Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

On a side note... those of you that do Primarily game on PC, and play on TVs, do any of you have 120hz TVs?  Any recommendations?

That's another thing I am definitely going to be looking into this fall.  I've done some PC gaming on my TV for the HDR benefits, but have had issues with it at times.   With Xbox Series X targeting 120fps for some games, and having the PC hooked up to the TV as well, I definitley want to upgrade.  I know the LG C9 I think its highly recommended, but does anyone know of others that maybe coming this year, or other lesser known that offer 4k, 120hz, HDR? 

Also, for my current setup, something less than 50 inches is definitely preferred.  My current TV in the game room is only 43 inches.  Seems like getting smaller TV's with all the perks is tough.

So many people in this thread have 3-4 this gen Xbox's.  Like, I've heard of families buying multiple 3DSs for their kids, or people buying consoles as 'collectors,' but having duplicates of the same box and claiming to actually use all of them is a revelation to me.

Since I'm curious... do any of you not own any other platforms?  Like no Switch, PS4, or reasonably up to date PC?

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

So many people in this thread have 3-4 this gen Xbox's.  Like, I've heard of families buying multiple 3DSs for their kids, or people buying consoles as 'collectors,' but having duplicates of the same box and claiming to actually use all of them is a revelation to me.

Since I'm curious... do any of you not own any other platforms?  Like no Switch, PS4, or reasonably up to date PC?

I have in my house:

(4) Xbox One X, my room, living room, daughter’s room, son’s room

(4) Nintendo Switch, mine and one for each of my kids

(1) Launch PS4 that I think is in a box somewhere

(1) Launch OS4 pro in the boys’ room

(1) Windows 10 PC, AMD 3900X and RTX2080 Ti

I may have an electronics problem

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I have two PS4's one in LA and one here at my parent's house, a recently bought Switch and a PC laptop that I use for editing that I also game on occasionally (Currently playing GTAV and KOTOR 2 on it)

I also own two PS3's and more 360's than I can count in addition to my OG Xbox and my Dreamcast. I also am getting my Saturn and Nintendo 64 out of storage for shits and giggles.

Oh and BTW I use my Xbone in my bedroom for streaming and media.

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

In my house

3 Xbox's , 1 X 2 S

1 Launch PS4, just ordered a Pro to play all the exclusives I hadn't played yet, and LoU2

1 Switch, 1 Switch Lite

My primary gaming PC, then 2 older PCs. Both with 1080gtx. 1 a i7-7700, the other an i7-5520 or something.  I use one one in a seperate room dedicated to VR gaming.

1 Gaming Lap Top I use for VR on the go, with a 1070gtx.

I also have an electronics problem. 

5 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

In my house

3 Xbox's , 1 X 2 S

1 Launch PS4, just ordered a Pro to play all the exclusives I hadn't played yet, and LoU2

1 Switch, 1 Switch Lite

My primary gaming PC, then 2 older PCs. Both with 1080gtx. 1 a i7-7700, the other an i7-5520 or something.  I use one one in a seperate room dedicated to VR gaming.

1 Gaming Lap Top I use for VR on the go, witha. 1070gtx.

I also have an electronics problem. 

THAT'S what's in my laptop :p I'm actually thinking about upgrading my editing laptop later this year. I'm due for a new desktop as well, but I tend to go Mac for desktops. Might not this go round since the latest MAC desktop costs as much as a used car :p

What kind of laptop do you have @JPDunks4? Which brand? rumor is my family is chipping in to get me an Occulus Quest for my birthday :drool:

I TOO have an electronics problem dave chappelle omg GIF

7 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

On a side note... those of you that do Primarily game on PC, and play on TVs, do any of you have 120hz TVs?  Any recommendations?

That's another thing I am definitely going to be looking into this fall.  I've done some PC gaming on my TV for the HDR benefits, but have had issues with it at times.   With Xbox Series X targeting 120fps for some games, and having the PC hooked up to the TV as well, I definitley want to upgrade.  I know the LG C9 I think its highly recommended, but does anyone know of others that maybe coming this year, or other lesser known that offer 4k, 120hz, HDR? 

Also, for my current setup, something less than 50 inches is definitely preferred.  My current TV in the game room is only 43 inches.  Seems like getting smaller TV's with all the perks is tough.

