Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Still sticking to these?

yep none of that has been implemented yet in any games.   You see how well gears of war looks. its only using Software Raytracing.  You see how many 120fps games we have. 

Also Remember I said MS should come out with 3version of the X.  one Fully upgraded one  one with the new cpu and the same gpu as the 1x  then a streaming machine.    Looks like that streaming machine is becoming a reality   and the S is exactly what i said except they went the upgrade route with the gpu to rdna 2.  

We’ll need like-for-like comparisons to see exactly where the Series X stacks up in regard to RT.  (As for VRS, we’ve already seen on PC that it’s nowhere close enough to ‘free’ RT)

Seeing how the next-gen release of Control performs on Series X relative to a 2080 with DLSS should suffice, since it’s the heaviest game we know of with it.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

We’ll need like-for-like comparisons to see exactly where the Series X stacks up in regard to RT.

Seeing how the next-gen release of Control performs on Series X relative to a 2080 with DLSS should suffice, since it’s the heaviest game we know of with it.

Watch_Dogs is looking to be more intensive given the chart nVidia released.

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Watch_Dogs is looking to be more intensive given the chart nVidia released.

Seems like a more demanding game in general before RT is considered.  It’s also open world, whereas Control is not.  They’ll both be good case studies for different implementations.

This is also Ubisoft’s first pass at it.  Wonder if they’re having optimization trouble like EA did initially.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Seems like a more demanding game in general before RT is considered.  It’s also open world, whereas Control is not.  They’ll both be good case studies for different implementations.

This is also Ubisoft’s first pass at it.  Wonder if they’re having optimization trouble like EA did initially.

i also said Amd would give Nvdia a good kick in the ass like they did Intel.  Guess what  Benchmarks that have leaked shows it beats the 3080 in everything but raytracing

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

yep none of that has been implemented yet in any games.   You see how well gears of war looks. its only using Software Raytracing.

To my knowledge Gears 5 still relies on screen space reflections, but the Series X patch adds UE4's screen space contact shadows and screen space GI.

Gears 5 is visually far better off with these additions, but it is not technically a Raytracing showcase.

7 minutes ago, Duderino said:

To my knowledge Gears 5 still relies on screen space reflections, but the Series X patch adds UE4's screen space contact shadows and screen space GI.

Gears 5 is visually far better off with these additions, but it is not technically a Raytracing showcase.

wasnt saying it ws a RT showcase. I was saying look how great it looks and its not even real Ray Tracing.  Its software Ray tracing for Global Ilumination

22 minutes ago, TomCat said:

i also said Amd would give Nvdia a good kick in the ass like they did Intel.  Guess what  Benchmarks that have leaked shows it beats the 3080 in everything but raytracing

But that’s a huge caveat given the direction the industry is going.  It doesn’t have an equivalency with Ryzen vs Intel CPUs.

Without the full story on their upscaling plans (which they NEED to compete in the PC space) it’s a total shot in the dark how far behind they actually are with RT.  The two go hand in hand. 

I want to see them compete in the PC market.  But they can’t do it just by brute forcing here.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

But that’s a huge caveat given the direction the industry is going.  It doesn’t have an equivalency with Ryzen vs Intel.

Without the full story on their upscaling plans (which they NEED to compete in the PC space) it’s a total shot in the dark how far behind they actually are with RT.  The two go hand in hand. 

I want to see them compete in the PC market.  But they can’t do it just by brute forcing here.

yea move that goal post.  You said it wouldnt compete at all.  Now it has to have the total package.  Beating it in Gaming performance aint good enough any more LOL

1 hour ago, TomCat said:

yea move that goal post.  You said it wouldnt compete at all.  Now it has to have the total package.  Beating it in Gaming performance aint good enough any more LOL

On the PC side, they need reasonable upscaling results to compete.  Because just running that Port Royale demo ballpark to where AMD could compete on price doesn’t account for the humongous FPS boost from DLSS in games themselves.

Yes, the terms of engagement have changed. Native performance metrics don’t matter nearly as much as practical use, with next-gen upscaling factored in.  That's something we should want for the consoles as well, for the doors it can open.

1 hour ago, TomCat said:

wasnt saying it ws a RT showcase. I was saying look how great it looks and its not even real Ray Tracing.  Its software Ray tracing for Global Ilumination

UE4's Screen Space GI can look good, but it has similar caveats to screen space reflections.  And while the technique is related to Raytraced GI, the technical undertaking of the later is on a different level.

Gears 5 is a solid looking game, especially with the new bells and whistles.  It's just not doubling down on future tech like the Raytracing showcases are.  I'm sure Gears 6 and other future MS fist party tittles will, but in the meantime it's going to come down to the 3rd parties to demonstrate the XSX's Raytracing capabilities in the AAA space, at least in the first 6 months to a year.  That is the better indication of where the console can take games visually in the future.

10 hours ago, Duderino said:

UE4's Screen Space GI can look good, but it has similar caveats to screen space reflections.  And while the technique is related to Raytraced GI, the technical undertaking of the later is on a different level.

