Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

20 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Surprised that all of these early versions for the Series X are worse than the PS5. 

It makes sense when you realize that the PS5 versions have been in development for a year and the Series X development tools were only finalized this past summer. I don't expect this to last moving forward, but it's terrible PR for MS who supposedly have the more powerful console

The Dirt 5 dev said they were only using 5ms of the 8ms for 120fps mode, so he had a lot of overhead still on the XSX.  He said he simply needed more time to learn the GPU.  So ya not sure if its a bug or something else happening.

The Dirt 5 dev said they had a hard time testing 120hz mode as well because no one on the team had 4k120hz screens initially.

I haven't tested the 120hz stuff yet on my Xbox due to the fact I run stuff through splitters and a capture card.  I will at some point try to test it out though.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It makes sense when you realize that the PS5 versions have been in development for a year and the Series X development tools were only finalized this past summer. I don't expect this to last moving forward, but it's terrible PR for MS who supposedly have the more powerful console

SeX is largely a DirectX box running on a custom version of Windows 10 -- I'm not sure that it is that much harder to develop for.  By specs, it should have a 15-20% performance advantage (potentially more given how Sony is handling GPU frequency) -- yet the comparisons I have seen all have the PS5 version superior to the SeX version.  It could be that Sony's console is just more efficient at using its GPU, and the MS power advantage won't materialize in better performance this gen.

37 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

SeX is largely a DirectX box running on a custom version of Windows 10 -- I'm not sure that it is that much harder to develop for.  By specs, it should have a 15-20% performance advantage (potentially more given how Sony is handling GPU frequency) -- yet the comparisons I have seen all have the PS5 version superior to the SeX version.  It could be that Sony's console is just more efficient at using its GPU, and the MS power advantage won't materialize in better performance this gen.

Well RDNA 2 cards are literally just hitting the market, and essentially no cross gen games are using any of the new techniques they implemented to improve efficiency.  I think Dirt 5 dev said they used VRS, but didn't have enough time with the new dev kits to explore the other new techniques.  He also said they had a lot of overhead to play with at the 120fps mode, but still were learning the GPU on Xbox.  Ultimately this is why having a 1st Party showcase piece is so important, to show would can be possible when you are using these tools to try to get more out of your hardware, and MS dropped the ball big time there.

I don't have the PS5 yet, but Demon Souls seems to be the showcase piece so far at least from screen shots.  And even that doesn't utilize Ray Tracing and other next gen effects at all.  Spiderman I've heard doesn't look very next gen while playing.  I've heard Godfall is really pretty but hard to judge from screenshots as it doesn't look that impressive to me.

It's just a really hard year to totally judge anything given how Covid may have impacted game development, and learning new tools on top of developing Launch games for so many sku's.

On top of all this, I've gone back to launch CoD Ghosts, BF4, Dead Rising 3, and a few other Xbox One launch titles, and man were they ugly. It seems we all sometimes forget just how poorly launch games typically perform compared to games even a year later.  Launching CoD Advanced Warfare and the performance differences from a graphics standpoint were night and day.  Putting that into perspective and adding in Covid and working from home on top of it, I'm not too worried about the performance of either next gen console.  I think both in a years time will be putting out insanely beautiful games.

I find it super weird that so many devs are claiming that they didn't have access to 4k 120hz displays. I understand that in regards to TVs, as many manufacturers just started to "unlock" those hdmi 2.1 features via firmware in the past 8-10 weeks, but why couldn't they use PC monitors that were 4k and 120hz? Obviously, they'd need to go with non-HDR ones or go broke... but, still :confused: 

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

Might be part of the xCloud integration, which is coming to W10 soon I believe.

I hope so, just weird that you can't use the console companion app in the meantime. I wanted to play Valhalla on my PC monitor while my fiancé watches TV. I could just use my tablet, but I'd prefer using the larger screen of my monitor. :/ 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I hope so, just weird that you can't use the console companion app in the meantime. I wanted to play Valhalla on my PC monitor while my fiancé watches TV. I could just use my tablet, but I'd prefer using the larger screen of my monitor. :/ 

Yeah it is odd.  Found it odd they didn't have xCloud working on Windows 10 like immediately, seemed like it'd be one of the easiest implementations of it.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah it is odd.  Found it odd they didn't have xCloud working on Windows 10 like immediately, seemed like it'd be one of the easiest implementations of it.