Anything that’s HDMI 2.1 is the route you want to go. I’d personally go with an LG OLED CX (the replacement for the C9) or wait to see if Vizio releases a 2.1 TV on their QLEDs, the next alternative would be a Sony X900H/X950G. I have a hard time recommending Samsung these days as they don’t support Dolby Vision, which is completely asinine. 

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Anything that’s HDMI 2.1 is the route you want to go. I’d personally go with an LG OLED CX (the replacement for the C9) or wait to see if Vizio releases a 2.1 TV on their QLEDs, the next alternative would be a Sony X900H/X950G. I have a hard time recommending Samsung these days as they don’t support Dolby Vision, which is completely asinine. 

7 hours ago, jaethos said:

The new LG CX has a 45" version. This is the first year they've gone down to that size.

Thanks to both.  Definitely would prefer something in the mid 40 inch range due to spacing issues, and I sit pretty damn close to it.  I've also looked for PC Monitors that offer HDR and high refresh rates, but have had a hard time finding one that is larger and highly recommended, or they are just insanely priced still.

Will definitely be checking out the CX line, as I keep hearing great things about the LG OLED's.

9 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Thanks to both.  Definitely would prefer something in the mid 40 inch range due to spacing issues, and I sit pretty damn close to it.  I've also looked for PC Monitors that offer HDR and high refresh rates, but have had a hard time finding one that is larger and highly recommended, or they are just insanely priced still.

Will definitely be checking out the CX line, as I keep hearing great things about the LG OLED's.

There are only 5 PC monitors that offer actual HDR, three of which are 4k, two of which are ultra-wide 1440p. The others use “HDR 400” which is worthless; it basically let’s you enable HDR but offers no visual benefit for it. There’s one or two (typically from Acer) that use HDR 600, which is arguably still pretty worthless. For HDR you want 1000nits or higher.

They’re all over $1k in price: the ASUS PG27UQ, ASUS PG43UQ, ASUS PG35VQ (UW 1440p), Acer Predator X27 HDR 1000, and Acer Predator X35 HDR 1000 (UW 1440p). I have a PG27UQ. You *could* go with the PG43UQ (it’s 43”), however, it costs $1800-ish.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

There are only 5 PC monitors that offer actual HDR, three of which are 4k, two of which are ultra-wide 1440p. The others use “HDR 400” which is worthless; it basically let’s you enable HDR but offers no visual benefit for it. There’s one or two (typically from Acer) that use HDR 600, which is arguably still pretty worthless. For HDR you want 1000nits or higher.

They’re all over $1k in price: the ASUS PG27UQ, ASUS PG43UQ, ASUS PG35VQ (UW 1440p), Acer Predator X27 HDR 1000, and Acer Predator X35 HDR 1000 (UW 1440p). I have a PG27UQ. You *could* go with the PG43UQ (it’s 43”), however, it costs $1800-ish.

Ya that's what I was kinda referring to.

I looked into most of these and found they were using fake HDR, lots of marketing lingo, and most reviews I read were pretty mixed.  The ones I saw with real HDR were pretty pricey, or had other issues.

I ended up ordering the 48 inch LG CX coming out in a month.  I'm way too much of an impulse shopper.  Thanks for the recommendations.

It's occurring to me that I'll probably have to get a XSX at some point so that my wife can play Fable 2 again. It's basically her favorite game, and while she loves playing Fable Anniversary on PC, they never released Fable 2 on PC and our 360 is long since decommissioned.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Ya that's what I was kinda referring to.

I looked into most of these and found they were using fake HDR, lots of marketing lingo, and most reviews I read were pretty mixed.  The ones I saw with real HDR were pretty pricey, or had other issues.

I ended up ordering the 48 inch LG CX coming out in a month.  I'm way too much of an impulse shopper.  Thanks for the recommendations.

The CX is probably the best choice as, now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t believe any of those monitors can actually do VRR through HDMI since they have 2.0 ports. I can get 60hz + HDR through HDMI, but no GSync on my PG27UQ (I have to use DP for 4k HDR GSync). There are HDMI-Display Port cables but I don’t know if that would actually allow you to use HDMI 2.1 features on future consoles on the monitors.

36 minutes ago, legend said:

It's occurring to me that I'll probably have to get a XSX at some point so that my wife can play Fable 2 again. It's basically her favorite game, and while she loves playing Fable Anniversary on PC, they never released Fable 2 on PC and our 360 is long since decommissioned.

