~*D1P's Games of 2020*~

Commissar SFLUFAN

New year, new list so let's get this thing started!

Just as always, it's not necessary for the game to actually be released in 2020 to be discussed in this thread!

Now that I've gotten my physical fitness level/health back to where I want them to be, I fully intend for 2020 to be a more...uhhhhh..."productive" year for gaming completion than 2019.  First up, I'm gonna finish Quantum Break!

I just got a new game to play from a certain someone. I still need to beat Fallout 4. I got to the institute and lost all desire to play after butting 3 days of time into the game. At this point, I'll just be rushing towards the ending which isn't what I wanted to do. I also want to do all the SWTOR stories this year along with a replay of the witcher series. I want Cyberpunk, but I have become very unoptimistic towards the game as time has went on. All the new things they have shown since the reveal trailer have brought down my hype level. I mean, I have no real hype at the moment, but it might pick up near its release. 

Games I can't wait to enjoy in 2020:

• The Last of Us 2 (finally get to dust off my PS4 that I haven't used since Uncharted 4 released)
  • Ghosts of Tsushima (please don't be anything like Sekiro but actually good!)
  • Ori & the Will of the Wisps
  • Halo Infinite (please finally coalesce 343 and make BOTH the campaign & MP amaze-balls!)
  • Streets of Rage 4 (been seemingly waiting 4-ever to play this!)

Cyberpunk 2077 is a wait & see for me, but it's on my radar.

As for titles I'm anticipating will be released some time this year that haven't officially been announced:

• Forza Motorsport 8 (or maybe Infinity!?)
  • Sniper Elite 5
  • New Arkham Batman title
  • Any new content of Destiny

It’ll be a backlog heavy year for me.  Some of the heavier hitters:

- GoW (finish)

- Hollow Knight

- DK: TF

- Xenoblade Torna

- Death Stranding

- Spider-Man

- Last of Us Remastered

- Doom

- Horizon 

Probably a bunch of indies in between.  I’ve been wanting to give World to the West a try.  I’ll want to carve out some time for Guacamelee 2 as well.

I should have more time to play this year than in the past as well!

This year I’m going to commit to finishing more games. It shouldn’t be hard, because I can barely think of any games I finished in the last couple years. I’ve left games like Gears of War 5 and The Outer Worlds pretty close to the end, and I’m not sure why I stopped. I enjoyed them.

Journey to the Savage Planet

The Last of Us: Part II

Final Fantasy 7 Remake  part 1 of 7...0000

Doom Eternal 

Nioh 2

Cyberpunk2077

Genshin:Impact

Dolmen

Atomic Heart

Minecraft: Dungeons

Outriders 

Death Stranding

Gods & Monsters

Halo Infinite 

Vampire the Masquerade 2

Baldur’s Gate III

Witchfire

Ghost of Tsushima

Dungeonhaven

Disintegration

Those who remain

Bio Mutant

Encased

Hellpoint 

Alaloth

Control gets to be my first completion of 2020. The only game I've actually finished from Remedy.

I'd give it a solid 7.5, maybe a light 8.

Gameplay is solid, good atmosphere, some jaw dropping visuals, though I found that I really wasn't invested in the story all that much. I thought there would be more development into it and then I'm just at the end of the game. I suppose there is a lot of information that I could have read through the many, many pages you find along the way, but just like Destiny I have no interest to sit there and read forever.

Finished Outer Worlds... 6 out of 10. I don't know what the reviewers saw in this game it's just... meh all around the board. It's not bad, it's just not very good at anything it does. Normally I would love to replay games like this to make different choices and try different playstyles. Nothing in this game makes me want to revisit it anytime soon.

Finished Blood and Truth on PSVR- 8 out of 10. Game does a great job pf making you feel like you're in an action packed Guy Ritchie movie with great set pieces and gunplay. A well produced story and great performances top it off and the cliff hanger ending has me looking forward to the next installment. I had a great time with this game and with the Sony headset.

Control

Metro Exodus

Undecided about how I feel about Metro Exodus. Its a fine game, satisfying end. I miss the dark tunnels of the metro. I hate the fact that the mutants have become nothing more than cannon fodder when you go explore the map and have no relevance to the story anymore. It lost its supernatural/sci-fi aspects almost entirely. 

