Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

13 hours ago, silentbob said:

They did for the original Xbox. So why not for this gen if the people keep talking and wanting these new features

46 minutes ago, The def star said:

They did with the Xbox One controllers when they added bluetooth functionality and an audio jack.

Neither of those added game-enhancing features. The Controller S fixed the Duke's wonky ergonomics and the XBO controller was tweaked to work better with PC's/other devices.

29 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Neither of those added game-enhancing features. The Controller S fixed the Duke's wonky ergonomics and the XBO controller was tweaked to work better with PC's/other devices.

Well yeah, but a change in design is still a change in design. Plus they were able to move them stupid black and white buttons that were below the AB/XY buttons to shoulder bumpers. 

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

You said redesign and they have done that several times. I don't think adding adaptive triggers is any different than any other redesign. It doesn't affect playing old games it will only affect games that support it. You can actually turn that feature off on the Playstation and still play games that were designed to use it. TBH I'm indifferent on whether they add adaptive triggers and would most likely turn it off but it's cool if it's something people want.

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I wouldn't consider adding bluetooth a redesign, just adding something they overlooked.

Adding haptic triggers would be a pretty big overhaul to not only the controller but the system itself.

Adding something that wasn't in the original design is a called redesign :p I guess technically a revision.

The Bluetooth revision also included completely new molds for almost everything. They changed the faceplate, removed the IR leds that worked with Kinect, changed the bumpers etc. So it was a pretty big change from a manufacturing perspective.

I have zero interest in the triggers as I turn them off on PS5. The last thing I need are the triggers fighting me. Haptic feedback would be very nice though. It's not the life changing experience a lot of the early PS5 hands on videos made it out to be, but it is better than rumble.

I don’t know that I’d care about any kind of revision or redesign unless they also updated the Elite controller. But I can see how some would care. 

It’s a bigger gameplay change that developers would feel encouraged to support. One more thing to tune and do bug testing on for a game too. 

Definitely not unheard of in the industry. It hasn’t been done for a while. Nintendo Wii’s motion Plus add on and upgrade, the Dual Shock 3 on the PS3, Dual Analog and Dual Shock on the PSone. Xbox has usually changed their improvements for the next console. So yeah, unless MS is seeing data that says they’re missing out on some  significant percentage of sales because they don’t have haptic feedback, then I don’t see them adding it this gen. 

besides, the Xbox has had rumble triggers since the Xbone, and I don’t feel like it gets used that much as is. I don’t know how many games would utilize haptic triggers if MS implemented them in a later controller. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams

Any of y’all try flight simulator on console? Curious about impressions.

I tried playing it with the new update on pc, seems I can get 1440p/60 on ultra now (tested in new york which should stress it well), which is new. Hitting the gpu instead of the cpu now so just need dlss pls.

Something about vrr with this I don’t like, I can see the shifts as it flops all over the place, normally I don’t really notice that. I guess it just fluctuates over such a large range constantly unchecked.

That said the update was annoying and took forever and made me remove more space than I should have and then it kept crashing so I’ll try it more some other time. Will be sweet in vr, should be able to get it looking nice at 72fps now at a decent res with some adjustments.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Any of y’all try flight simulator on console? Curious about impressions.

I tried playing it with the new update on pc, seems I can get 1440p/60 on ultra now (tested in new york which should stress it well), which is new. Hitting the gpu instead of the cpu now so just need dlss pls.

Something about vrr with this I don’t like, I can see the shifts as it flops all over the place, normally I don’t really notice that. I guess it just fluctuates over such a large range constantly unchecked.

That said the update was annoying and took forever and made me remove more space than I should have and then it kept crashing so I’ll try it more some other time. Will be sweet in vr, should be able to get it looking nice at 72fps now at a decent res with some adjustments.

I played with it for an hour so far.  The framerate definitely dips below 30 at times.  It still looks very impressive on my 4k OLED, as I only played it previously on my 1440p Asus Monitor.

The load times actually feel far better than they did on my PC to get in and out of flights, so I was jumping around to different parts of the globe more often due to the faster transistions.

Controls are also actually really easy on controller, where as I struggled at times on the M/KB.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 2:30 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I like all three controllers for the different consoles and as others have said, they all have their pluses and minuses. I do enjoy the haptic feedback in the PS5 controller but worry about those triggers breaking at some point. I wouldn't mind MS' updating their controller with some bells and whistles at some point but they pretty much perfected controller design at this point. Everyone is pretty much mimicking them.

Agreed.

Except the pS4 and earlier playstation controllers, which were all absolutely terrible. The Switch Pro controllers are comfy, but feel cheap. 

But I do love the DualSense. 

The Xbox controllers do not need much change. They are as close to perfect as I've seen.

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Agreed.

Except the pS4 and earlier playstation controllers, which were all absolutely terrible. The Switch Pro controllers are comfy, but feel cheap. 

But I do love the DualSense. 

The Xbox controllers do not need much change. They are as close to perfect as I've seen.

PS4's controller was a HUGE step up from PS3 though.  It's the first Playstation controller that was large enough to feel pretty comfortable and wasn't a distraction while playing.

I like the new Dual Sense, but haven't used it in enough games to really say the bells and whistles aren't more than flashy gimmicks to me personally.

I find the Dualsense to be weirdly uncomfortable, I think it's the angle of the grips. I think the buttons and everything else are an improvement, but that doesn't mean much when I don't like holding it.

It kind of reminds me of the 360-Xbone change, just more extreme. I prefer the sticks/triggers etc. on the one controller, but the 360 feels better in my hands.

I have large hands though, so anytime they make a controller feel better for smaller hands it's less comfortable for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
NovGwG_16x9_4UP_Points_ESRB_Pricing_JPG.
NEWS.XBOX.COM

The November Games with Gold lineup is here! On the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, get ready for a ridiculously fun time in Moving Out, and defend your kingdom in the beautiful 2D platformer Kingdom Two Crowns. And for our lineup via Backward Compatibility, a classic Sega character returns in Rocket Knight, and defend […]

• 2 weeks later...