Do you get satisfaction from your job, or just the money you're paid for doing it?

gamer.tv

I'm hoping to successfully apply to be a teacher this October.  It's hard as although I hold a degree (the minimum standard to apply) it's 'Ordinary' which does not exactly say much about me academically (typically, on completion of sufficient credits in the UK, your scores are totaled and an overall grade is then given - 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd and then at the bottom of the barrel 'Ordinary').  

But I feel it's a career path that I can get genuine enjoyment out of and more importantly, with experience would have the skillset to be in private education (namely where the money is). 

It's the only thing I've wanted as a working adult, to feel proud of my job.  So far I've been in full time work for 4 years and have never really felt satisfied with what I was doing.  It made enough to live in a house, buy things etc, but it wasn't something that made me happy.  It's why I left a management role (where I would suggest I'd develop, jump up two tiers and then move on within the next 3 years or so) to get experience working in a school.

But how about you, are you happy not loving your job for the paycheck, or do you prefer to potentially be paid less, for feeling like you are doing more?

For me it's 60% money 40% the satisfaction of what I accomplish. I just approached month 4 with my new employer and already was talked to about getting promoted. I work hard and I get satisfaction when employees I coach and develop move forward. But at the end of the day what keeps me engaged is having a job and a paycheck. 

I do not get satisfaction, but I enjoy my job. I wouldn't pick it over a game/movie/vacation if money was no issue, but I do not dread going to work,  or hate being at work. 

If I won a $200 million lottery today I would still work for a bit at least. My last job I would have immediately quit. I hated that place. 

Teaching is what I wanted to do when I got out of high school. I always admired teachers who went above and beyond in school because they were the only reasons I got through school and it meant a lot to me. I wanted to be able to do that for someone else. Unfortunately Jr High/High School teachers don't really make that much money or at the time when I was researching it.

I ended up scrapping the idea and thought about becoming a police officer, same reasoning behind it. I went on a few ride alongs with local police and got to see everyday life for them. I got to hear the conversations that they had with people they pulled over and even got to watch an undercover team take down a thief who stole someone iPhone (set up to buy, make sure its the right phone, arrest individual). I felt cops were misunderstood a lot of the time and just wanted to do their job, I wanted to be someone who could communicate with the community and help grow it. Problem around is that the only place that will hire you is also the crummiest place to work. Not that its equivalent to like Compton or Detroit, but pays low, more dangerous work than other places around, just wasn't worth it to me

In the end, I am going to school for a career that I don't really find fulfilling or purposeful, but I'm somewhat proficient at it and it'll pay the bills and enable me to live how I would like to live.

I get to watch Netflix at work so most of the time the job is ok.I definitely don't have any satisfaction with my job. The paychecks pay the rent and sometimes I have enough for food and a couple games. Living paycheck to paycheck does blow and I have no savings or any retirement saved up. I will have to work until I die. 

• Confused 1

Over 16 years in my industry/job and I have to say its pretty satisfying. It can be stressful but I have a lot of perks that make it all worthwhile (other than the money)....and I say this as I type from my laptop, sitting in my PJs because I decided  at 6:30am I didn't feel like going into my office today. :D

I like my job and get satisfaction from the results of my work.  The day-to-day gets kind of tedious and dealing with organizational politics gets old, but at the end of the day I like what I do.  The money is certainly nice; I wouldn't work for free or anything.  But ultimately I'm content.

2 hours ago, Engel said:

I enjoy my job.  The are bad days but overall it's an enjoyable job.  If I win the lotto I wouldn't quit working I'd scale up hire more people to do the parts I don't like and focus on the rest of the job.

If you won this weeks Power Ball you’d be on a boat sipping a nice tropical drink. Don’t lie. :lol:

I enjoy my job. If I wanted to be paid more, I would be working for a different company. There's a bit of a caveat to that in that because I'm working at a startup, if we take off my stock might end up worth something. But that possibility wasn't why I chose to work at this startup. I chose to work there to have a better opportunity in defining something new in the world. I don't think I could really be doing that in a big company in which I would be one of many with any number of managers over my head.

There's also a balance to this. If my job paid quite a bit less than it does, then I would go somewhere else, because while I prefer where I am to other higher paying jobs, it's not like there are no higher paying jobs at which I'd be happy. Furthermore, I am currently considering how much of a raise I want to ask for, so clearly the money matters a little to me :p 

42 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If you won this weeks Power Ball you’d be on a boat sipping a nice tropical drink. Don’t lie. :lol:

If I won the power ball, I'd still be doing what I am, but maybe living in a nicer place with nicer things. Depending on how things went, I suppose I might use the money to start my own company thereby making sure I was doing what I wanted, but there is also a lot of crap I wouldn't want to deal with when fully running the company, so things at my current job would have to go sideways quite a bit for me to make that leap!