Going to NYC this Summer, advice?

CastlevaniaNut18

I think we've settled on July, because I want to see the Red Sox play at Yankee stadium. Never been to NYC before, so I'm probably going to feel really overwhelmed. I know I want to hit some of the main spots, like Central Park, Ground Zero, take the Staten Island Ferry, go to the Met, etc. I'm open to other suggestions, too.

One thing I'd like to do is see a show on Broadway. What's the proper attire, without having to be super fancy?

Plan on mostly sticking to the subway, as that's what we've done in other big cities and I don't want to constantly be shelling out money for taxis and Ubers. Is that fine?

Plan is to stay in Manhattan, renting a VRBO. We did that in Chicago last year and it was cheaper than a hotel and worked out well.

Basically, do my plans sounds okay and I'll take any other advice. I know @Jose lives there, @Jason used to and anyone else very familiar with the city feel free to chime in. I'm excited, but also rather intimidated.

Your plans sound fine. For going crosstown, especially above 59th St, you're going to have to take the bus. The M (Manhattan) buses numbered for the street they run on should all be fine—M14, M86, etc. Use Google/Apple Maps or Transit App and it'll route you appropriately.

For the Met I'd walk around Central Park and then go into the Met—it abuts Central Park. 

Times Square is shit but I guess it's worth walking through once at night if you've never been to NYC. Maybe after your Broadway play, if it lets out at night 

Wear whatever you want to the play, I'd say the main concern I'd have is if you're in shorts and a t-shirt you might get cold during the play. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Your plans sound fine. For going crosstown, especially above 59th St, you're going to have to take the bus. The M (Manhattan) buses numbered for the street they run on should all be fine—M14, M86, etc. Use Google/Apple Maps or Transit App and it'll route you appropriately.

For the Met I'd walk around Central Park and then go into the Met—it abuts Central Park. 

Times Square is shit but I guess it's worth walking through once at night if you've never been to NYC. Maybe after your Broadway play, if it lets out at night 

Wear whatever you want to the play, I'd say the main concern I'd have is if you're in shorts and a t-shirt you might get cold during the play. 

Thanks. Any eating recommendations? This is pretty much going to be a casual dress trip.

4 hours ago, SimpleG said:

I'm here now working. @CastlevaniaNut18 You'll be fine dealing with the Subway for the most part. You don't even need a metro card anymore and can pay with your phone in a lot of places. I don't think you're into comics but you should check out Midtown Comics ANYWAY while you're there. It's right near Broadway so when you go see whatever show you're gonna see, make time to check it out. You also don't have to be TOO dressed up to go to Broadway these days.  If you can check out the Bronx Zoo, do that. Also try and check out The Hayden Planetarium and make sure you find a GOOD Pizza place. You'll thanks me and truly discover that not all pizza is created equal :p Try and find one that is run be actual Italians :p

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You don't even need a metro card anymore and can pay with your phone in a lot of places

I think the OMNY rollout will be pretty far along by the summer but I'm not sure if it'll yet be at the point where you reliably 100% won't need a Metrocard in Manhattan.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think the OMNY rollout will be pretty far along by the summer but I'm not sure if it'll yet be at the point where you reliably 100% won't need a Metrocard in Manhattan.

Seems pretty widespread so far where I'm at in midtown but you're probably right. I haven't been to the boroughs this trip yet.

Be prepared for the subway being absolute bullshit. It's really a total disaster. So you might have to use Uber/Lyft occasionally when they decide to cancel certain subways without warning. But you can pay with your smartphone now, which is nice I guess lol.

Definitely check out Hudson Yards by the way. It's touristy without being lame like Time Square. Little Spain (like a Spanish Eataly if you have heard of Eataly. Btw, stay away from Eataly! Preposterously overpriced, even for NYC) is there. Also, you can take pics at the Vessel, which is all the rage these days. 

What kind of food do you guys like?

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm here now working. @CastlevaniaNut18 You'll be fine dealing with the Subway for the most part. You don't even need a metro card anymore and can pay with your phone in a lot of places. I don't think you're into comics but you should check out Midtown Comics ANYWAY while you're there. It's right near Broadway so when you go see whatever show you're gonna see, make time to check it out. You also don't have to be TOO dressed up to go to Broadway these days.  If you can check out the Bronx Zoo, do that. Also try and check out The Hayden Planetarium and make sure you find a GOOD Pizza place. You'll thanks me and truly discover that not all pizza is created equal :p Try and find one that is run be actual Italians :p

I never said all pizza is created equal, I'm just not a huge pizza snob. I do look forward to trying real NY style pizza, though.

