Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Don’t do me dirty, Best Buy. :pray:

Best Buy has always been fantastic for shipping games and consoles so that they arrive to your house the day they officially release.  I always prefer pre-ordering from them due to their consistent shipping speeds and reward points.  

Just now, vaxick said:

Best Buy has always been fantastic for shipping games and consoles so that they arrive to your house the day they officially release.  I always prefer pre-ordering from them due to their consistent shipping speeds and reward points.  

I just hope they didn’t over sell. If they didn’t, I’m not worried about anything else. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
xbox-ikea-dan-2.jpg
WWW.CNET.COM

We tried life-size console mockups in everything from a Hemnes to a Kallax to a Fjallbo.

Ouch, looks like they discontinued my TV stand from them.  It was the last of the deep television stands.  Game consoles, Blu ray players, etc will fit fine in most Ikea units, but they're all so shallow now, you'll be out of luck if you use a receiver since it'll either hang off the back, or you'll need to cut/remove the false wall in the back for cable space.  

On 9/25/2020 at 7:12 PM, atom631 said:

I just got an email from Amazon that stated I may not receive my console on launch day due to high demand. So basically, Amazon oversold the preorders. Fantastic. 

I know others covered this but I just wanted to add as well. This is normal and happen even back for the PS4/XBO/PS4Pro/XOX launches. This is primarily due to the volume of units that retail will be able to process and ship out in time to meet the requirements for shipping companies to pick up and deliver for a user to recieve on launch day. It does not mean they oversold their preorders, Retail knows a rough idea of how many units they are getting but final count doesn't come till they get shipped to them.

On PS4 launch I had a few pre-orders (one was for me and others went to coworkers who had issues getting one). Of those 1 came launch day and the others came over the next few days. One was because by the time it got processed to go out was too late for same day delivery by the post where the first one got done before the cutoff to still make delivery that day. 

I should also add that console manufactures are very strict, so retailers can not process orders in advance because they don't want the possible chance of some people getting units before launch day even though retailers will have their stock days/week in advance. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 5:53 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

The 2000 series cards offered limited HDMI 2.1 VRR support.  Because of bandwidth limitations with their HDMI ports, there wasn't full support of all resolutions/frame rates.

All Freesync monitors are supported via Displayport, whether they meet the minimum requirement or not [there is no support of Freesync over HDMI].  All HDMI 2.1 VRR compatible displays are supported via HDMI.  If a display supports one of those standards, you can still use VRR by turning on "G-Sync" in your driver, regardless of whether Nvidia has deemed it worthy through it's "G-Sync Compatible" certification.

I may be coming off as a dick here -- but I think it is an important point -- particularly as (I hope) VRR becomes the norm.  IMHO, Nvidia has been "murky" on what "G-Sync Compatible" means.  There are a group of people that believes that somehow "G-Sync Compatible" displays and displays that are using HDMI 2.1 VRR are somehow using a different software/technology.  If you read the press releases, software release notes, and announcements from Nvidia/LG -- it's pretty clear that they aren't.  It's just marketing bullshit. 

The only real difference between the Samsung and LG implementation of VRR is whether they paid Nvidia for certification [in reality, I don't know if they paid for certification, but I strongly suspect that display manufacturers have to pay for certification -- perhaps Nvidia does it for free, and Samsung just failed the tests].  I feel it's an important distinction to make, and this will get more important as more TVs support VRR in the coming years.

8-C6-B6525-70-A0-4-B85-B6-AA-2-BA372-D63

You’re wrong, it’s still called G-SYNC. It’s one of the 3 tiers nVidia lists as G-SYNC. If you really think it’s wrong to call it G-SYNC, please contact your local LG and nVidia representatives. 

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Moving a 50gb game from an external 3.0 SSD to the Internal SSD takes 2 minutes.

It took 7:30 to move from external HDD to Internal SSD.

Still not sure if I want to drop $220 at launch for the external SSD just yet. I rather spend that at games if I can. It's good to hear that transferring games takes a lot less time than I initially thought. I was thinking I would have to wait like 10-15 min. 2 min is crazy fast.

1 minute ago, The def star said:

Still not sure if I want to drop $220 at launch for the external SSD just yet. I rather spend that at games if I can. It's good to hear that transferring games takes a lot less time than I initially thought. I was thinking I would have to wait like 10-15 min. 2 min is crazy fast.

I also edited in, loading from an external SSD took 10 seconds on Series X compared to 30 seconds on the One X.  So that'd be nice not to have to worry about moving in older games to the internal if it gets the majority of the load time improvements.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Games with >30fps modes that didn't stick the 60fps landing will get the biggest boost out of the box.

Curious what games this gen might actually be running uncapped.

There are lots. I think the Witcher 3 had an uncapped mode. Hitman 1 & 2 did also. Good to see that this will mean that those games will hit their highest framerate.

1 minute ago, The def star said:

Oh I thought you meant uncapped as in games let you play games up to 60fps but didn't guarantee that it would hit 60fps. This is the option in Hitman 2 on Xbox One X. Checking the Witcher 3.

hitman-fps.png

Yeah.  More something I'd expect from devs super interested in VRR screens this gen, or Japanese and indie devs that didn't know better. :p (sounds like DOA wasn't one of them)