Gears 5 is a solid looking game, especially with the new bells and whistles.  It's just not doubling down on future tech like the Raytracing showcases are.  I'm sure Gears 6 and other future MS fist party tittles will, but in the meantime it's going to come down to the 3rd parties to demonstrate the XSX's Raytracing capabilities in the AAA space, at least in the first 6 months to a year.  That is the better indication of where the console can take games visually in the future.

again  I never said its a Raytracing showpiece.  Ue4 doesnt support Real Raytracing. but for it to not be real raytracing it looks damn good thats all I'm saying

6 hours ago, TomCat said:

again  I never said its a Raytracing showpiece.  Ue4 doesnt support Real Raytracing. but for it to not be real raytracing it looks damn good thats all I'm saying

It is a showpiece for 120 fps for sure, and a good example of how screen space techniques can still be used in lieu of Raytracing when it is prohibitively expensive either due to a less perfomant implementation, the cost of raytracing what is on display, or if a game has other priorities.  No disagreements there.  

I'm just not sure why Gears 5 was brought up in response to the Raytracing claims.  The Coalition's XSX patch is a very different development track from games tackling Raytracing on the system right now.

19 hours ago, Duderino said:

It is a showpiece for 120 fps for sure, and a good example of how screen space techniques can still be used in lieu of Raytracing when it is prohibitively expensive either due to a less perfomant implementation, the cost of raytracing what is on display, or if a game has other priorities.  No disagreements there.  

I'm just not sure why Gears 5 was brought up in response to the Raytracing claims.  The Coalition's XSX patch is a very different development track from games tackling Raytracing on the system right now.

I think @TomCat's point was pretty self explanatory... he's saying how good Gears 5 looks and it's not even using real raytracing. His point is that other games that DO implement raytracing on the XSX will more than likely look better regardless of the level of implementation if a game that is using trickery to mimic actual raytracing can look this good. I don't even understand (or care about) all of this shit and I got what he was saying.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think @TomCat's point was pretty self explanatory... he's saying how good Gears 5 looks and it's not even using real raytracing. His point is that other games that DO implement raytracing on the XSX will more than likely look better regardless of the level of implementation if a game that is using trickery to mimic actual raytracing can look this good. I don't even understand (or care about) all of this shit and I got what he was saying.

Oh I fully understand what he is saying.  I just find it to be a disjointed point given how far removed screen space GI is from actual Raytraced GI.  One has little to no indication of how good the other can look or perform.  It's apples to oranges.

Right now where the XSX will land relative to nVidia's RT cards is still a bit of a mystery.  DF will hopefully shed more light on that soon.  Think it may surprise, but relative to what and by how much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Nothing breaking news in that Phil Spencer interview, and while it's certainly not surprising, I think this bit is telling:

Game Pass has become a fundamental part of Microsoft's identity going forward, and it's become a huge success on Android devices (through xCloud) and Windows 10 PC. Do you want to see it expand to Nintendo and PlayStation platforms? Is it "them" that is keeping the service from launching there, or are there any other challenges in regards to that?

I think for us it's all about priority, and reaching more players. So we went to PC first after Xbox, because there's just so many players there, globally, that don't own an Xbox, that we could go reach. We went to mobile next because there's a billion Android phones on the planet. It's significantly larger than any console player base. We still have iOS to go after, we will come to iOS at some point. We're still working on some of our technology on PC for larger screens in terms of streaming, and getting to iOS, and I think once we get through that, we look at what the other options are. There's smart TV's out there, there's Chromebooks out there, there's FireTV out there, there's a lot of discussions we would have, we would prioritize it based on where we would find the most new players, that we could naturally bring content to. I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry. I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions.

He's essentially saying that platforms beyond PC/Xbox can expect to be streaming platforms, which makes total sense.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Nothing breaking news in that Phil Spencer interview, and while it's certainly not surprising, I think this bit is telling:

He's essentially saying that platforms beyond PC/Xbox can expect to be streaming platforms, which makes total sense.

I think internally, they probably have the data that shows, 1/3 of all PlayStation and Switch owners own an Xbox, and probably something like 1/2 of Playstation/Switch owners own a gaming PC.  Or some metrics somewhere in that range of things.  So the people arguing about how many potential sales they might lose from keeping Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox Ecosystem is probably far smaller than whatever the PlayStation install base actually is.  

The potential upside of keeping games exclusive to Game Pass + Xbox and growing that subscription base probably far outweighs the publisher cut of sales they'd get releasing those games on PS5 taking that into consideration.

I really appreciated the bit in that interview about GAAS, where he essentially says that he thinks non-GAAS games are likely healthier for game pass overall because he doesn't want to be selling a WoW-like subscription for one game.  This is music to my ears, especially as the industry seems to be trending hard in that direction.  It remains to be seen how microtransactions and battle-pass bullshit will creep into next-gen, but that's a hopeful outlook for single-player games as far as game pass goes.

• Guillotine 1

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

Is there new headsets coming out for series x that are similar to the pulse headset for ps5? 

my kids or dogs broke my Lucidsound L35x. They were the best Xbox headset I’ve owned. Need to replace em. 

I don't think MS has announced any new first-party headsets aside from the Xbox ones they already have. But there are a lot of third party headsets that probably give you more bang for your buck anyway. I just picked up a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 a few weeks ago. It connects wirelessly directly to the Xbox and it was like, 80 bucks. It's obviously not the best quality out there, but for well less than a hundred bucks and wireless, it's pretty good.