I wonder if I can just run an Android emulator app and stream from the XBOX app on it through my PC? :p 

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Well RDNA 2 cards are literally just hitting the market, and essentially no cross gen games are using any of the new techniques they implemented to improve efficiency.  I think Dirt 5 dev said they used VRS, but didn't have enough time with the new dev kits to explore the other new techniques.  He also said they had a lot of overhead to play with at the 120fps mode, but still were learning the GPU on Xbox.  Ultimately this is why having a 1st Party showcase piece is so important, to show would can be possible when you are using these tools to try to get more out of your hardware, and MS dropped the ball big time there.

I don't have the PS5 yet, but Demon Souls seems to be the showcase piece so far at least from screen shots.  And even that doesn't utilize Ray Tracing and other next gen effects at all.  Spiderman I've heard doesn't look very next gen while playing.  I've heard Godfall is really pretty but hard to judge from screenshots as it doesn't look that impressive to me.

It's just a really hard year to totally judge anything given how Covid may have impacted game development, and learning new tools on top of developing Launch games for so many sku's.

On top of all this, I've gone back to launch CoD Ghosts, BF4, Dead Rising 3, and a few other Xbox One launch titles, and man were they ugly. It seems we all sometimes forget just how poorly launch games typically perform compared to games even a year later.  Launching CoD Advanced Warfare and the performance differences from a graphics standpoint were night and day.  Putting that into perspective and adding in Covid and working from home on top of it, I'm not too worried about the performance of either next gen console.  I think both in a years time will be putting out insanely beautiful games.

That wasn't my point.  Both PS5/SeX have very similar RDNA2/Zen2 AMD APUs -- the narrative that SeX is the "most powerful" console on the planet and the best console to play multiplatform games, so far at least, not manifested in the real world results.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I find it super weird that so many devs are claiming that they didn't have access to 4k 120hz displays. I understand that in regards to TVs, as many manufacturers just started to "unlock" those hdmi 2.1 features via firmware in the past 8-10 weeks, but why couldn't they use PC monitors that were 4k and 120hz? Obviously, they'd need to go with non-HDR ones or go broke... but, still :confused: 

It seems a bit fishy. Also the 120 fps has been one of selling points so why release it in a 1/2 baked state, just release it in a patch in a few weeks when its ready.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think we could see that 15-20% advantage on paper manifest with games that have really excellent CU utilization and limited GPU idle time.  Further improvements Microsoft makes to the API will help, but I suspect developers will have an equal part role to play in getting there.

Results that favor the PS5 right now could come down to the higher clocked CUs counteracting some bottlenecks and game inefficiencies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Covid is why. Normally devs & testers would have access to such tv/monitor at the office but not all of them are going to have one at home to work with. Not to mention I'm sure access to devkits was a pain in the ass as well (for launch they tend to be limited/scarce). So i'm not entirely surprised.

37 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Covid is why. Normally devs & testers would have access to such tv/monitor at the office but not all of them are going to have one at home to work with. Not to mention I'm sure access to devkits was a pain in the ass as well (for launch they tend to be limited/scarce). So i'm not entirely surprised.

Ah, that makes more sense. I forgot a lot of these games were probably developed remotely.

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Series controllers are on sale for $40

RE4GOMY?ver=97e3&m=6&w=120&h=120&n=t&q=6
WWW.MICROSOFT.COM

Experience the modernized Xbox Wireless Controller, designed for enhanced comfort during gameplay for supported consoles, PCs...

Better link:

RE4Fovw?ver=44d8&m=6&w=120&h=120&n=t&q=6
WWW.MICROSOFT.COM

Experience the new Xbox Wireless Controller, designed for enhanced comfort during gameplay. Available in Robot White, Carbon Black, and Shock Blue.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Better link:

RE4Fovw?ver=44d8&m=6&w=120&h=120&n=t&q=6
WWW.MICROSOFT.COM

Experience the new Xbox Wireless Controller, designed for enhanced comfort during gameplay. Available in Robot White, Carbon Black, and Shock Blue.

