Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

PS4 might be getting VF5 but Xbox will get DOUBLE the fighting games Playstation is next month

JunGwG_16x9_4UP_Points_ESRB_Pricing_JPG.
NEWS.XBOX.COM

The June Games with Gold lineup is here! On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, experience captivating, momentum-based gameplay in The King’s Bird, and choose to save the world or plunge it into disaster in Shadows: Awakening. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, play a fighting game filled with classic characters in NeoGeo […]

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

PS4 might be getting VF5 but Xbox will get DOUBLE the fighting games Playstation is next month

JunGwG_16x9_4UP_Points_ESRB_Pricing_JPG.
NEWS.XBOX.COM

The June Games with Gold lineup is here! On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, experience captivating, momentum-based gameplay in The King’s Bird, and choose to save the world or plunge it into disaster in Shadows: Awakening. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, play a fighting game filled with classic characters in NeoGeo […]

Well... I almost bought that Shadows Awakening on a sale a little while back... but I couldn't quite justify the $12. Being a tightwad pays off once again!

Also, it's made by the same team that made that Vikings Wolves of Midgard game, which is.... ok. Not bad for a mindless play session but the balancing in the game between the loot/leveling and the enemies is really awful. Just playing through the missions isn't enough to be strong enough or have enough resources to upgrade your village, you have to go back and do "raids" which are just replays of maps you've already cleared in order to gain enough resources, which is lame. I'm a sucker for these top-down ARPG's and have played quite a few of them and that game was really the only one that had this kind of mechanic. Hopefully Shadows Awakening is better.

EDIT: Also I can swear we already got Injustice. I think MS is double-dipping at this point.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder what's really going on with these guys because this has been me for the last three generations. Not much has changed so why now? Gamepass?

Based on everything I've read, Game Pass and Quick Resume are the two big ones.  Then all the cross gen and ease of use stuff like Smart Delivery, Cloud Saves, that all have worked far better on Xbox than PS5.

Right now when it isn't as thought there are boat loads of top tier exclusives to play, I think the quality of life on Xbox provides the best experience during this transition phase. Maybe in 12 months the calculus will be different.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Right now when it isn't as thought there are boat loads of top tier exclusives to play, I think the quality of life on Xbox provides the best experience during this transition phase. Maybe in 12 months the calculus will be different.

Quality of life on Xbox has ALWAYS been better than on Playstation though... Sony has always had the edge in exclusives.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Quality of life on Xbox has ALWAYS been better than on Playstation though... Sony has always had the edge in exclusives.

Yes. My point is that in the absence of those exclusive titles, QOL superiority is as good a reason as any to choose which platform to game on. New and exclusive games can't be much of a draw for either console at this point.

40 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Another IGN schill.  3 of them posting almost exactly the same thing, haha.

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder what's really going on with these guys because this has been me for the last three generations. Not much has changed so why now? Gamepass?

Brian Altano's always been kind of a tool though. But yeah, some of the other podcasts have been talking about this as well. Xbox podcasts that have been languishing in obscurity are all of a sudden getting an influx of viewers, and there are now dozens of new Xbox podcasts where before there weren't any. There's definitely a shift happening and the big media outlets are almost like "Yeah, we were fans all along!" now that being an Xbox fan is starting to become "cool" again.

As primarily an Xbox fan, I was all too aware of the lack of Xbox coverage in most mainstream outlets for years. The only reason IGN was never on my shit list was because they had an Xbox podcast with Ryan McAffrey who's a legit Xbox guy and knows his shit. Every other part of IGN was awful. It took a fucking pandemic for the Kinda Funny Sony Ponies to finally make an Xbox podcast, and even then it was on a six-episode "test run" (which was probably even more insulting than not actually having the podcast itself). Luckily the fans turned out and they kept the show, because of course they would cuz of the patreon subs and ad revenue. Luckily Snowbike Mike is actually a super fan and you know he's not just doing it for the paycheck.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A lot of Xbox Series Xs up today from Amazon 3rd party sellers, they are going for $750 new and used.

I guess we found where those best buy drops went!

I've had a Series X still boxed up since launch day sitting in my closet.  Thought my brother would've wanted it but he doesn't game much so he never cared.  Think he may want it for Flight Sim though.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I've had a Series X still boxed up since launch day sitting in my closet.  Thought my brother would've wanted it but he doesn't game much so he never cared.  Think he may want it for Flight Sim though.

If he doesn’t want it I’m sure a user here would buy it off of you. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This should be interesting. If there's anyone that managed to squeeze UE4 for all it was worth, it was them. Gears 5 was a damn fine looking game and ran great on the base XBO. I'm excited to see what they manage to do with UE5 and Series S/X.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

It feels weird to celebrate the fact that I was finally able to give a major company five hundred of my hard-earned American dollars, but here we are. I picked up my Series X from Best Buy this morning! 

Congrats you fucker.

Don’t know how many people notice but xcloud gaming has now come to Canada as well as IOS devices. Easily connect my PS4/5 or Xbox Controller via Bluetooth and off I go. Didn’t really try anything too taxing with Ori, but my PS4 controller was pretty much dead after booting into the game

3 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I was hoping that would be part of a new batch of FPS Boost ensbled games. It's just the one?

They mentioned they had to use a special technique for Dark Souls to work, so maybe it's a hint at them being able to do a larger batch of games now with this new technique.

Aren't the From Software games known to have gameplay animations tied to Framerates?  I think that was one limiting factor in FPS Boost previously, so maybe they've made progress there.

47 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

They mentioned they had to use a special technique for Dark Souls to work, so maybe it's a hint at them being able to do a larger batch of games now with this new technique.

Aren't the From Software games known to have gameplay animations tied to Framerates?  I think that was one limiting factor in FPS Boost previously, so maybe they've made progress there.

Yeah there were weird framerate hitches that the FPS Boost appears to have cleared up, according to Eurogamer. From did a PS5 back compat patch for it that made it a lot better but they never bothered to do it for Xbox.

33 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
vgc-social-split__controllers-alt.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

“We kind of look at some of that and [think] there are things that we should go do”…

Stop thinking about it and JUST DO IT ALREADY! That would be great for so many games like Halo and it’s various weapons.

32 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Stop thinking about it and JUST DO IT ALREADY! That would be great for so many games like Halo and it’s various weapons.

Other than fixing the D-Pad and maybe some other minor adjustments I prefer the Xbox Controller. So hopefully they don't do anything drastic.

They both have their good and bad in the controller. I do love the Xbox controller and have since the S controller came out so many years ago. They haven’t done much to improve what isn’t really broken, but a few bells and whistles would be nice to see. Sony stuck with the same design until the DS4 was released for the PS4 and I overall enjoyed the controller that design. I was never a fan of what seem too small my hands, in the initial duel shock controller design. I like the new bells/whistles on the PS5 controller but feels at times a slight bit bulky in my big hands. Also wish the joysticks were laid out like the Xbox, but that seems likely to never happen. The Switch Pro Controller is nice but I fucking hate having my buttons in reverse order to what is essentially an XBox controller.

I like all three controllers for the different consoles and as others have said, they all have their pluses and minuses. I do enjoy the haptic feedback in the PS5 controller but worry about those triggers breaking at some point. I wouldn't mind MS' updating their controller with some bells and whistles at some point but they pretty much perfected controller design at this point. Everyone is pretty much mimicking them.