Yeah, not much into comics, outside of reading a few of the big graphic novels from Batman, Deadpool, Daredevil, Punisher. But there's at least one big bookstore I want to visit, since I'm a book addict. Strand Bookstore, I think it's called.

27 minutes ago, Jose said:

Be prepared for the subway being absolute bullshit. It's really a total disaster. So you might have to use Uber/Lyft occasionally when they decide to cancel certain subways without warning. But you can pay with your smartphone now, which is nice I guess lol.

Definitely check out Hudson Yards by the way. It's touristy without being lame like Time Square. Little Spain (like a Spanish Eataly if you have heard of Eataly. Btw, stay away from Eataly! Preposterously overpriced, even for NYC) is there. Also, you can take pics at the Vessel, which is all the rage these days. 

What kind of food do you guys like?

Thanks. I guess I haven't been super adventurous with my foods, but I want to try out some new stuff on this trip. Love the typical American foods, typical Italian, any seafood, stuff like that. I'm sure we'll eat some stuff like that, but I'd like to try some new things while I'm there. Like, I've never eaten Thai or Vietnamese. Not really tried much Mediterranean or Middle Eastern or Indian foods.

Statue of Liberty and Eliis Island of course for a first timer. I highly recommend Highline Park. It's fun to walk through from end to end. You have to visit the Nintendo World Store as well and get some souvenirs there. The natural history museum is also good if you have the time.

@CastlevaniaNut18

How do you feel about Mexican? Cosme in Flatiron is unbelievably good. On the pricier end, even for NYC, but not too crazy either. I believe you have mentioned that you don't drink alcohol, so the bill won't be that bad, then. Also, you need to go to Los Tacos No 1 in the Chelsea Market. They have a location near Time Square that is way bigger with actual seats, but I think you and your husband will enjoy the original location in the Chelsea Market that gives off that taco stand vibe (no seats). It's cheap and they have the best tacos in the city, bar none. Plus, you both enjoy the Chelsea Market in general. It's like small foodie market/mall in a former warehouse space. Definitely a cool place.

In terms of Thai, I hear Uncle Boons is really amazing (haven't tried yet, but I want to). They have a Michelin star and the prices aren't bad at all.

15 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Statue of Liberty and Eliis Island of course for a first timer. I highly recommend Highline Park. It's fun to walk through from end to end. You have to visit the Nintendo World Store as well and get some souvenirs there. The natural history museum is also good if you have the time.

Oh, god, how'd I forget the Nintendo Store? That's a must. I'd like to visit the Natural History Museum. We went to those in DC and Chicago and had a great time.

10 minutes ago, Jose said:

@CastlevaniaNut18

How do you feel about Mexican? Cosme in Flatiron is unbelievably good. On the pricier end, even for NYC, but not too crazy either. I believe you have mentioned that you don't drink alcohol, so the bill won't be that bad, then. Also, you need to go to Los Tacos No 1 in the Chelsea Market. They have a location near Time Square that is way bigger with actual seats, but I think you and your husband will enjoy the original location in the Chelsea Market that gives off that taco stand vibe (no seats). It's cheap and they have the best tacos in the city, bar none. Plus, you both enjoy the Chelsea Market in general. It's like small foodie market/mall in a former warehouse space. Definitely a cool place.

In terms of Thai, I hear Uncle Boons is really amazing (haven't tried yet, but I want to). They have a Michelin star and the prices aren't bad at all.

Duh derp, forgot to mention Mexican. Yes, we both love Mexican, so those would be great. I won't do anymore drinking other than maybe a beer or two. He's a teetotaler.

Is it okay that I kinda just wanna stop at some food stand on the street and get a falafel or something? :p

A lot of good stuff so far, guys, thanks. I'm getting pretty excited now that I'm getting down to the planning. Also, does it really matter which airport we fly into? Looking at pricing and stuff right now and there doesn't seem to be much difference that way, so which one would be most convenient to fly into?

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, god, how'd I forget the Nintendo Store? That's a must. I'd like to visit the Natural History Museum. We went to those in DC and Chicago and had a great time.

Duh derp, forgot to mention Mexican. Yes, we both love Mexican, so those would be great. I won't do anymore drinking other than maybe a beer or two. He's a teetotaler.

