Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

1 minute ago, SoberChef said:

Information that I still need prior to pulling the trigger on a preorder next Tuesday:

• Going with the $35/month option - where exactly does this money go? To Target/Best Buy/Gamestop/Amazon etc. where I purchase the console from directly or is it financed through MS instead?
  • If I preorder via the store website & opt for it to be shipped, will it arrive on November 10th at my door or will I have to wait days after launch (especially with how the postal service is shit at the moment?)
  • What about my current external 4 TB HDD? Will it work with the new console? Also, what about current gen headphones? Are there any 3rd party options launching day & date or within the window that haven't yet been announced?

1 - It's a 3rd Party Financing Company.  

^With approval of Citizens One Line of Credit at 0% APR and 24-month term. Subject to individual credit approval.

2 - No clue about shipping, but I'd assume it will still be a Day 1 thing just like a regular pre-order.

3 - ALL accessories that work on the Xbox One work on Xbox Series X/S.  Controllers, external HDs, just about everything.  The External HD won't be able to play next gen games off of it, but it'll be recognized for BC and can transfer titles back and forth.

• Like 1

@JPDunks4first of all, thanks & I love you!

Has Microsoft come out stating why exactly external HDD won't be able to play next gen titles? Is is strictly because they want their own proprietary insertable 1 TB card for the back slot to be the only thing to do so? Seems...odd. Also, sort of puts a damper on the titles in which will have Series X upgrades if you can only access them through the internal storage then.

Just now, SoberChef said:

Has Microsoft come out stating why exactly external HDD won't be able to play next gen titles? Is is strictly because they want their own proprietary insertable 1 TB card for the back slot to be the only thing to do so? Seems...odd. Also, sort of puts a damper on the titles in which will have Series X upgrades if you can only access them through the internal storage then.

Because Velocity Architecture is going to be a necessary part of designing games for next gen.  Same way PS5's SSD is using new tech to run games. 

The file sizes, and ways the consoles run games will fundamentally be different when playing off the SSDs. 

9 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

It uses an NVME drive to play games and it seems games will only run off of this drive.

4 hours ago, SoberChef said:

It’s not that big of a deal, really. You can store games on other external HDDs or SSDs, just not play from them. 

So yo can just move the game file from the internal SSD to your external when you’re “finished” with a game. And then if you want to replay it, just move the game back to the internal. 

I do this now with an external HDD and SSD.  Anything I am actively playing I put on the SSD, and anything I am done with or just won’t play again for a long while I move back to the external HDD. 

it’s not that big a deal really. It’s far faster than redownloading the game. 

p-1-90551216-exclusive-inside-the-design
WWW.FASTCOMPANY.COM

We talk to Microsoft’s design team about crafting its upcoming generation of consoles.

“We’d started out in the [2013] holiday doing well. There was so much pent-up demand that our supply was outstripped. You come out of the gate and everyone is selling out of what they can make,” says Spencer. “Then in the next year you see the natural trajectory of where you’re going and the competition is going.” Microsoft’s trajectory didn’t keep up with Sony’s. Seven years later, even while the Xbox division is a multibillion-dollar, profitable business for Microsoft, the PS4 still outsold the Xbox One roughly 2:1.

“More important to me than any of the product stuff or business stuff was where my team was at. The Xbox team, being transparent, had lost some confidence as to why we were there,” says Spencer. “Were we building products for our reasons or our customer’s reasons? Was our ambition as a company outstripping what our customers wanted to see from our product?”

I haven't had a chance to read all this yet, but seems like it'll be a good read.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did we ever find out exactly what PS5's "boost mode" will entail?

Same as PS4 Pro boost mode. It just unlocks higher clock speeds instead of downclocking to the same speed that PS4 runs at. 

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Boost-Mode-for-PS4-Pro?language=en_US#:~:text=Intro to Boost Mode on,Pro on November 10%2C 2016.

In some games it helps smooth out the framerate and allows games to not drop down their internal resolution when things get intense. For other games it does fuck all. 

• Thanks 1

All of the recent PS5 information has made me realize how strong Microsoft's position may be going into this next generation.  The expense of new games, controllers, and consoles makes Game Pass that much more appealing.  Couple that with it being the most powerful possible way to play the majority of games on consoles, and I'm thinking that an Xbox is a much more solid proposition than it has been for years.  Sony will of course have a handful of dynamite exclusives, but big picture wise, an Xbox Series X may be a savvier purchase.  I don't really need a console at launch, but the past several days has me thinking much harder about what I'll eventually get.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've only played this on PC so loading times were really not a thing, in fact faster than that trailer but didn't realize it took nearly a minute on consoles. Yikes!

Yeah, I had faster load times on a SATA SSD than the example there. I thought the same thing with the comparison they had back in the spring too. There must be something with how the game is packaged on Xbox that even with an NVME drive 5 times faster it still loads slower than my PC.

56 minutes ago, jaethos said:

Yeah, I had faster load times on a SATA SSD than the example there. I thought the same thing with the comparison they had back in the spring too. There must be something with how the game is packaged on Xbox that even with an NVME drive 5 times faster it still loads slower than my PC.

This example is also just running back compatibility mode with no update to the game to take advantage of Velocity Architecture.

Some games have dreadful load times on consoles these days.

Yeah, that’s just showing how simply moving to faster storage with the same executable improves load times. I’m sure there are improvements that could be made to the game running on Series S/X that would further improve loading.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, that’s just showing how simply moving to faster storage with the same executable improves load times. I’m sure there are improvements that could be made to the game running on Series S/X that would further improve loading.

Oh I'm certain games built for it will be much faster, I just wonder what it is about Xbox One games that make them load comparatively slowly (to PC) even when using the SSD of the Series... uh, series of Xbox.

7 hours ago, jaethos said:

Oh I'm certain games built for it will be much faster, I just wonder what it is about Xbox One games that make them load comparatively slowly (to PC) even when using the SSD of the Series... uh, series of Xbox.

Likely has something to do with (I’m assuming) the emulation. 
*I know it’s not full blown emulation like getting 360 games to run, but I’d wager that there’s some type of software-based trickery to make Xbone games think they’re on an Xbone and not a XSX/XSS, which ultimately slows it down a bit (vs if it were native).

55 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Sounds like doubling the framerate of older games may not be all that difficult.

Looking forward to more details on all of this 

For existing Xbox One games at least.  Not expecting prior gens, but it’d be a happy surprise.

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The spin now is those devs are all trash. Bethesda is washed up. It’s crazy. 

It's hilarious to see some of the spin.

When rumors of Sony signing HUGE 3rd party deals for exclusivity, people were going crazy about it being Star Field or a new Elder Scrolls.

Now that Microsoft bought all that up, they are all trash.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

No one's saying that here right?  Other than Fallout and Elder Scrolls games always being buggy, but that's almost endearing.  Except when it's Fallout 76.

wqkec.jpg

Nah D1P is always a much more rational place to discuss these things.  Even when people disagree or have their preferences, it stays civil and reasonable.

Twitter on the other hand....