Jump to content

Xbox Series X and S (10 November 2020) OT - Power Your Dreams


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, number305 said:

 

Microsoft is also going to soon release a web based version of xcloud for ios.  I'm not sure if they will lock that to ios devices... but even if they do it won't be long before someone finds a hack and has gamepass games running on a PS5.  But really that is all a win for Microsoft.  If they can get more gamepass subscriptions then that is exactly what they want.

 

Apple dug in their heels and won't allow cloud gaming services unless games are released as individual apps and they get a cut.  There was even a 3rd party browser that tried to get around it for Stadia that was just shut down.

The iOS app Microsoft just released two days ago, which I think you're referring to, focuses on directly streaming games from a device you own.  That seems to be the only thing Apple is okay with.

As for a PS5 hack to run streamed games from off-PS sources, that'd probably take a modded PS5 (whenever that's possible).  Same is true for Switch.  It's a niche audience, and one that opens the door to piracy anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

 

Apple dug in their heels and won't allow cloud gaming services unless games are released as individual apps and they get a cut.  There was even a 3rd party browser that tried to get around it for Stadia that was just shut down.

The iOS app Microsoft just released two days ago, which I think you're referring to, focuses on directly streaming games from a device you own.  That seems to be the only thing Apple is okay with.

As for a PS5 hack to run streamed games from off-PS sources, that'd probably take a modded PS5 (whenever that's possible).  Same is true for Switch.  It's a niche audience, and one that opens the door to piracy anyways.

 

MS has sounded confident that they are going to bypass any restrictions apple may put in place by making the whole thing a web app.  I guess I don't know if they have just been looking at streaming from the console or not.  If it is a web app I would think it would not be too hard to get running from any browser, including one in a console.  I guess my point is that If Microsoft could make it work as a backdoor to run on a PS5 they would probably be doing cartwheels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, number305 said:

 

MS has sounded confident that they are going to bypass any restrictions apple may put in place by making the whole thing a web app.  I guess I don't know if they have just been looking at streaming from the console or not.  If it is a web app I would think it would not be too hard to get running from any browser, including one in a console.  I guess my point is that If Microsoft could make it work as a backdoor to run on a PS5 they would probably be doing cartwheels.


I think Microsoft and Amazon will both run into issues of Apple trying to lock things up within in their mobile browser.  We'll see how it plays out.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
GearsTactics_BossBattle_3840X2160_final.
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

"There’s just so much hardware on PC."

 

Series X: 4k60fps
Series S: 1440p60fps
One X: 4K30fps or 1440p60fps
One S: 1080p30fps

 

Quote

The Series X will obviously run Gears Tactics better than the other consoles, but one big question I had was the relationship between the Xbox One X and Series S versions. The Series S is a next-gen console with similar CPU and SSD advances as the Series X, but unlike the One X, it doesn’t target 4K resolution, despite a GPU that’s roughly comparable in raw power. Given that both consoles can run the game at 1440p / 60fps, with an extra 4K / 30fps option on the One X, which is the better version?
 

“That’s a good question — it is better on the Series S,” says McRae. “It’s visually better — same resolution, same frame rate, but the CPU is so much better in the Series S and the Series X that we have a lot more ability to just draw more stuff. Even though the GPU is responsible for drawing, we still have to get it there off the CPU, and on the Xbox One X you’ll see that the visual quality is not quite as high as it is on the Series S in the performance mode.”


All still begs the question why the Series S doesn't have a 4k30 mode.  If the GPU was capable, it'd look better than the One X that way too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah but what about Xbox 360 media remotes?

Did the 360 remote work with the XBO? If so it should still work. I use a Harmony and am just glad they kept IR, I use my Xbox for Bluray/4k and using a controller is obnoxious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, number305 said:

Xbox next year may release a lower tier of game pass for streaming only that comes with a free streaming stick for your TV. 


Like an Amazon Firestick for streaming games. Yep. They should definitely do that. Especially if it can connect to your phone’s data. 
 

plug it in to any hotel Tv with a USB port, which is many of them now, and you’re good to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, crispy4000 said:


I think Microsoft and Amazon will both run into issues of Apple trying to lock things up within in their mobile browser.  We'll see how it plays out.
 

I don't know about Microsoft, but Amazon worked with the Safari team at Apple to get their full service to work as a web app.

 

Who's to say how well it works, but my expectation is that this is a middle ground they're happy with. They can tell governments "hey look, we helped this thing exist on our platform and kept our store rules in place." It's a good anti-trust defense and doesn't completely disallow the inevitable rise of game streaming on their devices.

 

My understanding is that the new Xbox iOS app allows for local streaming and the forthcoming xcloud web app will allow complete access to xcloud streaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Like an Amazon Firestick for streaming games. Yep. They should definitely do that. Especially if it can connect to your phone’s data. 
 

plug it in to any hotel Tv with a USB port, which is many of them now, and you’re good to go. 

This makes a lot of sense to me, but I also feel like it's a bit too soon. MS is still treating xCloud like an add-on to Gamepass, like streaming was to Netflix back in the day.

 

When xCloud is ready to stand on its own, I would think the time will be right for a stand alone streaming stick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Pikachu changed the title to Xbox Series X and S (10 November 2020) OT - Power Your Dreams

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...