Is it okay that I kinda just wanna stop at some food stand on the street and get a falafel or something? :p

A lot of good stuff so far, guys, thanks. I'm getting pretty excited now that I'm getting down to the planning. Also, does it really matter which airport we fly into? Looking at pricing and stuff right now and there doesn't seem to be much difference that way, so which one would be most convenient to fly into?

Chicken/lamb over rice is the new hot dog in NYC. So good too. It'll be 8ish bucks and there is usually a cart on every street.  The Halal Guys is the most famous though. They're a huge franchise now.

As for airports, I'm not sure tbh. I don't know how La Guardia or JFK are on public transportation, but driving to either is a freakin' nightmare. I'm a Jersey boy, so I prefer Newark, but it's often the most expensive option.

And gahhh, as much as I'd love to see Hamilton(assuming I could even get tickets, is that show still selling out way in advance?), those ticket prices seem nuts, at least when I'm comparing them to other shows. I'm not a huge musical fan, but if the source material is something I'm into, then I'm all for it.

Maybe I should just try out To Kill a Mockingbird instead...

I went NYC on a high school trip almost 20 years ago. We went end of April/beginning of May and had a blast. It was an art trip so we did The MET, museum of modern art and a few other (no Guggenheim) We did Liberty Island and that was nice but never went up the statue because we had an hour or 2 on the island and the stations setup for the lineup was marked at 3hour wait. We did the Empire State Building and fuck do the elevators shoot you up there fast (developed vertigo because of them) We did Smokey Joe’s Cafe as our musical but there are so many newer and better shows out there. Look for possibly Dear Evan Hanson, Avenue Q (sure a little older but still good), Book or Mormon or Come From Away. Seen a few on stage in Toronto and own the others digitally. Pizza is everywhere but my favourite place was somewhere in Soho area. Nice red brick exterior (might of been called The Brick Oven) but tons of variety and good ‘za. 

we had to stay in some hotel in New Jersey because it was cheaper. It was a nice set of rooms but location was interesting. First day there we say a hooker squatting in the parking lot corner taking a piss at 2am in the morning. We were excited and girls kept getting into our room starting ice bucket fights. So enjoy New York 

I’d second @skillzdadirecta in saying check out The Bronx Zoo. It’s one of the better zoos in the country. Museum of Natural History is always great as well. Ellis Island is fascinating but I’d say skip going to Liberty island. Just take the Staten Island Ferry and you’ll get as close as you need to see the Statue of Liberty. 

Unless there’s zero line(there won’t be in July) id say skip The Empire State Building as well. It’ll eat up a giant portion of your day just waiting on line. Instead go to Rockafellar Center and go up to the Top of the Rock in 30 Rockefeller. It’s not quite as high but the view is better imo since it’s closer to Central Park. You can also take the tour of 30 rock while you’re there. Kinda cool to see the SNL studio.  

In the same area you can check out FAO Schwarz which is pretty fun to walk around. 

I believe most of the dress code etiquette is gone for Broadway. You can wear kinda whatever. I still wear a jacket and tie if I’m going to an evening performance just cause it’s fun to dress up and there aren’t many places to do it anymore. Matinee is whatever. 

have fun!

Everyone already gave great suggestions but I'll second Highline Park for someone new to Manhattan. I did it for the first time (somehow) maybe two years ago showing some German relatives the city and even I thought it was really cool. Some of the views are truly great and reminded me how romantic of a place my city can be when I'm not pissed off about some subway drama or traffic debacle. 

I've been to Broadway in a leather jacket, black jeans and sneakers. Unless it's some mega fancy shit, nobody cares as far as I know. 

I'd also recommend maybe just taking a bit of time going to the Village area and just stroll around. SoHo is right there, what's left of Little Italy is worth seeing etc., it's just a cool place to stroll in NYC in my opinion. 

Museum-wise, I love The Met Cloisters but that depends how much you're into medieval stuff essentially. Also, it's WAY up there location-wise. 

If you want when your trip draws nearer or whatever, you can always shoot me a PM with any questions. 

11 hours ago, Jason said:

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Seems pretty widespread so far where I'm at in midtown but you're probably right. I haven't been to the boroughs this trip yet.

It hasn't even registered on me yet...I keep buying a damn Metrocard anyway forgetting that something's changed.

