Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Just pointing out what I read on resetera. Multiple people mentioned it made a big difference. They seem to think its a fact. 

servers getting slammed is definitely the biggest part, though.

Don't believe everything you see on the internet... apparently XSX's are catching fire according the worldwide webs.

My download speeds hit 900Mb/s yesterday at some points, but it was just all over the place.  Just some first day growing pains probably.

My guess is it will act like our Xbox One's did when they get it all sorted out.  No reason for the console to turn on to remotely download something.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No one likes Xbox on Resetera.

They seem to love the Series X 🤷‍♂️ Nobody was trashing it, they were just talking about it, and claimed it was a feature, not a bug, to make sure dl’s don’t throttle bandwidth for gaming.

if its not true, thats cool. Just letting others know in case it was. 

What is the thought now with the underpowered Series S? I think it is just a disappointment out of the box. I see it lasting 2 years. I get it cheaper but all PS5s have the same chips in both versions. I can't imagine people getting excited for a Series S unless they are just oblivious to what it really is. It seems like only ignorant gamers would be happy with a Series S.

13 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

What is the thought now with the underpowered Series S? I think it is just a disappointment out of the box. I see it lasting 2 years. I get it cheaper but all PS5s have the same chips in both versions. I can't imagine people getting excited for a Series S unless they are just oblivious to what it really is. It seems like only ignorant gamers would be happy with a Series S.

Or people who just don’t care about 4k. 🤷‍♂️ It was actually an incredibly smart strategy 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What last gen game do you guys think benefits most on XSX? 360 game?

I booted up RDR2 and was disappointed that it’s exactly the same minus load times :p 

Halo 3 on MCC looked insanely better.

MCC won't get it's optimization till next week. Your playing MMC with the Xbox One X enhanced settings.

Currently downloading all my optimizations for my games. This gonna a take a while. My Xbox sounds like a very low rumbling. My buddy says his doesn't make any noise. Not a big deal as it's quite than my Xbox One X but kinda upset that it's not completely quiet :cry:

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

The series S would never have been for gamers like us, at least not as their primary unit. The One S must have given MS enough reason to believe that a similar thing again would have some level of success. 

Yeah, within 2 years either it or the One X will be the “low end” supported unit and by year 3 we’ll be getting a refresh. The tech in the series X will be able to slid into a series S shell, and the series X gets a larger internal SSD, and newer iterations of the CPU and GPU. Within another 3 years they’re ramping up to roll out the next “generation” of consoles with a whole new generation of CPU and GPU. 

59 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The series S would never have been for gamers like us, at least not as their primary unit. The One S must have given MS enough reason to believe that a similar thing again would have some level of success. 

Yeah, within 2 years either it or the One X will be the “low end” supported unit and by year 3 we’ll be getting a refresh. The tech in the series X will be able to slid into a series S shell, and the series X gets a larger internal SSD, and newer iterations of the CPU and GPU. Within another 3 years they’re ramping up to roll out the next “generation” of consoles with a whole new generation of CPU and GPU. 

I also think that Series X will become the new 'S' once a mid-cycle refresh is here.

That leaves the existing Series S in a bit of a pickle though.  On one hand, it won't hold things back as much as if the Xbox One X was still around. But it could also see some performance issues on it if developers push onward past it.  We're already getting a dynamic 1080p30 in Watch Dogs, a cross-gen title with next-gen visual features.  How much worse could it be in 3 years?  6 years?

How good of a purchase it is depends entirely on how ports shape up for as long as its intended to be used.  If it starts to struggle once the cross-gen period is over, that's not good enough IMO.

12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I also think that Series X will become the new 'S' once a mid-cycle refresh is here.

That leaves the existing Series S in a bit of a pickle though.  On one hand, it won't hold things back as much as if the Xbox One X was still around. But it could also see some performance issues on it if developers push onward past it.  We're already getting a dynamic 1080p30 in Watch Dogs, a cross-gen title with next-gen visual features.  How much worse could it be in 3 years?  6 years?

