~*D1P's Games of 2020*~

Commissar SFLUFAN

Ghost of Tsushima - 

Lovely game. Sucker Punch blew me away with Infamous: Second Son's graphics, but phew, was this something special. Makes me think back to the beginning of the gen when a few users swore up and down that there wouldn't be big improvements. 

The game as a whole shows a ton of maturing from Sucker Punch. inFAMOUS 2 was a very fun game, but I do think having the main character giggle at the term "penal code" isn't something endearing; it's just aa dumb line. Kudos to the developer for Ghost of Tsushima.

2020 Games

Death Stranding

Overcooked

Resident Evil 3 Remake

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Resident Evil 3 Remake (Hardcore playthrough)

Overcooked 2

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The Last of Us Part II

Ghost of Tsushima

• 3 weeks later...

100%'d Supraland, and glad I did.  So many good things about this game, shame that I've read the DLC isn't as good.  I'll copy what I said in the backlaugust thread.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:29 PM, crispy4000 said:

header.jpg?t=1596381666

CubeGif.gif?t=1556459910

I don't think I've seen anyone on this board talk about Supraland yet.

This game scratches that new Metroid Prime itch I've had for years now, but does it in a way that is totally own thing.  It'd be an A-class first person puzzle game even if it wasn't a semi-open world.  But unlike the Witness, it doesn't ever make itself feel obtuse.  Secrets are hidden everywhere and rewards are constant. I have over 30 unfound chests of about 200 after I saw the credits roll.  It's just very clever, not unfair.

It's also got a bit of a BoTW-vibe since you can finagle your way almost anywhere.  I don't want to spoil what that is about, but there's way more freedom than you'd expect.  Even if you don't have your full toolkit.

Only flaws are that combat isn't all that great, or important.  Also, I twice managed to run into an invisible wall where the game told me I'd lock myself in an unsolvable zone with my current powers.  Couldn't they have built the walls higher or something?  Since it's a very small team (mainly 1 guy at the helm), there are also some budget constraints.  Don't expect grandiose boss fights.

Overall, a 9.5/10 game.  20+ hours of discovery and fantastic puzzles.  One of my favorite game worlds ever.  I'll be 100%-ing, just to know what the hell I missed.

Go play the demo.  Hopefully the game comes to consoles soon.

Persona 5 Royal - 173ish hours later... and a platinum trophy. And already an email that I get avatars and themes for getting a plat. @legend

It happened again. At the end, I was so sad to leave this world. For those who have at least beat the original, 

Spoiler

you get to say your goodbyes to everyone you worked with and everyone you met. And if you maxed your relationship, you get a true, long-form goodbye. Well, I started this game before TLOU Part 2 and I put it on hold for that game and Ghost of Tsushima, plus other games with the lady. The game takes place in a year, and it took me a few months, so it was bittersweet to say my goodbyes to them and know I was leaving the world again.

It's a game that's not cynical; it feels pure, that you can make a difference and change people for the better. And Morgana is my ultimate bro.

2020 Games

Death Stranding

Overcooked

Resident Evil 3 Remake

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Overcooked 2

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The Last of Us Part II

Ghost of Tsushima

Persona 5 Royal

54 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Persona 5 Royal - 173ish hours later... and a platinum trophy. And already an email that I get avatars and themes for getting a plat. @legend

It happened again. At the end, I was so sad to leave this world. For those who have at least beat the original, 

Reveal hidden contents

It's a game that's not cynical; it feels pure, that you can make a difference and change people for the better. And Morgana is my ultimate bro.

2020 Games

Death Stranding

Overcooked

Resident Evil 3 Remake

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Overcooked 2

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The Last of Us Part II

Ghost of Tsushima

Persona 5 Royal

What I find amazingly timely about it is

Spoiler

The main boss (prior to the extra third semester content) is an enemy whom the public at large wants to win, and the characters have to struggle with continuing the fight despite that. 

Undertale

Positives:  Fantastic, innovative combat system where every encounter is unique.  Great soundtrack and audio design that is 'enhanced' retro.  Humor correlates with the (best) Paper Mario games, but amps it up.  Crazy and unexpected ending sequence(s).  A fantastic entry point for anyone interested in JRPGs.  And a stupidly fun FF6 callback for those who in the know.

Negatives: Not all characters are equally well written.  The dino character in particular is cringey.  I never got so invested in the story backdrop or emotional sections, because they don't really show much character growth.  It's also a little on the short side, but then again, it's an RPG without the padding.

9/10.  Much better than Earthbound.

Stayed up too late, beat Ghost of Tsushima. 9/10

Definitely one of the better games of this gen. 

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)

Resident Evil 3 remake (PC)

Devil May Cry 4 (PC)

Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)

King of the Monsters 2 (Neo Geo MVS)

Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)

Metal Slug X (Neo Geo MVS)

Metal Slug 3 (Neo Geo MVS)

The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Never thought this would be a good couples game, but it is!

