NFL Week 16 - Saturday Night is the New Thursday Night

Keyser_Soze

22 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

While getting a 10 game parlay right is hard, all 10 games are winnable by the teams that need to win. I’d worry more about next week with both Houston and Baltimore likely resting players as they would be locked into their seeding with wins this weekend.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Yup.  My concern -- will the Ravens and Texans field a competitive team in Week 17?

Texans at least can move up to the 3 seed with a win and a chiefs loss, so there is some incentive to play to win. Ravens are locked into the 1 seed though, right? I’m not sure a second string Ravens team isn’t better than whatever mess the Steelers roll out though 😂

In all my years of being a Raiders Fan, I have never seen such a Jekyll and Hyde team.

The Raiders looked pretty good earlier in the season -- winning 5 out of 7, with only 1 ugly loss.  They looked like a potential wild card team.  The offence was consistently putting points of the board, and eating the clock.  The defence was never good, but they were just-not-bad-enough to not cost them games (other than against the Packers).

After getting blown out by the Jets/Chiefs/Titans and giving up a combined 116 points (with two consecutive games surrendering over 40), and only scoring 33 points -- I figured the season was done.  The offence had collapsed, and the defence looked like it could be the worst in the history of the NFL -- there were very few drives that opposing offences had not scored a touchdown -- they gave up over 550 yards of offence to the Titans.  I can't stress how ugly these games were to watch.  Losing to the Jets 34-3  and Titans 42-21 were two of the worst performances I have ever seen on a football field.

To have them then come out and put up a performance like they did against the Chargers yesterday is baffling. Their best 2 players (Josh Jacobs and RT Trent Brown) were out -- and so was Richie Incognito -- so I assumed the offence was toast.  However, in the second half, their first two drives ate up almost 16 minutes of game clock, while scoring 10 points.  Can Hunter Renfrow coming back from injury really be that transformational for this team?

The defence was the most shocking to me -- they forced 5 consecutive punts to start the game -- beginning with 3 3-and-outs (combined 11 yards). For the entire game, the Chargers netted 19 yards on 16 attempts -- 1.2 yard average.  Those numbers are borderline elite against a top-ten offence (in yards) coming into this game.  (Tangent:  I know the Chargers aren't an elite offence, but they aren't a "bad" one either.)

I just don't get how the same group of players that looked epically bad against the Titans and Jets -- and look so credible against the  Chargers.  (Let's be clear, I am not calling the Raiders a great team for beating the Chargers.)

/end rant

Finally, I don't get the hatred in some areas of Raider nation against Derek Carr.  I get that some fans want a top-5 QB -- and Carr is never going to be a top-5 QB.  But, fuck he is a top-15 QB (arguably a top-10 QB) -- and if they think that is something that is easy to get, go talk to half the league.  Bills fans are raving about Josh Allen -- I hear it all the time in TO -- and IMHO, Allen is no where near as good a QB as Carr.  Carr may not be elite, but he is not the reason the Raiders have lost as many games this year.  If those fans want the Raiders to start winning games -- they need to upgrade their WRs, DBs and LBs -- not QB.

/end second rant

Frustrating how the refs botching the call on Carr being out-of-bounds against the Jaguars, may be the difference between the Raiders making the playoffs.

/end third rant

On 12/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, sblfilms said:

Bills really blew a game they had every opportunity to win.

I think that exact quote is written on a banner outside New ERA field.

I didn't watch the game.  I was at a Christmas festival with my wife and our daughter.  My wife gave me an out to watch the game, but no way was I going to miss this family time together.  If the Bills would have won (I believe it would have been their 4th win against Brady in 36 tries, one of which was at the end of the year when New England benched all the starters before the end of the first half) I still wold have been fine with missing it.

...silly priorities as you get older in life. 

9 hours ago, BuckFly said:

I think that exact quote is written on a banner outside New ERA field.

I didn't watch the game.  I was at a Christmas festival with my wife and our daughter.  My wife gave me an out to watch the game, but no way was I going to miss this family time together.  If the Bills would have won (I believe it would have been their 4th win against Brady in 36 tries, one of which was at the end of the year when New England benched all the starters before the end of the first half) I still wold have been fine with missing it.

...silly priorities as you get older in life. 

So you were busy body slamming your kids through tables?

• Haha 1

The NFL Hot Seat: Cowboys can not pay free-agent-to-be WR Amari Cooper

This past offseason, it was reported Amari Cooper’s contract demands were “shockingly high,” even though the Dallas Cowboys were figuring on a minimum of $16 million per season. Cooper was also in “no rush” to sign, waiting for stars like Julio Jones, Michael Thomas and Tyreek Hill to set the market.

Keep that in mind as we talk about what happened with Cooper on Sunday, and during the Cowboys’ shocking collapse this season.

The Cowboys faced a fourth-and-8 with 1:21 left at Philadelphia, trailing 17-9. The NFC East was likely on the line. And Cooper was not on the field.

Cooper has always been inconsistent, and that’s why the Raiders were willing to trade him. He’ll disappear for weeks at a time. On Sunday, in the Cowboys’ biggest game of the year, he had four catches for 24 yards on 12 targets against an Eagles secondary that is terrible covering wide receivers.

Over the Cowboys’ last six games, when they went 2-4 and probably blew the division, Cooper had 22 catches for 249 yards and one touchdown. Cooper also has the ability to explode for huge games, but you never know when they’re coming. Do you want to pay Jones/Thomas/Odell Beckham Jr. money for that?

Someone will pay Cooper big money this offseason -- I wonder if the Cowboys will pony up after giving up the first rounder last year.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So you were busy body slamming your kids through tables?

For the children we do balsa wood tables painted white.  We are not savages.

...this is also when we are not raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for other teams' charities out of gratitude...it's the way we roll.