Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (21 May 2024) - Information Thread, update: "Developer_Direct 2024" trailer

Pikachu

Yeah even if it is a tech demo, that facial animation is fucking amazing. I imagine it will get paired down a bit by the time we see the actual game, but considering how good Senua looked even on the PS4/Xbox One, it's not hard to believe they'll pull it off.

Also, props to the actress that is doing the mo-cap for her, wasn't she just one of their artists? Looks like she's really getting into it!

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

I know this is just a teaser trailer and could be a lot of BS "in engine" but I want to believe, looks incredible.

The first game had some very interesting elements and top tier sound design but some weird gameplay especially the puzzles. 

This is so true. I actually stopped playing the game because I got stuck on a puzzle that I just didn't have any interest in solving. The puzzles involve you looking at objects at certain way... not the most compelling gameplay. Sound design and atmosphere are top-notch and the combat is decent.

I don't doubt the graphics in the trailer though, Ninja Theory has ALWAYS been at the forefront of getting great digital performances from their characters particularly facial mo-cap. Andy Serkis was involved in a lot of their early projects and I don't know if he is part of the actual company.

Also, will this trailer be single handedly responsible for the resurgence of Metal Music :p?

Translation of her Runic chant:

Come, guest Tyr

For this invocation
I, the Rune Master, servant of Odin, call upon the one of the Sun to aid our army
Ha Hu Hi He Ho He Hi Ha Hu

Wealth, Aurochs, Thorn, Divine Breath, Travel, Torch,
Gift, Joy, Hail, Need, Ice, Harvest,
Tree, Luck, Elk, Sun, Creator, Birch tree
Horse, Man, Water, Fertility, Day, Home

Odin, prepare for battle!

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

Impressive visuals to be sure. I hope it comes to PC too since I bought the first one on PS4, but this won't be coming to PS5 now that Microsoft has bought Ninja Theory. 

There's no way this is not coming to PC. It should be a day one Game Pass title and a huge push for PC gamers to sign up for it.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Impressive visuals to be sure. I hope it comes to PC too since I bought the first one on PS4, but this won't be coming to PS5 now that Microsoft has bought Ninja Theory. 

Every Microsoft 1st Party Studio will be on Xbox and PC.  

I'm not sure we can definitely say Day 1, since Gears Tactics is PC only for a little period of time.

I didn't really need a sequel to Hellblade since it felt pretty self-contained, but it's also the exact type of game that could benefit from the refinements a sequel would offer. If they turn up the combat to feel rewarding and do everything they did right in the first game well, a sequel could be fantastic.

23 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I bought this back when it released on Xbox, but never got around to playing it, even though I always wanted to.  

Well this trailer got me to finally start.  I'm very early in.  It's interesting for sure.

Same, bought it when it released on Xbox, but never even started it :\

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The combat mechanics in this game are as simple as it gets.

True, but it was later in the game and as I was trying to remember what was the parry button and dodge I was getting my ass kicked. I'll play under a different profile for five minutes then go back to it. I just don't want to risk her dying while I'm fumbling around trying to remember everything.

• 5 months later...

Hellblade II confirmed to be using Unreal Engine 5.

The power of Xbox Series X was first demonstrated with the unveiling of Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II.  The team will be building the game on Unreal 5 and leveraging the power of Xbox Series X to bring the Hellblade franchise to levels never before seen. The footage shown was captured in-engine and reflects the power of Xbox Series X available to developers to deliver new universes, experiences and games in ways you have never imagined.

6 hours ago, jaethos said:

This news guarantees the game isn't coming out until the end of 2021 at the earliest, as that's the time frame for UE5. It won't even be in developers hands for testing until spring of next year.

They said very early development at the Game Awards so I think that was expected.  My guess is 2022 but it'll be a larger game in scope compared to the original.

• 2 weeks later...