It’s so annoying that Fable 2 never got a PC release, mostly because of how shit the framerate is on the 360 version. :/ 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I started Fable 2 and never finished... gonna rectify that soon.

I think it's my favorite Fable. It's of course not anywhere close to hype factory that Molyneux surrounds those games with, but it's fairly solid and the humor is really enjoyable.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

I think it's my favorite Fable. It's of course not anywhere close to hype factory that Molyneux surrounds those games with, but it's fairly solid and the humor is really enjoyable.

Yeah I bought it at launch for the 360... in fact I think i got it a couple of weeks early and never finished it. I think that year a TON of games came out back to back and Im got overwhelmed :p Pretty sure Gears 2 and Fallout 3 came out around the same time... maybe I'm getting my years wrong.

15 minutes ago, legend said:

I think if they made a new one today it could live up to the initial hype.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

PLAY IT AND REPORT BACK

:p 

I played that game back at launch, and I remember being so disappointed in it.  Peter Molyneux was like, this will have revolutionary Co-op like you've never experienced before.

And it was so bad, he was right, I had never played co-op that was so useless and dumb.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

I played that game back at launch, and I remember being so disappointed in it.  Peter Molyneux was like, this will have revolutionary Co-op like you've never experienced before.

And it was so bad, he was right, I had never played co-op that was so useless and dumb.

It had CO-OP?

22 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Have Switch and a Switch Lite (eldest child), PS3, a WiiU, and a” gaming” laptop. All get play time. 

Since I’ve been an adult and especially owned my own homes (vs renting an apartment in college), I’ve had multiple of my main consoles for different rooms. Just makes it easier to play when I want, the kids have taken that to another level.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, johnny said:

The only thing that matters at this point is games and if you have PC money there’s zero reason to buy this 

Exactly!

I love my Xbox x but I'm ready right now to put my money down on a PS5 Preorder as I have 2080Ti gaming PC and there is no reason to buy one now or even in the near future. I'll buy a series x around Christmas next year and do the PC to PS5 to Switch gaming regiment . . 

I'd be careful if getting a real OLED for your PC screen. OLED is still hyper susceptible for burn-in, and PC is where you have static elements present for hours and hours, so burn-in potential is huge. Should be fine if you just chuck on a screen-saver or something that activates after a few minutes, but definitely don't just let it sit at your desktop for hours. I think as long as you're aware of that you'll be fine. I really want that LG CX myself, but 48 is just still way too big for a desktop screen for me. Get it down in the 30 inch range and I'll be able to justify it.

30 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'd be careful if getting a real OLED for your PC screen. OLED is still hyper susceptible for burn-in, and PC is where you have static elements present for hours and hours, so burn-in potential is huge. Should be fine if you just chuck on a screen-saver or something that activates after a few minutes, but definitely don't just let it sit at your desktop for hours. I think as long as you're aware of that you'll be fine. I really want that LG CX myself, but 48 is just still way too big for a desktop screen for me. Get it down in the 30 inch range and I'll be able to justify it.

Thanks for the heads up.  It won't be my primary PC screen, I have a 27 inch Asus 165hz screen for the majority of my PC gaming.  Just depending on the game, if I play with controller and with HDR, I'll throw it up on the TV, like for Fallen Order.  I wish they had smaller than 48 inch, but its the best it seems like it can do for now, and I can manage to make that work within my space.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:38 AM, Spork3245 said:

The CX is probably the best choice as, now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t believe any of those monitors can actually do VRR through HDMI since they have 2.0 ports. I can get 60hz + HDR through HDMI, but no GSync on my PG27UQ (I have to use DP for 4k HDR GSync). There are HDMI-Display Port cables but I don’t know if that would actually allow you to use HDMI 2.1 features on future consoles on the monitors.

The newer Acer models do support VRR over HDMI, not sure if they will work with AMD GPUs though.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The newer Acer models do support VRR over HDMI, not sure if they will work with AMD GPUs though.

I don’t believe those Acer ones that support VRR over HDMI are HDR1000. Are they? I think they’re the Freesync 2 ones with HDR600

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t believe those Acer ones that support VRR over HDMI are HDR1000. Are they? I think they’re the Freesync 2 ones with HDR600

I remember reading that the X27, which is HDR1000, was getting the updated module that supports VRR over HDMI. 
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/acer-predator-x27-p-with-minor-updates-now-supporting-vrr-over-hdmi/