Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition -- Official Thread

AbsolutSurgen

X-Wing 2.0 is a miniatures tabletop game, where fleets of ships from the Star Wars universe battle each other.

Q:  What do I need to play?

A:  All that is required to play is a copy of the core set for each player.  The core set comes with maneuver templates, range finder, dice, a damage deck, and three ships (two tie fighters and an X-Wing) and enough upgrade cards to play the game.  As with all miniature games, "playing" the game involves buying additional ships.

Q:  What Factions can I play?

A:  Players are expected to pick one "faction" in each game.  Factions are selected from the recent history of Star Wars, and feature pilots and ships from the Star Wars movies, comic books and animated series.  Current factions are Galactic Republic, Rebel Alliance, Resistance, Separatist Alliance, Galactic Empire, First Order and Scum and Villany.

Q: What ships can I buy?

A: There are dozens of ships across seven factions.  While playing the game, each player is expected to play ships exclusively from one of those factions.  Most players choose to specialize in one (or two) of those factions.  Sometimes, however, the allure of buying cool little Star Wars miniatues, causes players to expand their focus.  :)

Q:  How do I play the game?

Q:  What accessories should I buy?

A:  Nothing is needed to play the game beyond the core set, but there are a number of add-ons or accessories that can enhance the expierence.

1)  Most players have a game mat, which defines the 3'x3' play area, and provides a consistent surface to move around your fleet.  More economical versions (and generic brands) are available online.

2)  The Epic Battles Multiplayer Expansion opens up additional game types.  This can add additional game types that use more ships, more players and the opportunity to play with "huge ships"

3)  Many players buy custom damage decks, maneuver templates, tokens, dice and movement dials.  These are primarily cosmetic.

Q:  The core set allows me to "quick build" my squadron -- but I've heard about 200 point lists.

A:  Most players quickly move into playing the game for "real".  This involves building a balanced "fleet" -- or a 200-point list.  The current "point" value of each pilot/ship and upgrade card are available on FFG's website.  However, while FFG has an online squadbuilder, most players seem to use YASB 2.0 to build their squads.  The point levels will change every 3-4 months, as FFG tries to balance the meta.

Q;  Is it expensive to play X-Wing?

A:  Its a miniatures game -- it is expensive.  HOWEVER, once you get a workable "list" the cost is very manageable.  Most players can play the game by buying 1-2 ships a year.

Q;  I have no friends that want to play this game, how do I start playing?

A:  Local miniature/board game stores are still very vibrant.  Many of them have have "gaming nights" that may include a regular X-Wing gaming night.  Show up, and make a connection!

Q:  I've heard X-Wing is awesome, should I start playing?

A:  Yes.

Q:  Is it hard to play?

A:  Not really.  When you begin the game, it may feel slightly overwhelming, however the basics of the game are actually quite simple.

Q:  What are some good online resources that will help me follow-up on the game?

There are a number of good youtube channels that feature regular content on the game, including new ships, new announcements and streaming of tournament games.  Some include:

Crabbok

Hairy Nick

Gold Squadron Podcast

Fantasy Flight Games

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Wave 7 looks rad. I have a bunch of Imp and Rebel ships from 1st ed I got the conversion kit for, but I’m tempted to flip them and stick with the First Order... Bah. 

I play Imperial, Rebel and FO.  And I enjoy playing FO, but unfortunately it only has a few ships, so I play Imperial a lot more.

That may change with Major Vonreg due out soon.

A Legend Reborn  -- Major Vonreg Preview

swz62_box_left.png

Sometimes a single pilot becomes so closely associated with a ship, they come to define it. Such was the case with Soontir Fel, whose exploits in the TIE/in Interceptor during the Galactic Civil War became the stuff of legend. With the First Order taking up the mantle of the Empire, it is only appropriate that Major Baron Elrik Vonreg continue this tradition, putting his own stamp on an advanced version of Fel’s signature starfighter.

Vonreg’s vision guided the transformation of the Empire’s TIE/in Interceptor into the First Order’s TIE/ba Interceptor, a one-of-a-kind precise and lethal craft from Sienar-Jaemus Fleet Systems.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I play Imperial, Rebel and FO.  And I enjoy playing FO, but unfortunately it only has a few ships, so I play Imperial a lot more.

That may change with Major Vonreg due out soon.

Yeah I hear you. There’s something appealing to me about purging most of my content... before 2nd Ed I had ships from all factions since I played casually pretty often. Now I play less but have the urge from time to time, and it’d be useful to have a small pool and a tight list. 

Honestly the biggest issue for me is that there are so many mechanics and actions that I have no muscle memory for in 2nd Ed that I need my nose in the rules more often than I’d like. 

