Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Apple dug in their heels and won't allow cloud gaming services unless games are released as individual apps and they get a cut.  There was even a 3rd party browser that tried to get around it for Stadia that was just shut down.

The iOS app Microsoft just released two days ago, which I think you're referring to, focuses on directly streaming games from a device you own.  That seems to be the only thing Apple is okay with.

As for a PS5 hack to run streamed games from off-PS sources, that'd probably take a modded PS5 (whenever that's possible).  Same is true for Switch.  It's a niche audience, and one that opens the door to piracy anyways.

MS has sounded confident that they are going to bypass any restrictions apple may put in place by making the whole thing a web app.  I guess I don't know if they have just been looking at streaming from the console or not.  If it is a web app I would think it would not be too hard to get running from any browser, including one in a console.  I guess my point is that If Microsoft could make it work as a backdoor to run on a PS5 they would probably be doing cartwheels.

Just now, number305 said:

MS has sounded confident that they are going to bypass any restrictions apple may put in place by making the whole thing a web app.  I guess I don't know if they have just been looking at streaming from the console or not.  If it is a web app I would think it would not be too hard to get running from any browser, including one in a console.  I guess my point is that If Microsoft could make it work as a backdoor to run on a PS5 they would probably be doing cartwheels.

I think Microsoft and Amazon will both run into issues of Apple trying to lock things up within in their mobile browser.  We'll see how it plays out.

GearsTactics_BossBattle_3840X2160_final.
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

"There’s just so much hardware on PC."

Series X: 4k60fps
Series S: 1440p60fps
One X: 4K30fps or 1440p60fps
One S: 1080p30fps

The Series X will obviously run Gears Tactics better than the other consoles, but one big question I had was the relationship between the Xbox One X and Series S versions. The Series S is a next-gen console with similar CPU and SSD advances as the Series X, but unlike the One X, it doesn’t target 4K resolution, despite a GPU that’s roughly comparable in raw power. Given that both consoles can run the game at 1440p / 60fps, with an extra 4K / 30fps option on the One X, which is the better version?

“That’s a good question — it is better on the Series S,” says McRae. “It’s visually better — same resolution, same frame rate, but the CPU is so much better in the Series S and the Series X that we have a lot more ability to just draw more stuff. Even though the GPU is responsible for drawing, we still have to get it there off the CPU, and on the Xbox One X you’ll see that the visual quality is not quite as high as it is on the Series S in the performance mode.”

All still begs the question why the Series S doesn't have a 4k30 mode.  If the GPU was capable, it'd look better than the One X that way too.

5 hours ago, number305 said:

Xbox next year may release a lower tier of game pass for streaming only that comes with a free streaming stick for your TV. 

Like an Amazon Firestick for streaming games. Yep. They should definitely do that. Especially if it can connect to your phone’s data. 

plug it in to any hotel Tv with a USB port, which is many of them now, and you’re good to go. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, crispy4000 said:

I think Microsoft and Amazon will both run into issues of Apple trying to lock things up within in their mobile browser.  We'll see how it plays out.

I don't know about Microsoft, but Amazon worked with the Safari team at Apple to get their full service to work as a web app.

Who's to say how well it works, but my expectation is that this is a middle ground they're happy with. They can tell governments "hey look, we helped this thing exist on our platform and kept our store rules in place." It's a good anti-trust defense and doesn't completely disallow the inevitable rise of game streaming on their devices.

My understanding is that the new Xbox iOS app allows for local streaming and the forthcoming xcloud web app will allow complete access to xcloud streaming.

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Like an Amazon Firestick for streaming games. Yep. They should definitely do that. Especially if it can connect to your phone’s data. 

plug it in to any hotel Tv with a USB port, which is many of them now, and you’re good to go. 

This makes a lot of sense to me, but I also feel like it's a bit too soon. MS is still treating xCloud like an add-on to Gamepass, like streaming was to Netflix back in the day.

When xCloud is ready to stand on its own, I would think the time will be right for a stand alone streaming stick.

47 minutes ago, TomCat said:

man Time is almost here  Who's excited?   Ole TomCat is a Xbox Savant  Pretty much all my predictions about the X is coming true Despite what Crispy has to say

Still sticking to these?

Now my opinion of VRS is that it will improve framerates enough to where they can run Raytracing full boar and it wont effect framerates.

It will perform better then raytracing on the 2080.