Video surfaces of Rick & Morty's Dan Harmon simulating sex with a plastic baby doll

Wild

I'm someone that will defend dark humour, and say that if a comedian is talented enough, and funny enough, they can make a good joke out of any subject matter, like rape or murder, as long as it's handled well; it's all about the execution. This wasn't handled well; the "joke" here was basically, "Hey look at me raping this baby! Isn't this funny?", and it wasn't funny at all. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/adult-swim-responds-to-dan-harmon-s-offensive-resurfaced-sketch-there-is-no-place-for-this-type-of-content-here/ar-AAAl70S?ocid=AMZN

Harmon deleted his Twitter account shortly after the sketch began to circulate, and he released the following apology:

In 2009, I made a ‘pilot’ which strove to parody the series Dexter and only succeeded in offending. I quickly realized the content was way too distasteful and took the video down immediately. Nobody should ever have to see what you saw and for that, I sincerely apologize.

Adult Swim, which airs Rick and Morty — and recently renewed the popular cartoon for 70 (!) additional episodes — has decided not to fire Harmon, though the network did issue a statement calling the sketch “offensive.”

“At Adult Swim, we seek out and encourage creative freedom and look to push the envelope in many ways, particularly around comedy,” the network said. “The offensive content of Dan’s 2009 video that recently surfaced demonstrates poor judgement and does not reflect the type of content we seek out. Dan recognized his mistake at the time and has apologized. He understands there is no place for this type of content here at Adult Swim.”

There’s also a difference between a company that’s content is on late at night and is meant for young adults/adults and to be kinda weird and out of the box. And one of the biggest companies in th world who is literally synonymous with family and children’s programming. The fact that their reactions were different makes sense.