Jump to content
osxmatt

Update: DoD and Iraqi officials believe Ukrainian airliner was accidentally shot down by Iranian Tor M-1 SAM

Recommended Posts

I'm curious as to how the NYT verified that. Because my guess is that they maybe just stole from the OSINT community. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

I'm curious as to how the NYT verified that. Because my guess is that they maybe just stole from the OSINT community. 

They may have received a version with metadata still in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said in the other thread, the shoe's on the other foot now. Now Iran has inadvertently shot down a passenger plane thanks to the fog of war. Their response will be telling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iran plane crash: Ukrainian jet was 'unintentionally' shot down

Quote

An investigation found that "missiles fired due to human error", President Hassan Rouhani said. He described the crash as an "unforgivable mistake".

The military said the jet turned towards a sensitive site belonging to Iran's Revolutionary Guards and was then mistaken for a cruise missile.

Quote

On Saturday morning, an Iranian military statement read on state TV announced that it had struck flight PS752 with a missile by mistake.

It said the plane had turned towards a "sensitive military centre" of the Revolutionary Guards, a force set up to defend the country's Islamic system. The statement said it had the "flying posture and altitude of an enemy target".

Because of heightened tensions with the US, Iran's military "was at its highest level of readiness", the statement added. "In such a condition, because of human error and in an unintentional way, the flight was hit."

The military apologised for downing the plane, saying it would upgrade its systems to prevent such "mistakes" in the future. It added that those responsible would be held accountable and prosecuted.

Ukraine International Airlines denies that the plane veered from its expected course before the crash. It says officials should have closed the airport.

Brig-Gen Amir Ali Hajizadeh, the Revolutionary Guards aerospace commander, said the force took "full responsibility" for the crash.

He said a request had been made for a no-fly zone in the area before the incident but - for reasons that are unclear - this was rejected.

Gen Hajizadeh also said the aircraft was shot down by a short-range missile that exploded next to it. He said he informed the authorities about what had happened on Wednesday, days before Iran publicly admitted its involvement.

Quote

Foreign Minister Javad Zarif apologised to the families of the victims but laid part of the blame on the US. "Human error at a time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to [this] disaster," he said.

Shooting down a commercial flight, minutes after it took off from their own commercial airport, following its normal flightpath could only be classified as "gross incompetence".  I don't know if a plane has ever been shot down under similar circumstances before.

 

I wonder what led to the change in the official Iranian government position?  I wonder if the availability of social media (within Iran, sourced by Iranians) of missile parts and the missile hitting the plane led to common Iranians recognizing that their government had just killed hundreds of their own civilians.  And that there was finally a recognition within their own theocracy that propaganda could no longer change the perception that a missile strike shot down this plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This explanation is essentially how I suspected it could have happened. 

 

The most surprising part to me is that Iran came out and admitted it fully. Already, Iran is more responsible than Russia when they did the same thing. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ukraine president expects full investigation, compensation from Iran on plane crash

Quote

Ukraine expects a full investigation, a full admission of guilt and compensation from Iran after the downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in a statement on Saturday.

Iran had earlier said it mistakenly shot down a plane killing all 176 people aboard and voiced its deep regret, after initially denying it brought down the aircraft in the tense aftermath of Iranian missile strikes on U.S. targets in Iraq.

Zelenskiy said “Iran has pleaded guilty to crashing the Ukrainian plane. But we insist on a full admission of guilt.”

“We expect from Iran assurances of their readiness for a full and open investigation, bringing those responsible to justice, the return of the bodies of the dead, the payment of compensation, official apologies through diplomatic channels,” he added.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Comet said:

As is Muslim tradition, are they going to pay out a diya? 

I suspect the Ukraine president is also concerned about who is going to pay for the $130 million plane they just shot down, as well as compensating the Ukraine government for the investigative resources they've used as a result of the Iranian governments misinformation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I suspect the Ukraine president is also concerned about who is going to pay for the $130 million plane they just shot down, as well as compensating the Ukraine government for the investigative resources they've used as a result of the Iranian governments misinformation.

 

I imagine Canada will be asking the same (though moreso for victim compensation).

 

Also while some are decrying it as PR, Trudeau is meeting individually with all 30+ families who lost loved ones in the strike: https://globalnews.ca/news/6397327/shakiba-feghahati-rosstin-moghaddam-iran-plane-crash/

 

He also walked to (and through) the candlelight vigil on Parliament Hill and met with families and loved ones.

 

Like, I get how it can be considered a PR move, and yes, I'm sure it makes people like him. At the same time, is it not also basic human decency for a large tragedy? I'd rather have a leader who takes the time to do this compared to Trump who just says they were in a bad neighbourhood, implying the victims hold some of the blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

I imagine Canada will be asking the same (though moreso for victim compensation).

 

Also while some are decrying it as PR, Trudeau is meeting individually with all 30+ families who lost loved ones in the strike: https://globalnews.ca/news/6397327/shakiba-feghahati-rosstin-moghaddam-iran-plane-crash/

 

He also walked to (and through) the candlelight vigil on Parliament Hill and met with families and loved ones.

 

Like, I get how it can be considered a PR move, and yes, I'm sure it makes people like him. At the same time, is it not also basic human decency for a large tragedy? I'd rather have a leader who takes the time to do this compared to Trump who just says they were in a bad neighbourhood, implying the victims hold some of the blame.

They knew what they signed up for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CayceG said:

This explanation is essentially how I suspected it could have happened. 

 

The most surprising part to me is that Iran came out and admitted it fully. Already, Iran is more responsible than Russia when they did the same thing. 

 

 

Yeah it kind of blows my mind that they would admit to this. Which is really a pretty sad state of affairs when we just expect leaders -- not just ours but those of so many countries -- to cover things up, deny responsibility, or otherwise deceive. :sadsun:

 

So, I guess good on Iran for at least admitting their mistake. Now if it just hadn't cost so many innocent lives. :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah it kind of blows my mind that they would admit to this. Which is really a pretty sad state of affairs when we just expect leaders -- not just ours but those of so many countries -- to cover things up, deny responsibility, or otherwise deceive. :sadsun:

 

So, I guess good on Iran for at least admitting their mistake. Now if it just hadn't cost so many innocent lives. :/ 


They did lie about it initially until they really couldn’t credibly deny it further. But with a bunch of people not simply suggesting that the IS bears some responsibility, but that it’s ultimately the fault of the US, why not just go ahead and “take responsibility”. It’s another very rational action on their part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada gives $25k each to families of 57 Canadian citizens and 29 permanent residents killed in Flight PS752 strike

 

 

Quote

Canada will give the families of individuals killed in the downing of UIA Flight PS752 thousands of dollars to help with their immediate needs, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today — stressing it's only a first step toward getting Iran to compensate those grieving families.

 

"I want to be clear, we expect Iran to compensate these families," Trudeau said during a news conference in Ottawa Friday morning.

 

"But I have met them. They can't wait weeks. They need support now."

 

Quote

Trudeau's latest update comes as Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne is in Oman for a rare face-to-face meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif following last week's disaster near Tehran. Canada cut diplomatic ties with the country in 2012.

 

Quote

Trudeau said any compensation from Iran would go straight to families and would not be used to reimburse the federal government.

 

Earlier this week, the government announced it also would waive fees and speed up visa processing times for those affected by the tragedy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...