Think we'll ever see Super Mario Sunshine again in some form or another?

Derek

As soon as we see another Waverace or 1080 or FZero.

Nintendo would likely remaster the Galaxy games before Sunshine. I'm actually not sure why the GCN didn't get more if its games remastered considering it meet a similar date to the Wii U. I would totally buy a remaster of any of those Nintendo-published racing games. It's just a shame that Nintendo didn't seem to care about any of its racing franchises outside of Mario Kart.

4 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

.... as bad as the Sunshine wait is.. im worse waiting for an F-Zero X remaster, a new Advance Wars, or a new Excitibike done in the way of excitibike 64..(excitruck is not enough)

Unfortunately, Advanced Wars never got it Fire Emblem: Awakening moment. After that, add Excitebike to the long list of racing franchises Nintendo doesn't care about.

18 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I thought it was good for the most part.  They just did a few dumb things with it in parts (some of static views in the hotel).  And whatever was up with the water wall in the amusement park.

Most of the jumping puzzles pulled the camera into some weird position where you’d wind up falling off as you couldn’t tell the depth of what you were on (just the width). Virtually every review complains about the camera. It wasn’t good for the time.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Most of the jumping puzzles pulled the camera into some weird position where you’d wind up falling off as you couldn’t tell the depth of what you were on (just the width). Virtually every review complains about the camera. It wasn’t good for the time.

Didn’t really have a problem with that.  Aside from a few tight spaces and the water wall, it was easily controllable with the c-stick.  I don’t expect a game like Subshine to automate everything for me with the camera. Maybe some reviewers did?  Maybe the problem was how the camera worked with the power-ups?  I could understand that argument, though I never had camera issues in the FLUDD-less challenge zones.

I had also just come of Sonic Adventure 2.  Now THAT was bad camera for the time.  The late stages there were especially horrific for judging jumps and the camera control itself is wonky.

Again, watch Steal My Sunshine to see the bad camera in action :p 

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Didn’t really have a problem with that.  Aside from a few tight spaces and the water wall, it was easily controllable with the c-stick.  I don’t expect a game like Subshine to automate everything for me with the camera. Maybe some reviewers did?  Maybe the problem was how the camera worked with the power-ups?  I could understand that argument, though I never had camera issues in the FLUDD-less challenge zones.

I had also just come of Sonic Adventure 2.  Now THAT was bad camera for the time.  The late stages there were especially horrific for judging jumps and the camera control itself is wonky.

There’s many instances where the camera pulls out to simulate a side-scroller-esq view and your ability to manipulate the camera via the C-Stick is limited in those instances. I’m assuming it’s been awhile since you played the game and have blocked out those memories (and I cannot blame you for doing so :p )

There’s many instances where the camera pulls out to simulate a side-scroller-esq view and your ability to manipulate the camera via the C-Stick is limited in those instances. I’m assuming it’s been awhile since you played the game and have blocked out those memories (and I cannot blame you for doing so :p )

I've 100% completed the game at least 3 times, and dabbled in it again this past summer.  Pretty sure I know the game better than you.  Were you talking about the challenge zones, or something else?

There's even spots it could have pulled that, but explicitly didn't:

I remember the peg board challenge level and water wall part trying to force a 2d-ish view, but otherwise, I'm drawing blanks.  It's not a game that takes away your camera control often.

Maybe you're thinking of one of the Galaxy games?  They did that a lot more, including limiting your camera control in more open areas.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I've 100% completed the game at least 3 times, and dabbled in it again this past summer.  Pretty sure I know the game better than you.  Were you talking about the challenge zones, or something else?

There's even spots it could have pulled that, but explicitly didn't:

I remember the peg board challenge level and water wall part trying to force a 2d-ish view, but otherwise, I'm drawing blanks.  It's not a game that takes away your camera control often.

Maybe you're thinking of one of the Galaxy games?  They did that a lot more, including limiting your camera control in more open areas.

I just replayed the game on Dolphin in July. 

https://games.avclub.com/15-years-later-super-mario-sunshine-is-messier-and-mor-1798264186/amp
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/930752-nintendo-wii/63497141

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/533287-super-mario-sunshine/63617238

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/soapbox_playing_super_mario_sunshine_today_painfully_illustrates_nintendos_3d_evolution

https://amp.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/6rvvka/after_15_years_i_finally_played_super_mario/

https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1823/t1520828-bad-camera-angles/

All from the first page of a google search for “super mario sunshine camera”. You either ignore the camera issues or have a special version, bud :p 

I’m not arguing that some people didn’t have issues with the camera.  I think the concerns are overblown, yes, not that they don’t exist or are completely unjustified.

But bad for the reasons you think?  I’ll say it again - show me all these supposed 2D sections with bad camera.  I think you don’t remember the game right.

Bad camera tilt on jumps?  Only if you try to play it not touching the C-stick at all...

Lol

It’s a game where you need to use the stick for camera control, at a time when a camera stick wasn’t a such a normative thing in 3D platformers.  Some parts of the game do handle it poorly, as I’ve mentioned (particularly the amusement park), but 95% of the game is fine so long as you consider the c-stick mandatory.

I also think you can’t invert the Y-axis controls from their default.  I might be one of the lucky ones who didn’t notice.