19 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah I hear you. There’s something appealing to me about purging most of my content... before 2nd Ed I had ships from all factions since I played casually pretty often. Now I play less but have the urge from time to time, and it’d be useful to have a small pool and a tight list. 

Honestly the biggest issue for me is that there are so many mechanics and actions that I have no muscle memory for in 2nd Ed that I need my nose in the rules more often than I’d like. 

You're absolutely right.  My son has a lot of ships with unique upgrades, and complicated mechanics.  Last weekend, I even had to go into the "expanded rules" to solve a dispute on what could/couldn't be done.  The bigger your list, the more complicated it gets, particularly if you only play each ship a few times.

Explosive Speed Preview the Fireball Expansion Pack for Star Wars: X-Wing

swz63_box_left.png

Some starship pilots make a name for themselves in the heat of battle, showcasing their skills as they shoot down enemy fighters. Others take a different path entirely, beginning their careers as racers, working around the clock to keep their cobbled-together ships in the sky long enough to cross the finish line.

Whatever route they take, these pilots need nerves of steel if they’re to find success. A rare few —such as Kazuda Xiono—live in both worlds, building a reputation as both a racer and a starfighter pilot. Soon, you can help Xiono on this journey to become the best pilot in the galaxy with the Fireball Expansion Pack for Star Wars™: X-Wing!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I’ve mostly been flying Empire lately, and have been experimenting with Darth Vader in the Tie Advanced x1, Fifth Brother in the Tie Advanced v1, and Rexler Brath in the Tie Defender. (And trading some of those out for a Decimator or Soontir Fel in an Interceptor). 
I am so pumped for this pack, I think it will turn my lists completely around. More on Vader in a Defender. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of info released on new Squadron Packs:

From Out of the Flames

swz83_box_left.png

swz83-productspread.png

The Rebel squadron known as Phoenix Cell is renowned for good reason. Founded by Hera Syndulla and with members as legendary as Wedge Antilles and Sabine Wren, this unit has been key to countless Rebel victories. Some of its members were raised by resistors; others left the Imperial Academy to fight the Empire’s tyranny. Regardless of the circumstances of their birth or background, its pilots choose to resist the Galactic Empire together.

The Phoenix Cell Squadron Pack brings this foundational Rebel squad to the table in Star Wars™: X-Wing, including a pair of nimble RZ-1 A-wings and a potent A/SF-01 B-wing starfighter. It also adds iconic aces like Hera Syndulla, Wedge Antilles, Sabine Wren, Ahsoka Tano, and Shara Bey to your squadron, alongside useful faction upgrades like Hopeful and the gunner version of Sabine Wren. It can serve as launch bay into the world of Star Wars: X-Wing or supplement even a veteran player’s Rebel collection with its memorable new pilots and upgrades.

Strike Without Mercy

swz84_box_left.png

swz84-productspread.png

The Galactic Empire is a regime sustained by cruelty and callous disregard for life, including the lives of its own pilots. At training facilities like Skystrike Academy, Imperial cadets are taught to put the mission above the lives of their comrades. In such a cutthroat environment, the treacherous thrive – those willing to prioritize their own survival while extolling the virtue of other people’s sacrifices.

The Skystrike Academy Squadron Pack brings Imperial brutality to the table in Star Wars™: X-Wing, including a pair of swift TIE/in Interceptors and a devastating TIE/d Defender. It also adds iconic aces like Vult Skerris, Commandant Gorran, and Ciena Ree to your hangar alongside powerful Imperial faction upgrades like Disciplined and Skystrike Academy Class. Whether it is the start of your X-Wing collection or a fresh wave of recruits for your Imperial forces, the Skystrike Academy Squadron Pack gives you access to the tools to win through the time-tested Imperial strategy of attrition.

The Desperate and the Devious

swz85_box_left.png

swz85-productspread.png

Throughout the history of the Star Wars™ galaxy, there have been those who stood in the shadows between the great powers of each era. From outcast Jedi padawans trying to forget their pasts after Order 66 to mercenaries who serve the nefarious First Order for credits, there have always been Fugitives and Collaborators.

The Fugitives and Collaborators Squadron Pack for Scum and Villainy includes one HWK-290 light freighter and two BTL-A4 Y-wing starfighters, all flown by outsiders who find themselves drawn into deadly conflicts. Some are mercenaries like Arliz Hadrassian and the Amaxine Warriors who flock to conflicts in any era. Others are opportunists like Gamut Key . And still others are there not in the criminal underworld because they desire to be, but because the galaxy has left them outcast, like Kanan Jarrus . Whether you are a new player of Star Wars™: X-Wing or an old pirate like Hondo Ohnaka who has been playing Scum and Villainy for years, this squadron pack delivers the best and worst of the galactic underworld to the game table.

