Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

1 hour ago, The def star said:

With you also getting a PS5 I don't know where you get all this time to play all these games :lol: I have to pick and choose my games and even then my backlog is still pilling up.

My backlog is completely fucked either way. I definitely don’t have time for all these games.

welcome-to-the-new-eurogamer-15215433055
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Digital Foundry presents the definitive verdict on an entirely new type of games console - Microsoft's junior Series machine, which aims to bring you the same games at lower resolutions. Does it work?

My problem is not with the machine, however, but with the messaging - because if there is indeed feature parity between Series X and S at 4K and 1080p respectively, that's fine. That's certainly what's happening with Forza Horizon 4, and there are actually some rather lovely surprises elsewhere. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - one of the most beautiful games in the Xbox library - runs at 4K60 or alternatively at 1080p120. It does so flawlessly. Meanwhile, the Touryst runs at the same 4K60 as Xbox One X. However, on the flipside, Watch Dogs: Legion may well retain hardware accelerated ray tracing and very stable 30fps performance, but the reductions in texture quality, shadow quality and much more are clearly apparent. It also highlights another issue: if 4K Series X equates to 1080p Series S in some cases, what happens when X uses dynamic resolution scaling? In the case of Watch Dogs: Legion, it seems that the DRS range is 900p-1080p up against 1440p to 2160p on Series X - and as the direct screenshot comparisons on this page demonstrate, that can be an issue when blown up on a large living room display.

We only have a limited number of titles to test so far, but for the most part, the Xbox Series S holds up as a cheap, entry-level console and if you go in expecting a lower-resolution version of the Series X experience, that's what you're going to get - but there is the sense that the long-term prospects of the machine will be very much related to just how scalable it really is, and how it continues to be as the generation progresses.

Second source now saying that both consoles use image reconstruction.  They found lower bounds and resolution averages than NX gamer, closer in line with the PS4 Pro's typical resolution counts:

PS5 and Xbox Series X use a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. Both consoles rarely render at a native resolution of 3840x2160. The native resolution is usually between 2432x1368 and 2880x1620 on both consoles. PS5 and Xbox Series X use a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox Series S [at 30fps] uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2880x1620 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2048x1152.

@TomCat counted his eggs before they hatched.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:47 PM, TomCat said:

Oh My its Already Starting.   Valhalla will run at NATIVE 4k 60 on the Series X    and  will use upscalling on the ps5 to achieve 4k60 
HardWare Advantage on Display ALREADY!!!

Claims of "4K native" for AAA games should always be taken with a heaping spoonful of salt, until there's evidence of typical resolution / no reconstruction techniques.  Its like a developer calling their game 60fps when it averages 50fps or lower.

There was reason to be skeptical here anyways, with Ubisoft being wishy-washy on what framerate the game would run at initially.  I'm glad they made the development choices they did to get it to 60fps, even if the press release promises were sketch.

29 minutes ago, atom631 said:

is there any one game out right now that really showcases the power of the series x? 

i have No Mans Sky, COD: MW19, Valhalla, Gears 5 all installed. those are the only ones I see with a XSX logo on them. 

Been playing mostly Valhalla and the 60FPS is awesome. 

DiRT 5 if you want to try some 1440P 120hz racing. 

Master Chief Collection should be getting Optimized for Series X/S next week 11/17.

23 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Again, most people don’t care about 4k. 80% of buyers probably don’t have 4k tv’s. Its a perfect streaming device, it still plays what the series x plays, and is much cheaper.

its especially going to be big with parents buying for kids.

I still think it is a shitty console and will not sell as well as you predict and will see a larger gap between the two version by developers. It won't just be resolution.

Any thoughts on the controller? I've been eyeing getting an Xbox One controller to replace my 360 controller but if the Xbone controllers don't get a nice Black Friday discount to clear out the inventory then for the same money I figure I might as well get the newer controller, unless people really hate it or something compared to the Xbone controller.

(And I lust after that Elite controller, but can't justify spending the money given the amount I use my 360 controller. :()

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Any thoughts on the controller? I've been eyeing getting an Xbox One controller to replace my 360 controller but if the Xbone controllers don't get a nice Black Friday discount to clear out the inventory then for the same money I figure I might as well get the newer controller, unless people really hate it or something compared to the Xbone controller.

(And I lust after that Elite controller, but can't justify spending the money given the amount I use my 360 controller. :()

I think people like the Sex controller for the new d-pad alone.

