Video surfaces of Rick & Morty's Dan Harmon simulating sex with a plastic baby doll

Wild

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

The show is one of the few things that bridges Trump's America and the rest of us. 

You really sound pathetic. I didn't know it was possible to hate a cartoon this much. Like holy shit. 

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

This is even more of a joke and much more tame than anything James Gunn said. People being mad at this is literally fake outrage. They’re not actually mad, they’re just pretending because they dislike her or they feel like they’re supposed to be mad. 

Given how many children are sexually abused, and thus the percentage of the adult population (both male and female) who were victims of sexual abuse as children, I’m pretty sure there are a lot of people who simply don’t find it at all an appropriate topic for comedy. Just because you don’t find something objectionable, doesn’t mean  other people don’t legitimately find it to be so.

It can simultaneously be true that people who don’t find it actually offensive and objectionable are using it as a weapon against somebody they dislike.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

How can you weaponize an offensive joke against a woman whose entire career is based on making offensive jokes?

Not all offensive jokes offend equally.

42 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

You guys should make a list of rules for comedians

What I’ve gotten from this week is that a joke involving child sexual abuse is not okay. Anything else... probably okay depending on how it’s worded. Comedians have been doing pretty well for years with all of the non-pedo topics. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Given how many children are sexually abused, and thus the percentage of the adult population (both male and female) who were victims of sexual abuse as children, I’m pretty sure there are a lot of people who simply don’t find it at all an appropriate topic for comedy. Just because you don’t find something objectionable, doesn’t mean  other people don’t legitimately find it to be so.

It can simultaneously be true that people who don’t find it actually offensive and objectionable are using it as a weapon against somebody they dislike.

I’m sure there are a lot of people that don’t find jokes about race appropriate but it happens in a ton of stand up specials and a bunch of “twitter comedians” do it. I think skillz has it right. If it’s actually funny people will let it slide even if it’s still offensive. If you get TOO offensive, it just won’t be funny. 

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

What I’ve gotten from this week is that a joke involving child sexual abuse is not okay. Anything else... probably okay depending on how it’s worded. Comedians have been doing pretty well for years with all of the non-pedo topics. 

But they could Make Comedy Great Again if all these heavy handed regulations weren't oppressing them.

11 minutes ago, johnny said:

Comedians have joked about literally EVERYTHING since comedy was invented. We randomly have decided to get offended in July 2018.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think this crossed the line from "joke" to something else the moment he mimed it out on film. To what exactly I don't know. But pretending like this is just a joke seems a bit naive. 

Ok that's fair. I meant more going after comedians for stand-up jokes.

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think this crosses the line from "joke" to something else the moment he mimed it out on film. To what exactly I don't know. But pretending like this is just a joke seems a bit naive. 

I agree. I’m not even talking about the OP lmao I’m just talking about jokes in general. 

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

I’m sure there are a lot of people that don’t find jokes about race appropriate but it happens in a ton of stand up specials and a bunch of “twitter comedians” do it. I think skillz has it right. If it’s actually funny people will let it slide even if it’s still offensive. If you get TOO offensive, it just won’t be funny. 

Jokes about race don’t necessarily include victimization of a third party. I would wager a comedian who was the victim of childhood sexual assault could make a joke at the expense of their abuser that wouldn’t receive condemnation. But joking about sexually abusing children or jokes that are explicitly racist tend to draw the ire of a lot of people.

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Jokes about race don’t necessarily include victimization of a third party. I would wager a comedian who was the victim of childhood sexual assault could make a joke at the expense of their abuser that wouldn’t receive condemnation. But joking about sexually abusing children or jokes that are explicitly racist tend to draw the ire of a lot of people.

If something is clearly racist and they’re using the joke to mask their racism... then yeah I agree. I think the biggest problem is that by posting something online nobody actually knows your intent. So you’re left sitting there thinking “is this real or is he joking”. It’s a lot easier to get a joke across when the person is physically present and talking to you. You can make a joke that victimizes a third party but that’s my opinion. If it’s funny, it’s funny. In person, I think it’s easier to get your joke across as a JOKE.  But on the internet people automatically give you side eye. A lot of topics will also appeal to the immature more. My sister-in-law coached a high school soccer team and they thought dead baby jokes were funny. There’s nothing funny about a dead baby but to them stupid jokes about a baby dying were funny. In stand up you can also tie things together, whereas on twitter your joke stands alone which definitely hurts. 

Joking about hitting your wife probably isnt going to be funny to somebody who has suffered from domestic violence. But the joke (99% of the time) isn’t for them. I think Bo Burnham’s ‘Sad’ sums comedy up pretty well. 

10 minutes ago, johnny said:

You can make a joke that victimizes a third party but that’s my opinion. 

You aren’t alone, but you’re still wrong :p

2 hours ago, johnny said:

This is even more of a joke and much more tame than anything James Gunn said. People being mad at this is literally fake outrage. They’re not actually mad, they’re just pretending because they dislike her or they feel like they’re supposed to be mad. 

There are also pictures of her in full minstrel show blackface.

if someone wanted to destroy here the material is there, hopefully we get to a breaking point where we stop destroying people over jokes soon.

2 minutes ago, misfit410 said:

There are also pictures of her in full minstrel show blackface.

if someone wanted to destroy here the material is there, hopefully we get to a breaking point where we stop destroying people over jokes soon.

Except people know all this stuff about her already so unless there's new stuff, she's probably fine. And again, blackface and pedophilia are two entirely different things.

4 hours ago, legend said:

I mean, I've heard/watched pedo jokes that were funny. This was unfunny and gross. Get that shit out of here and don't hide behind it being "next level" or whatever he called it.

Also, I love Rick and Morty and Community.

Well said, every little bit! 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So... what the fuck? Pedophilia is funny to some people?  I get that it's not real, but what's the fucking point? Why do these guys insist on doing shit like this?

Everything is funny in the right context. Hell, there are some good 9/11 jokes out there, including my favorite knock knock joke. I would never tell them directly to victims of 9/11, but if they sought them out and found them themselves, I would hope my life wouldn't be ruined. Humor is only humor because it pushes limits. 

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Everything is funny in the right context. Hell, there are some good 9/11 jokes out there, including my favorite knock knock joke. I would never tell them directly to victims of 9/11, but if they sought them out and found them themselves, I would hope my life wouldn't be ruined. Humor is only humor because it pushes limits. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10909160

Though played to make him look stupid there's a lot of truth in that line.