The squad builder YASB (that most of the Xwing players I know use to build their lists use) has been upgraded to allow you to build lists with ships from any factions.  This is a great feature for new players who may not have a lot of ships and want to play casual games with their friends.  Or, conversely, with players with lots of ships that want to create crazy combos (Vader and Anakin together? or Luke and Vader?).

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My goal once the lockdown restrictions ease is to find a local group in the DC area to play this with!

I should really get a squad together too. I don’t play often enough and anyone who plays regularly will wash me, but it’s too fun for me to care much. 

Armada is also absolutely worth checking out too, but you should find someone to play with first. It’s less popular and takes longer but it’s quite good. 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:50 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My goal once the lockdown restrictions ease is to find a local group in the DC area to play this with!

If you can find a local game store that has a community that would be ideal -- my local store, when I was in Michigan, had a pretty robust group that met once a week.  (My local store here doesn't).

IMHO, the best way to dip your toe into the game is with a like-minded friend using just the core set.  Then pick a faction, buy a few ships and go from there.

On 3/1/2021 at 8:17 AM, Kal-El814 said:

I should really get a squad together too. I don’t play often enough and anyone who plays regularly will wash me, but it’s too fun for me to care much. 

Armada is also absolutely worth checking out too, but you should find someone to play with first. It’s less popular and takes longer but it’s quite good. 

I agree the game is tremendous fun.

I wish I was somewhere that there was an Armada community -- I've always wanted to play but my LGS barely stocks anything for it (let alone having an active community).

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Reading through this made me realize that we really need a turn-based tactical/strategic Star Wars game. Something like Rebellion (for strategic), or maybe even something smaller.

With the new changes to how they are licensing SW for video games, maybe we will eventually get one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/24/2021 at 10:07 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Just do it.  You won't regret it.

The problem is hardly anyone plays it around here. We have a fairly good Warhammer 40k/AoS community, and a growing Flames of War community, but nobody wants to jump into these games.

47 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The problem is hardly anyone plays it around here. We have a fairly good Warhammer 40k/AoS community, and a growing Flames of War community, but nobody wants to jump into these games.

I haven't connected with the local community yet -- still playing a couple of games a week with my son.  (We sometimes have twitch games on in the background on the weekend as well).  

My LGS hasn't opened up yet, but I know there is a relatively large tournament scene in my area. 

The other option is to play on TTS -- there are a number of discord servers that people meet up on to organize games.  (I haven't played via TTS, but if you want me to pass on some of the discord servers, let me know.)

16 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I haven't connected with the local community yet -- still playing a couple of games a week with my son.  (We sometimes have twitch games on in the background on the weekend as well).  

My LGS hasn't opened up yet, but I know there is a relatively large tournament scene in my area. 

The other option is to play on TTS -- there are a number of discord servers that people meet up on to organize games.  (I haven't played via TTS, but if you want me to pass on some of the discord servers, let me know.)

Nice. 

Last year was a long year. Ive been playing warhammer for over two decades, and it really sucked to not be able to play all of last year.

It let me catch up on my pile of shame though.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@AbsolutSurgen @Kal-El814 

With Luke Eddy's firing, all the original lead developers for Armada, Legion, and X-Wing are now gone.

This stinks. Legion is in a good spot rules / content wise and I have enough to point to keep me busy for a while. Likewise I think X-Wing is in a pretty good spot, but I fly Empire these days so there’s less content coming out for that faction.

I wonder where these games will end up.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@AbsolutSurgen @Kal-El814 

With Luke Eddy's firing, all the original lead developers for Armada, Legion, and X-Wing are now gone.

Yes.  At FFG, Luke was primarily on Legion.

We haven't seen any AMG developed content yet -- Max Brooke developed the "Fury of the First Order" for FFG that will be released next month.

The only developer we are aware of still working on the Star Wars games is Michael Plummer...  AMG has been strangely silent on what's going on.

20 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Yes.  At FFG, Luke was primarily on Legion.

We haven't seen any AMG developed content yet -- Max Brooke developed the "Fury of the First Order" for FFG that will be released next month.

The only developer we are aware of still working on the Star Wars games is Michael Plummer...  AMG has been strangely silent on what's going on.

Im sure there are others working on it. Calm before the storm type thing. Probably prepping to launch a new edition or something.

For someone new to the star wars mini games, whats the difference between Armada and X-wing (ive played legion a couple of times).

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

For someone new to the star wars mini games, whats the difference between Armada and X-wing (ive played legion a couple of times).

Armada is a fleet-based game involving large capital ships while X-Wing involves combat between individual fighter-type craft.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Im sure there are others working on it. Calm before the storm type thing. Probably prepping to launch a new edition or something.

Hopefully they're not doing a new edition for X-Wing -- that would be a disaster for the game.  We're only about 3-years into 2nd edition.

Edit:  I was writing the answer (that I haven't played Armada) while @Commissar SFLUFAN responded.