If I actually had ended up getting one of these I would consider giving / selling the game lab controller I made (for the Xbone)

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

The XSX controller is a big upgrade from the Xbone controller. They look similar but it feels higher quality overall in terms of texture and build-quality, and the dpad feels a lot better.

Just now, Jason said:

I'm guessing retailers won't be rushing to clear out inventory on the Elite series 2 since there's no Xbox Series X version yet. :(

does the series x controller have any new rumble features? otherwise i really dont see them releasing a revised version for a while. 

1 hour ago, The def star said:

The Series X controller actually feels better in my hands than my Elite Series 2. The Elite Series 2 still feels premium and love all the features on it but the Series X controller just melts into my hands. I hope they make a Elite Series 3 with the same changes they did on the Series X.

I love the weight of the Series 2!

the Xbone feels flimsy (the best word i could muSter to explain)compared to the SeX controller. 

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Second source now saying that both consoles use image reconstruction.  They found lower bounds and resolution averages than NX gamer, closer in line with the PS4 Pro's typical resolution counts:

@TomCat counted his eggs before they hatched.

Claims of "4K native" for AAA games should always be taken with a heaping spoonful of salt, until there's evidence of typical resolution / no reconstruction techniques.  Its like a developer calling their game 60fps when it averages 50fps or lower.

There was reason to be skeptical here anyways, with Ubisoft being wishy-washy on what framerate the game would run at initially.  I'm glad they made the development choices they did to get it to 60fps, even if the press release promises were sketch.

lol cause i used the WORDS FROM UBISOFT themselves  I'm wrong  Man you on a life mission to prove ole Tomcat Wrong Keep trying. Ubisoft themselves are the one that said series x would be native 4k and ps5 would be dynamic

1 hour ago, TomCat said:

lol cause i used the WORDS FROM UBISOFT themselves  I'm wrong  Man you on a life mission to prove ole Tomcat Wrong Keep trying. Ubisoft themselves are the one that said series x would be native 4k and ps5 would be dynamic

Meh. I’ve played on both. Not much difference. 
Anyway, I can’t play Spider-Man, Demons Soul, Sackboy, or Astrobot on my xbox, so its taking a back seat for now. 

All I care about is that both are incredible consoles that work very well so far. Both are so good the difference is minimal, at least currently.

1 hour ago, TomCat said:

They said PS5 was 4K too at one point.  Your mistake was taking the PR as gospel.  There’s a long track record of 4K being fungible to Ubisoft (and most AAA publishers), especially with dynamic drops,  sub-4K averages and reconstruction.  

So yeah.  Don’t be so trusting, and you won’t be disappointed.

For me the xbox’s biggest draw is gamepass. The console clearly has more brute force, and I’ll probably play multiplats on Series X most often, unless friends are planning to play on ps5. 

But my first priority in any generation is first party Nintendo and Sony games. They are my favourites without question. I would love if xbox got there with their studios, and ill still support them, they are the best deal in gaming right now budget wise. But they aren’t better than either Sony or Nintendo -to me-regardless of hardware. Games like Mario, MarioKart, Zelda, Animal Crossing, smash,  prove that console power doesn’t mean much. In the end, sll that matters is keeping up with the games. 

Still, don’t get me wrong, MS did a wonderful job, and are buying great studios, so im expecting this to be their best generation yet. 

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They said PS5 was 4K too at one point.  Your mistake was taking the PR as gospel.  There’s a long track record of 4K being fungible to Ubisoft (and most AAA publishers), especially with dynamic drops,  sub-4K averages and reconstruction.  

So yeah.  Don’t be so trusting, and you won’t be disappointed.

ole TomCat is just fine   Not my fault Ubisoft dont know what their own teams are doing. 

14 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I cannot believe how god awful slow the downloads are on this XSX. I’m getting around 40Mb when my X1X got 200-300Mb. 6 1/2hrs to download the COD:CW 130Gb file. 

its making my PS4 look fast. 

That’s weird I’m getting the same speed as I did on the X

2 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

Not me. And this literally replaced the X1X, using the exact same Ethernet cable. 

It’s awful. No way am I playing anything tonight if I want to be able to play Cold War anytime soon. 

17 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I cannot believe how god awful slow the downloads are on this XSX. I’m getting around 40Mb when my X1X got 200-300Mb. 6 1/2hrs to download the COD:CW 130Gb file. 

its making my PS4 look fast. 

3 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

Yeah, mine are the same as before, which is to say wildly variable. I can get up to around 320mb, but it can also hang out sub 100. I have gigabit Internet and the Xbox is hardwired. I don't have similar issues with Steam or GOG.