Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

I get that but the screen grab says native 1800p on Series S. Wouldn't native be 1440p? Or upscaling considered native?

Just because they label it a 1440p machine doesn't mean that's it's max.  It just means that's realistically all people should expect most games to run on it.  Some should be able to be higher though, but many will probably to 1080p.

Dirt5_Preview_Screenshots13-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

A bleeding-edge Xbox Series X feature impresses, but it deserves a prettier game.

DiRT 5 includes three visual modes as options: "resolution," "frame rate," and "120 Hz." And all of the above complaints are compounded as you take each step toward lower detail.

In "resolution" mode, the game runs in an apparently uncapped frame rate; this bounces between 30fps and 60fps, which averages out to roughly 40fps. This mode's dynamic resolution maxes out near 2160p and falls as low as an apparent 1440p. (Compared to Xbox One's heavily aliased DiRT 4, the jump in resolution this time around is very appreciated.) Drop to DiRT 5's middle "frame rate" setting, and you'll see a mild hit to texture pop-in on the ground ahead of you, along with a noticeable hit to shadow pop-in in the near distance. Settings are otherwise mostly left intact, other than a dynamic resolution that scales down lower, while the frame rate gets close to, but doesn't lock to, 60fps.

The visual quality continues to dwindle when you take things all the way to 120fps mode, at which point major visual features disappear. The worst is an aggressive level-of-detail (LoD) downgrade for any elements near and above the race track. Mountains start to look less like mountains and more like college-grade assets purchased directly from the Unity development store. Tree-lined hillsides lose some trees. Cars lose polygonal detail and flourishes like grills. And the crowds of cheering fans sitting or standing by the road all disappear, even though the game's audio doesn't reflect this reality. (If you think fake crowds in pandemic sports games are bad enough, you ain't seen nothin'.)

Additionally, pop-in issues become much more apparent for both textures and shadows, and ambient occlusion is axed across the board. Those distant trees look weirder without a coat of accurate shadows, while ground textures look decidedly flat in this mode. Plus, its dynamic resolution appears to max out near the 1080p mark, dropping further during busy scenes.

9 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

It's Monday, time for new Xbox News.  I guess they had a midnight est. embargo on the latest vids.

dirt5-xboxseriesx-blogroll-1602271408484
WWW.IGN.COM

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night...

Are they really expecting "Next-gen wow factor" from a Codemasters game?

On 10/9/2020 at 1:23 PM, Xbob42 said:

Considering nvidia is lightyears ahead of AMD when it comes to machine learning, I'm not holding my breath, but maybe there's hope!

Tensor cores are awesome but where you really see their benefit is in the training phase. It's plausible the new AMD GPUs are perfectly fine for running upscaling nets. It's hard to evaluate these things on PC though because the other thing nvidia really has going for them in the ML space is highly optimized libraries and drivers and the benefits from that alone are huge. Conceivably consoles makers could overcome that limitation with their own software. 

So I'd agree, nothing certain but there is indeed hope and more so in the console space than the PC GPU space. 

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

...[Yakuza: Like a Dragon videos]

#BestLaunchGameEver

Man I really need to finish off judgement in the next few months. I might have to jump on this before playing other games in my Yakuza backlog to give me a break on the combat (love the combat but it gets a bit tiring when you play games back to to back).

I really hope people pick this game up for either platform.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Either Xbox or PC? Yeah I'll probably go with PC.

:troll:

It is on ps4 as well (with free ps5 update coming next year). Regardless of your poor troll I only care that someone buys the game period. :p

-edit-

I'm an old yakuza fan from the ps2 games. I've played the game across many platforms. :)

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It is on ps4 as well (with free ps5 update coming next year). Regardless of your poor troll I only care that someone buys the game period. :p

-edit-

I'm an old yakuza fan from the ps2 games. I've played the game across many platforms. :)

Well I wanted to get into the PS2 ones but it was around the time the ones on the PS3 were coming out so I bought those games instead and my hesitation paid off because in the end better versions for the first 2 came out anyway!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well I wanted to get into the PS2 ones but it was around the time the ones on the PS3 were coming out so I bought those games instead and my hesitation paid off because in the end better versions for the first 2 came out anyway!

