Australia is very hot and is on fire

9 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

So I guess they arrested some people for setting fires, and I’m already seeing the “see, it’s not climate change” posts...

Well, to be fair, when you intentionally set several fires it's actually way worse than a natural fire. So yeah. It wasn't climate change if it was a bunch of arsonists.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/24-australians-arrested-deliberately-setting-fires-season/story?id=68108272

34 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Well, to be fair, when you intentionally set several fires it's actually way worse than a natural fire. So yeah. It wasn't climate change if it was a bunch of arsonists.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/24-australians-arrested-deliberately-setting-fires-season/story?id=68108272

I think it is maybe more accurate to say it wasn’t *just* climate change. The conditions, which certainly can be linked to climate change, are prime for big and fast moving blazes that are difficult to contain, even if the start of the fires is arson.

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

Were the initial fires started by these arsonists, or were the fires already burning, and some dumb asses started more? 

From articles I’ve read, these arson related cases go back to October and continued through the end of the year while the overall fire season began in September. 

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it is maybe more accurate to say it wasn’t *just* climate change. The conditions, which certainly can be linked to climate change, are prime for big and fast moving blazes that are difficult to contain, even if the start of the fires is arson.

I agree. That's what I meant to communicate. The intensity is certainly due to drier conditions that are caused by climate change. The fault for the fire should go to the people that started them intentionally, though. Not climate change. Unless an arsonist has that as his legal name. Which would be kind of cool.

It can be both things at the same time, but that is very difficult to explain to someone who doesn't want to believe climate change is real. Climate change won't start fires any more than it will start floods. It does, however, create the conditions for these things to be stronger or weaker. Areas can become hotter and drier (like Australia) so fires that start (for any reason) cannot be stopped. Likewise, in other areas it can create wetter climates, so there will be more flooding when rain happens.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It can be both things at the same time, but that is very difficult to explain to someone who doesn't want to believe climate change is real. Climate change won't start fires any more than it will start floods. It does, however, create the conditions for these things to be stronger or weaker. Areas can become hotter and drier (like Australia) so fires that start (for any reason) cannot be stopped. Likewise, in other areas it can create wetter climates, so there will be more flooding when rain happens.

But snow means climate change is bullshit