I'll second what Pikachu said and say don't miss the Nintendo World Store. The Ripley's Believe it or Not museum in Time's Square is really cool.  Also I wouldn't send everyone there, but you specifically need to go check out VGNY (VideoGamesNewYork) while you're there.  It's a retro-gamer nerdgasm; best retro vg shop you'll ever see.

17 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

One thing I'd like to do is see a show on Broadway. What's the proper attire, without having to be super fancy?

# Depends on the show, really.  If you're going to see like Book of Mormon or something "less serious" you'll be fine in jeans and a t-shirt.  Most shows you're good with like, business casual/work clothes. Goes up from there, but business casual will be fine for most shows.  You dress upward to coincide with the "fanciness" of the show you're seeing.

Plan on mostly sticking to the subway, as that's what we've done in other big cities and I don't want to constantly be shelling out money for taxis and Ubers. Is that fine?

# It's fine, but walk as much as possible.  Hit the trains if it's a big distance, but walk where you can.

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thanks. I guess I haven't been super adventurous with my foods, but I want to try out some new stuff on this trip. Love the typical American foods, typical Italian, any seafood, stuff like that. I'm sure we'll eat some stuff like that, but I'd like to try some new things while I'm there. Like, I've never eaten Thai or Vietnamese. Not really tried much Mediterranean or Middle Eastern or Indian foods.

For Italian, instead of trying your luck on trying to find a good place (there's plenty of good Italian in NYC but it's also easy to find yourself in a place serving gloppy shit if you don't know where to go), go to Eataly--try to avoid peak lunch/dinner times though.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never been there but be sure to check out the Home Depot there. My friend worked there and said Jessica Alba came into the store!

One of my good friends is actually named Jessica Alba and used to constantly get banned from Facebook for impersonating a celebrity. She has to use her middle name. It was probably her and your friend's a bullshit artist. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jose said:

As for airports, I'm not sure tbh. I don't know how La Guardia or JFK are on public transportation, but driving to either is a freakin' nightmare. I'm a Jersey boy, so I prefer Newark, but it's often the most expensive option.

@CastlevaniaNut18 I'd do JFK. You take the Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica Station and then it's one stop on the LIRR to Penn Station; you could also save a few bucks and take the subway but that's a MUCH longer ride, IIRC something like 20 minutes vs over an hour. You can buy a combined Airtrain/LIRR ticket (which is also a reloadable Metrocard, IIRC for once you're in Manhattan, IIRC). EWR has NJT to Penn Station but LIRR from Jamaica is more frequent, at EWR you could potentially be waiting 20-30 minutes for a train (FWIW I've never waited for more than a few minutes at EWR, but after seeing the train schedule I think I've always just been lucky with my timing).

Absolutely don't do LGA, the only public transit option is a bus that has to slog through the same shitshow traffic as everyone else, which is especially terrible at LGA right now due to construction.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

@CastlevaniaNut18 I'd do JFK. You take the Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica Station and then it's one stop on the LIRR to Penn Station; you could also save a few bucks and take the subway but that's a MUCH longer ride, IIRC something like 20 minutes vs over an hour. You can buy a combined Airtrain/LIRR ticket (which is also a reloadable Metrocard, IIRC for once you're in Manhattan, IIRC). EWR has NJT to Penn Station but LIRR from Jamaica is more frequent, at EWR you could potentially be waiting 20-30 minutes for a train (FWIW I've never waited for more than a few minutes at EWR, but after seeing the train schedule I think I've always just been lucky with my timing).

Absolutely don't do LGA, the only public transit option is a bus that has to slog through the same shitshow traffic as everyone else, which is especially terrible at LGA right now due to construction.

I was at LGA yesterday and it's absolute fuckshow with cancelled bus lines etc. due to construction like you said.

In general, I second everything you said. I used to live off the train line coming from JFK/Jamaica and see poor tourists with fifty suitcases look like they wanted to shoot themselves because they realized that thing can take up to nearly an hour and a half to get to Manhattan and/or get stuck somewhere in Forest Hills. TAKE THE AIRTRAIN AND LIRR AT ALL COSTS, it's actually fairly easy. 

@CastlevaniaNut18 If you DO end up flying into Newark, DO NOT TAKE ANY JERSEY CABS. They are ripoffs. You'd be better off taking an Uber or taking the Path train. It's easier to take the Path or New Jersey Transit train into Manhattan than before and I'd argue that it's just as easy as taking the train from JFK. Shit they are just about the same distance from Manhattan so it's really dependent on where you're staying in the city.