How good of a purchase it is depends entirely on how ports shape up for as long as its intended to be used.  If it starts to struggle once the cross-gen period is over, that's not good enough IMO.

it’s not like the One S was running games great up until this point. Many games, sadly, suffered from frame rate issues. I expect that will happen with the Series S. 

26 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Posting this for posterity because I’ll probably forget but the first game I played on my XSX is Bright Memory. It’s definitely got some style to it.

I played about 20 minutes... It's not my kind of game. I deleted it. HD space is gold. No room for stuff I don't love. 

Are backwards compatible Xbox and 360 games getting any optimization outside of auto-HDR? 

Still waiting to see what's up with my Microsoft store order.  It has an estimated delivery of 12/22, but I paid for expedited shipping and I have a pending charge on my card.  I don't mind waiting but it would be a nice surprise to get it sooner.

6 minutes ago, number305 said:

I played about 20 minutes... It's not my kind of game. I deleted it. HD space is gold. No room for stuff I don't love. 

It already crashed on me in like a 20 minutes of play. It’s probably not for me either but it’s not completely terrible.

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

It already crashed on me in like a 20 minutes of play. It’s probably not for me either but it’s not completely terrible.

I actually enjoyed what little there was of it.  It is rough around the edges for sure, a little into to the style of game they are working on.  For $7.00 can't go too wrong.  Its set up as a bit of a Time Trial, I finished it in 36 minutes my first run.

28 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I actually enjoyed what little there was of it.  It is rough around the edges for sure, a little into to the style of game they are working on.  For $7.00 can't go too wrong.  Its set up as a bit of a Time Trial, I finished it in 36 minutes my first run.

Oh shit that’s all it is? I’ll get back into it later then.

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Oh shit that’s all it is? I’ll get back into it later then.

Yeah, I did stop after I finished the first area, so there might be more.  I had read it was just a short into into the game concept of Bright Memory Infinite, which is coming next year.

I enjoy the core gameplay, and the idea of the upgrades and skills.

There are a few games that feel like they are just the 1 to 1 PC port running on Xbox.  Enlisted is an Early Access game that also plays very much like it's just the PC version running on Xbox.

10 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

There are a few games that feel like they are just the 1 to 1 PC port running on Xbox.  Enlisted is an Early Access game that also plays very much like it's just the PC version running on Xbox.

As I said earlier this is straight up just the PC version on Xbox. It's got mouse controls for it's menus, every graphics option that can be turned on and off are PC settings (like who would turn vsync off on a console game?) On the plus side you can turn off DOF, Motion Blur and Chromatic aberration!

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As I said earlier this is straight up just the PC version on Xbox. It's got mouse controls for it's menus, every graphics option that can be turned on and off are PC settings (like who would turn vsync off on a console game?) On the plus side you can turn off DOF, Motion Blur and Chromatic aberration!

Yeah, it's kind of interesting.  Their new Dev Kit is basically a PC/Xbox Dev Kit all in one, so when you develop for one it's basically developing for both.  Will be interesting if that allows more games to be ported over by default. 

I noticed if you have a game on your external HDD and update it to be Series X/S optimized you will have 2 copies of the game. One on the internal and one on the external. The internal is the optimized game and the external is the base Xbox game. When you play the game it launches the optimized version. This is interesting as I thought it would remove the base game from my external HDD but I guess it makes sense since if I decide to connect my external HDD to my Xbox One X the game is still there.

16 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

One thing I'm curious about.

The Series S version's of games is smaller than the X version.  If you put an X version on the Seagate SSD, and plug it into your S, will it be able to play the larger version of the game, or do you need a separate install of the S version?

Hhhhmmm that is a good question. Maybe Series X versions have all the same data information as the Series S plus high res textures? I have been trying to pick up a Series S and would love to test that out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The def star said:

I noticed if you have a game on your external HDD and update it to be Series X/S optimized you will have 2 copies of the game. One on the internal and one on the external. The internal is the optimized game and the external is the base Xbox game. When you play the game it launches the optimized version. This is interesting as I thought it would remove the base game from my external HDD but I guess it makes sense since if I decide to connect my external HDD to my Xbox One X the game is still there.

I was wondering how that would work!