Yeah the PS2 games were pretty hard to play even back then, Specially 1. So I'm quite happy they did Kiwami remakes of them. I also kind of wish they would do a kiwami remake of the two psp games. They were interesting in how they shook up the combat and gameplay (much like judgement) but they continue to age harshly as time goes on. =/

-edit-

Fun fact, first non sony release of a yakuza game was a Port of Yakuza 1&2 HD to the WiiU (original release was PS3). It bombed pretty hard which is why we still don't see yakuza games still on nintendo platforms. :p 

25 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah the PS2 games were pretty hard to play even back then, Specially 1. So I'm quite happy they did Kiwami remakes of them. I also kind of wish they would do a kiwami remake of the two psp games. They were interesting in how they shook up the combat and gameplay (much like judgement) but they continue to age harshly as time goes on. =/

-edit-

Fun fact, first non sony release of a yakuza game was a Port of Yakuza 1&2 HD to the WiiU (original release was PS3). It bombed pretty hard which is why we still don't see yakuza games still on nintendo platforms. :p 

Yeah I own the first two for PS2 and could never get into them. Soured me on the series even though it seemed like something I would be into.

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

Yeah but considering the studio who made it is former Evolution Studios guys who made the immensely beautiful DriveClub it's not a total stretch. 

Driveclub was a good looking game. I don't know if I would call it "immensely beautiful." Rain effects and nice lighting aside, the track detail was meh.

That said, the Digital Foundry video I watched after reading that IGN article gave a much better breakdown of the enhancements (as they do) and I'm now just kinda thinking Ryan McAffrey set his expectations a bit too high, because what DF showed looked pretty damn good.

Hell, knowing that this is the team of developers that made the Motorstorm series has me excited enough. I'm thinking there's a spiritual successor hiding in Dirt 5.

Seems a few big named titles still don't work on X. :|

-update-
I'm seeing people mention that MS said these games specifically are getting D1 patches to add support. Good but also still a bit concerning if there are other titles coming out this year that might not work at launch.

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I own the first two for PS2 and could never get into them. Soured me on the series even though it seemed like something I would be into.

I'd say give the series another go and probably jump in with Yakuza 0. It was a really good entry point for many to get back into the series. Judgement also is pretty good but a very slow start (but man the missions where you follow someone are annoying imo).

26 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Driveclub was a good looking game. I don't know if I would call it "immensely beautiful." Rain effects and nice lighting aside, the track detail was meh.

That said, the Digital Foundry video I watched after reading that IGN article gave a much better breakdown of the enhancements (as they do) and I'm now just kinda thinking Ryan McAffrey set his expectations a bit too high, because what DF showed looked pretty damn good.

Hell, knowing that this is the team of developers that made the Motorstorm series has me excited enough. I'm thinking there's a spiritual successor hiding in Dirt 5.

For an early gen PS4 title Driveclub still looks amazing and still looks better than a lot of games. I also saw the DF video for Dirt5 and I didn't find it looked very good at all. It looked like a meh XB1/PS4 racer. With that said I do hope at least the gameplay side is solid because the studio knows how to make a fun racer and that ultimately is what matters in the end. :thumbup:

I think they already stated that those preview units had limited compatibility, with some games like Gears 5 being back compat at first and then being removed after an update. It could be an OS thing, or it could be intentional to limit what they want the previewers to have access to. Or it could just be that they're still working on it. I guess we'll find out in November.

Microsoft has openly said they are slowly rolling out updates each week.  They want the coverage to be controlled so people aren't just showing everything all at once.  

This last week they added 200 more titles.  This weekend Dirt 5 and Yakuza.  Gonna keep adding more and more so there's new news each Monday.

Gears 5 is getting the enhanced version for XSX so I'm sure that's locked away, possibly also Halo.

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I think they already stated that those preview units had limited compatibility, with some games like Gears 5 being back compat at first and then being removed after an update. It could be an OS thing, or it could be intentional to limit what they want the previewers to have access to. Or it could just be that they're still working on it. I guess we'll find out in November.

I have seen other reviews say that they are limited on what they can play.  They are opening it up gradually.  These games will all be there at launch.  MS is intentionally focusing attention on certain games for preview each week.

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Anybody here play Fallout: New Vegas BC? I was talking to someone and they mentioned it has some major glitches? It was one of the games i wanted to finally play after i eventually get a series X so it bummed me out when he told me that.

I played some of it, had no issues. I did want to revisit it eventually, as I always hear it's one of the best in the series.