This is the same thing, right? Checking because I need to go pick something else up from Best Buy today anyhow, but am surprised it's already listing an open box deal. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-controller-for-xbox-series-x-xbox-series-s-and-xbox-one-latest-model-carbon-black/6430655.p?skuId=6430655

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is the same thing, right? Checking because I need to go pick something else up from Best Buy today anyhow, but am surprised it's already listing an open box deal. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-controller-for-xbox-series-x-xbox-series-s-and-xbox-one-latest-model-carbon-black/6430655.p?skuId=6430655

Yup. The different dpad is how you can quickly tell if it’s the new controller :santasun: 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Digital Foundry got something wrong? Will they correct the error?

No, I think they had it right.  Just posting because the Dev confirmed it will be fixed in a patch.  Seems they had the XSX loading in the wrong assets instead of the  higher quality assets.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, Duderino said:

I think we could see that 15-20% advantage on paper manifest with games that have really excellent CU utilization and limited GPU idle time.  Further improvements Microsoft makes to the API will help, but I suspect developers will have an equal part role to play in getting there.

Results that favor the PS5 right now could come down to the higher clocked CUs counteracting some bottlenecks and game inefficiencies.

the reason why the ps5 is running neck and neck with the series X right now is do to clock speed and Sony's version of infinity cache.  The last gen games benifits  from the higher clocks of the gpu and the cache benefits from the increased speed also.   NONE of these launch games are using velocity Ar.  once they do then you will start seeing the diffrence.  Remember series X will have feature parity with the top of the line AMD. Card   WHICH JUST RELEASED.  So of course its going to take awhile for Dev. to properly utilize them

56 minutes ago, TomCat said:

the reason why the ps5 is running neck and neck with the series X right now is do to clock speed and Sony's version of infinity cache.  The last gen games benifits  from the higher clocks of the gpu and the cache benefits from the increased speed also.   NONE of these launch games are using velocity Ar.  once they do then you will start seeing the diffrence.  Remember series X will have feature parity with the top of the line AMD. Card   WHICH JUST RELEASED.  So of course its going to take awhile for Dev. to properly utilize them

You're right that it will take developers time to properly utilize the hardware, as with the PS5 and its own idiosyncrasies.  But it's incorrect to claim that no launch games are tapping into the Velocity Architecture.  At the very least, it's contributing to decreased load times and texture decompression in the here and now.

I held the pairing button on the controller for 3 seconds and the Xbox logo is flashing but my computer can't find it in the add bluetooth devices menu? :confused: Does the bluetooth dongle on my PC need to be a minimum bluetooth version or something? My phone is able to find it immediately and I've always been able to connect devices to my PC without an issue despite having a pretty old bluetooth dongle.

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

I held the pairing button on the controller for 3 seconds and the Xbox logo is flashing but my computer can't find it in the add bluetooth devices menu? :confused: Does the bluetooth dongle on my PC need to be a minimum bluetooth version or something? My phone is able to find it immediately and I've always been able to connect devices to my PC without an issue despite having a pretty old bluetooth dongle.

I plug mine in with USB cords so I can just ignore this issue completely.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I plug mine in with USB cords so I can just ignore this issue completely.

If I was going to keep using a USB connection I would have just stuck with the 360 controller I've been using for the past 15 years. There's nothing objectively wrong with it but I wanted an upgrade.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Anyhow this is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W4TZSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Amazon says I bought it in 2011. Like I said, I've never had a problem before with getting other bluetooth devices connected to my PC using this, but it seems like the most obvious culprit here I guess?

That is a pretty old version of bluetooth. They are up to v5 now.  I can only confirm connecting my controller to v4.

14 hours ago, TomCat said:

Sony having a specialized Infinity Cache configuration that is not standard to the core RDNA2 feature set sounds very speculative.  Not saying it’s impossible, but I’m not going to entertain this possibility without concrete evidence.

No doubt the Velocity architecture is going to assist future XSX titles, but whether or not it addresses the exact bottlenecks giving the PS5 a slight edge right now is up in the air.  Given how close the two platforms perform currently, I do think it's possible for futute driver + api optimizations to tip the scale in the XSX's direction.  Whether or not that happens though, who knows.  I certainly don't have the inside scoop from MS engineers.  Can't imagine you do either.

I'm really enjoying the performance boost on Xbox One X enhanced games while playing on the Series X. I'm hoping that Microsoft continues to work on getting patches to increase performance and particularly getting solid 60FPS as often as possible. I feel like 60fps is the sweet spot between framerate and overall image fidelity for these machines.