Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

31 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Putting that on my list of games to play thank you!

General consensus was it wasn't a good Banjo game, because it was such a departure gameplay wise from the traditional platformer.

But as a stand alone game, it was actually pretty innovative with basically having a Lego type format to build vehicles from scratch with engines and other parts, and having to complete stages by building various forms of vehicles.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Xbox Series X and S (10 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: lengthy Kotaku interview with Phil Spencer posted

So big Rumor alert here...

On Twitter, a lot of people are speculating some kind of possible Microsoft + Valve Partnership.  Could it be working together on a game.  Some kind of Steam on Xbox thing.  Who knows, but recently Microsoft posted this teaser on one of their Twitters.  Those coordinates are New Zealand.  Someone on Twitter said they are working on something related to this, and their Twitter Bio said they are working on a secret new studio, to be revealed Oct 30th.

Gabe Newell has been in New Zealand when Covid hit, and has talked about moving Valve to New Zealand.  

Then on Geoff Keighly's Zoom call, he had Phil Spencer and Gabe Newell both on.  I guess they did some other interview as well that is currently NDA.

So what do we think,  Microsoft entering into a strategic partnership with Steam/Valve, as an answer to Sony doing a deal with Epic?

Maybe Microsoft working with them on a new game for Steam and Xbox?

Nothing happening, just coincidences?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Xbox Series X and S (10 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: Halo: The Master Chief Collection optimized for XSX|S coming Nov 17

I would like to see MS and Valve work on an Quest competitor. I can’t do wired VR after going Quest, and Quest 2 is a great step forward. Would love to see an even larger leap, something designed around wireless but with the processing being on the PC/Xbox.

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would like to see MS and Valve work on an Quest competitor. I can’t do wired VR after going Quest, and Quest 2 is a great step forward. Would love to see an even larger leap, something designed around wireless but with the processing being on the PC/Xbox.

Phil did say the reason he wasn't pursuing VR on Xbox was because of the tech being limited to wired headsets at the time.  I wonder if the success of the Quest, and the work they are doing with game streaming, might mean they have a viable solution to the wired issue.

46 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

If they Hypothetically turned the XSX into a Steam Box, would that mean Horizon Zero Dawn can be played on Xbox?

Could Sony block that?

Maybe. But really I only meant games that exist on both platforms. Like Cyberpunk for example. I want to buy it on PC but I also want to play it on my couch and those two are mutually exclusive at the moment.

37 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Maybe. But really I only meant games that exist on both platforms. Like Cyberpunk for example. I want to buy it on PC but I also want to play it on my couch and those two are mutually exclusive at the moment.

Microsoft has had the Play Anywhere program, but its through the Windows Store, and not many 3rd party companies have supported it.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Microsoft has had the Play Anywhere program, but its through the Windows Store, and not many 3rd party companies have supported it.

Yeah. That's exactly my point :P I wish more did. I don't know how it would work without the other 3rd parties' consent but I'd love to play my Steam games through the Xbox if I'm in the mood.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's already being played on a Microsoft system. There's nothing to block anymore.

We've seen publishers pull out of cloud-based Steam game streaming with GeForce Now.  Streaming a local PC seems to not cross any boundaries.

As for an Xbox hypothetically running all Steam games directly, Sony could leave the platform same way that EA once did.  It wouldn't make Horizon unplayable, but would probably damper their desire to put games on Steam in the future.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

We've seen publishers pull out of cloud-based Steam game streaming with GeForce Now.  Streaming a local PC seems to not cross any boundaries.

As for an Xbox hypothetically running all Steam games directly, Sony could leave the platform same way that EA once did.  It wouldn't make Horizon unplayable, but would probably damper their desire to put games on Steam in the future.

Microsoft is also going to soon release a web based version of xcloud for ios.  I'm not sure if they will lock that to ios devices... but even if they do it won't be long before someone finds a hack and has gamepass games running on a PS5.  But really that is all a win for Microsoft.  If they can get more gamepass subscriptions then that is exactly what they want.

3 hours ago, number305 said:

Microsoft is also going to soon release a web based version of xcloud for ios.  I'm not sure if they will lock that to ios devices... but even if they do it won't be long before someone finds a hack and has gamepass games running on a PS5.  But really that is all a win for Microsoft.  If they can get more gamepass subscriptions then that is exactly what they want.

Apple dug in their heels and won't allow cloud gaming services unless games are released as individual apps and they get a cut.  There was even a 3rd party browser that tried to get around it for Stadia that was just shut down.

The iOS app Microsoft just released two days ago, which I think you're referring to, focuses on directly streaming games from a device you own.  That seems to be the only thing Apple is okay with.

As for a PS5 hack to run streamed games from off-PS sources, that'd probably take a modded PS5 (whenever that's possible).  Same is true for Switch.  It's a niche audience, and one that opens the door to piracy anyways.