Most of that is due to where Last Light was headed and where 2035 left off. So its hard to be too harsh on them for it, but for a good chunk of the game I just wanted to stop and go replay 2033 or Last Light. The ending chapter of the game is so reminiscent of the older metro games, it made it all the more satisfying to finish the game.  

I played most of Jedi: Fallen Order, got stuck at the boss on the circular platform.

The Outer Worlds, good enough to satisfy the lack of new games from Bethesda.

I replayed Golden Sun on my PS Vita, hadn't played it in over 15 years, holds up really well!

Also played through...

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo hasn’t shown their hand yet and idk what games are going to launch with next gen so Animal Crossing and Ghosts/Last of us/Cyberpunk(but will wait until ps5 for those most likely). Tons of stuff in my backlog and waiting for Control to hit gamepass because you know it’s gonna happen. 

Death Stranding: Essential

It's fucking long. If you like to replay games, you won't want to for a while. But that's because 116 hours is more than enough to last you a while.

qcjRxQG.png

7og0tBW.png

No regrets. I really loved the experience, but now I'm going for Devil May Cry 5 as a palette cleanser for something more linear and less ambitious (not a slight to a fun linear action game). No way am I following this up with another long game right off the bat. :p 

But there's something to be said for a game that really makes you feel like you've connected a world. I had roads and ziplines connecting places from Chapter 3 to place in Chapter 8, and it amazed me how quickly I was able to make deliveries after needing ladders/climbing tools to trek everything. Things become easier because the tech becomes better.

And I didn't even use all the tech. Those portable carriers or whatever they're called? Never used them, but I saw a vid and I wish I did lol. 

2020 Games

Death Stranding

Control

Metro Exodus

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Despite being a pretty run of the mill FPS campaign, Battlefront 2's campaign is a lot better than I was anticipating. Highly recommend it despite it being a 4-6 hour experience, probably longer if you play the DLC.

Finished Uncharted 4 today finally. I started it over because I didnt get very far when I first bought it. I don't know what it is about these Uncharted games... they just don't click with me like they seem to everyone else and by chapter 18, I was ready for the game to be over. I like the story and characters but the gameplay just runs me the wrong way and I feel like a lot of the complaints I've seen others have for Red Dead Redemption 2, apply here for me. I also feel like Tomb Raider has surpassed this series in a lot of ways. 7 out of 10 for me. 

Next up Dead Rising 4.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finished Uncharted 4 today finally. I started it over because I didnt get very far when I first bought it. I don't know what it is about these Uncharted games... they just don't click with me like they seem to everyone else and by chapter 18, I was ready for the game to be over. I like the story and characters but the gameplay just runs me the wrong way and I feel like a lot of the complaints I've seen others have for Red Dead Redemption 2, apply here for me. I also feel like Tomb Raider has surpassed this series in a lot of ways. 7 out of 10 for me. 

Next up Dead Rising 4.

I just finished it too and moved on to RE2 (never played before, sooo sweet).  I agree wholeheartedly.  Was begging it to be over.  I find the platforming is brainless but its the part I like most of the game.  I also get lost in these games far too often but in a frustrating sense.  I think because sometimes Nate can jump 2 feet and sometimes 50 feet.  As soon as I get to shooting Im bored.  Near the end I finally turned on the auto aim just to be done with it.  I did however really like the story and that is their bread and butter.  Ending was great.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Beat Hollow Knight, fantastic game, lives up to the hype.

Beat Journey.  It’s okay, but overhyped.  Abzu is better actually.

I have to read more about Hollow Knight. Many indie side-scrolling or Metroidvania type games get hyped, and I find them enjoyable but not that amazing. Dead Cells was one that I invested a ton of time in and would probably even play AGAIN despite putting in 80 - 90 hours or whatever the hell I put in to get the true ending.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I have to read more about Hollow Knight. Many indie side-scrolling or Metroidvania type games get hyped, and I find them enjoyable but not that amazing. Dead Cells was one that I invested a ton of time in and would probably even play AGAIN despite putting in 80 - 90 hours or whatever the hell I put in to get the true ending.

Which ones have you played?  Dead Cells is one of the popular ones I haven’t.

Hollow Knight is the game that comes closest to Super Metroid vibes, other than ... Metroid Prime.  If you like those games for the feeling of exploring and getting lost in moody biomes, you’ll enjoy it.