence, but I also dramatically improved my game.

I remember a really distinct wall when I played Imperial Assault and Destiny competitively at regional tournaments between people who played on TTS and people who didn't. I was one of the latter and could usually hang until I ran into the former. I went to a Destiny launch event for one wave or another and as I was getting worked over was being told I was playing combos sub optimally; I was playing the cards for the first time, they'd had them from leaks / previews online for a couple months and I just got bounced.

59 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I remember a really distinct wall when I played Imperial Assault and Destiny competitively at regional tournaments between people who played on TTS and people who didn't. I was one of the latter and could usually hang until I ran into the former. I went to a Destiny launch event for one wave or another and as I was getting worked over was being told I was playing combos sub optimally; I was playing the cards for the first time, they'd had them from leaks / previews online for a couple months and I just got bounced.

I think everyone who plays X-Wing plays some TTS. 
It was the only way to play during COVID. And, the international leagues are TTS only. Some of the guys only play physical ships at the store championships. 
This summer was a disaster for me with work and home projects, so I mostly missed all the local store championships. My objective for this summer is to win a spot at worlds. (The spot, not the fully paid for ride. )

• 1 month later...

2 more rounds in Swiss.  The captain of my NCX league team can make the cut, if he doesn't lose.

Oddly, my opponent from last week's game (we were tied 13-13 going into the last turn), and I lost on some bad dice variance is ranked 5 (@7-1 right now).

Interesting to see that most of the people I have played in my league made it to day 2 at World's.  Last week's opponent just made the cut, and will be in top 16.

I don't feel so bad about losing to them anymore -- last season I was getting blown out, this season I am at least competitive.

• Halal 1

Recap of worlds:

ROLLBETTER.GG
  1. Republic Arcs are the meta, 3 of the top four were Republic ARCs (and both in the final)
  2. New world champion is Ilias Ikonimidis, the youngest World Champion ever
  3. The new Battle of Endor scenario pack was used extensively in Rebel/Empire lists.  Lots of great pilots.

I really hope AMG does a points update, it is time for an update to the meta.  In particular, Jag/Wolffe/Oddball can't be 12 points anymore.

On a sidenote -- I won my first league game this season (Week 4) -- playing a top UK player (eliminated in the top 8 out of 113 of the most prestigious UK tournament).  Lots of great players on my team (French Champion, Canadian Champion, Spanish Champion), so I am given the least favourable matchup.  It was really emotionally tough last season, because I was playing great players who had an advantageous matchup in terms of faction/scenario.  I got creamed a whole lot.  However, I learned a ton, and am really improving.  Now, to the point that I can actually beat some good players with a little luck.

• Halal 1