I'm playing through the collection slowly. I love this series: very funny, swerves and turns like a 50-car pileup, and Cases 4 and 5 are just lovely top to bottom. Also, the music you get catching someone in a contradiction makes you feel like the ultimate badass.

2020 Games

Death Stranding

Overcooked

Resident Evil 3 Remake

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Overcooked 2

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The Last of Us Part II

Ghost of Tsushima

Persona 5 Royal

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Beat Uncharted 3.  It's bombastic and consistently fun in the moment.  Exactly what I needed after coming off HoB and Hellblade.  Which are also good, but more somber.

I can see why people think Uncharted 2 is better, but its not by much.  The only real flaw with 3 is all the fist fighting, which builds off the bad in Uncharted 2.  Oh, and running from spiders so many times.  The part where you have to shoot them is sooo jank, it was kind of hilarious.  The rusty ship section was by far my favorite part of the game, and I normally dislike those type of environments, but they made it wrap up in an interesting way.  Music and writting is also better than Uncharted 2 on the whole, IMO, and there might be a greater variety of set pieces as well.

8/10 popcorn film.  Going to miss 60fps when I start Uncharted 4.

Portal.  Yep, I never played it.

The best part was escaping at the end, since it felt a bit more organic rather than designed to be solved.  Although there were still hidden messages to guide you along.  It's pretty easy on the whole, though some of the more interesting solutions take some patience with the game's physics.

Overall, I can see why it was lauded for its time, and it still holds up.  The core mechanic is still novel, especially carrying momentum through portals.  But its puzzles didn't surprise me in the way Supraland did earlier this year.  I would have liked more multi-layered, multi-room puzzles too.

Games of 2020:

The Witcher 3 (replay) - 120 hours. I had never played the DLC before, so of course I had to play the whole thing again.

Ys Seven - 21 hours. Lovely little action RPG. The combat is really fun to get into. It's like a cross between Secret of Mana and Dark Souls.

Dragon Quest XI - 65 hours. Delightful retro-style turn-based RPG. It does get a little old towards the end, though. I was definitely like "alright, it can be over now" for the last 15 or so hours.

Firewatch - 4 hours. It was... fine. I honestly don't see what the big deal was about it, but the story is depressingly fun.

Vampyr - 21 hours. The combat system is fun if unwieldy. The story has a lot of grey. Despite the game world being small, it desperately needs fast travel. I liked the game well enough, but not enough that I felt the need to do an "evil" playthrough.

ELEX - 27 hours. The story is pretty good. Combat sucks. The "good/evil" system in the game is kind of wonky. The game world is absolutely massive, and where the game really shines. Post-apocalyptic forests, mad max-style deserts, volcanic sci-fi hellscapes, frozen sci-fi hellscapes, it's all fun. Like Vampyr, I liked it well enough, but not enough to do a second playthrough.

Ys: Memories of Celceta - 24 hours. Again, a lovely little action RPG. Combat is awesome. Music is awesome. The story has basically every JRPG trope in the book, but it's whatever.

Ys VIII - 55 hours. Combat took a very different turn compared to the last Ys games. It's slower paced and more akin to something like Xenoblade than the others. The story is good for like the first 40 hours. It's the first Ys game to have most dialog fully voiced, and it shows. It's... terrible. Music is phenomenal.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (replay) - 112 hours. Like, The Witcher, I had never played the DLC, so of course I had to play through the whole thing again. I love the game. Fate of Atlantis is really good, Legacy of the First Blade is... alright. I played Legacy first, though, and parts of the Atlantis story really don't make a whole lot of sense if you have already played Legacy.

27 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Dragon Quest XI - 65 hours. Delightful retro-style turn-based RPG. It does get a little old towards the end, though. I was definitely like "alright, it can be over now" for the last 15 or so hours.

DQ games are notoriously long, even more than you'd think.  I'm saying that because, going by your hour count, there's still another 1/3rd of the game left that slipped under your nose. ;)

You can stop right where you did if you're happy.  But if you ever feel like revisiting it, the plot continues.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

DQ games are notoriously long, even more than you'd think.  I'm saying that because, going by your hour count, there's still another 1/3rd of the game left that slipped under your nose. ;)

You can stop right where you did if you're happy.  But if you ever feel like revisiting it, the plot continues.

I did the whole "second ending" thing with the big sky amoeba monster if that's what you're talking about, I just basically stopped doing sidequests at a certain point in the game. I also used a cheat to speed up my exp to 1.5x so I didn't have to grind.

14 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I did the whole "second ending" thing with the big sky amoeba monster if that's what you're talking about, I just basically stopped doing sidequests at a certain point in the game. I also used a cheat to speed up my exp to 1.5x so I didn't have to grind.

Makes sense.  That’s a fast time all considered.