Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

19 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

I'm towards the end of act 3 and I love this game so much. It has so much of what I love in an open world video game. The way it opens up section by section keeps my collector/explorer itch in check without overwhelmingly having everything open at once. The story is fantastic and I love that it's not a choose your dialogue crap. I get to experience the narrative of Jin and his friends. I completed every tale i the game and the friends tales are so well done. and NO FETCH QUESTS!

The gameplay is fun as heck. I feel like such a bad ass every time I challenge a group of enemies. Act 3 definitely has me using stealth more though as the enemies definitely got harder but even then I'm loving it. I find myself using all the tools available for such a versatile and fun way to take on a camp. The little nuances in the swordplay to the stances, it all feels so good. The organic way to explore with no mini map, the wind, foxes and birds is so amazing and refreshing. It's going to be hard to play another AC after this. So many QOL improvements over any AC game.

It's a nearly perfect experience for me, held back slightly by the camera that takes a bit to get used to and the lack of load outs. I find myself only using a handful of charms because they become tedious to switch. And switching my armor every few minutes is also slightly annoying but thankfully it's quick. Overall, this is one of the top games I've played in my life. Definitely top 5.

edit: Also, I have never in my life taken so many in game screenshots. The environment is gorgeous and I love just watching the wind blow through the trees, maybe play the flute or sometimes just practice sword combos which sheathing and unsheathing my sword. The music is also incredible from the serene exploration music to the thumping drum beats of battle.

I've joked that this is really a game to enhance photography skills that has a sweeping samurai/Mongol invasion mini-game in between.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:16 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

You did the entire game on foot too, right? Didn't use the horse or fast travel much?

Most on foot, yeah, didn't care for the horse much. But I fast traveled the hell out of the game :)

Finished it this weekend and this might actually be one of my favorite games this console generation. I couldn't stop playing, when I eventually passed out and woke up the next day, my first thought was "when can I start again!". This is the first game i've actually platinum'd on the Playstation...i've even completed all the collections that didn't give trophies (artifacts, banners, etc) just because I didn't want to stop playing. I've now done everything and anything possible to do in the game and find myself actually sad - because I'm done with it :cry:

I've never hoped for DLC for a game more than I do with this one, because I can't wait to go back to Tsushima!

3 hours ago, ARZ said:

Finished it this weekend and this might actually be one of my favorite games this console generation. I couldn't stop playing, when I eventually passed out and woke up the next day, my first thought was "when can I start again!". This is the first game i've actually platinum'd on the Playstation...i've even completed all the collections that didn't give trophies (artifacts, banners, etc) just because I didn't want to stop playing. I've now done everything and anything possible to do in the game and find myself actually sad - because I'm done with it :cry:

I've never hoped for DLC for a game more than I do with this one, because I can't wait to go back to Tsushima!

I just finished and got the platinum too and feel the exact same way! When I replay I will definitely pace myself a bit more. I entered act 3 with almost everything already at max which only left exploration in that act. I'm debating if I should replay on lethal or wait for a NG+. :thinking:

Ending spoiler:

Spoiler

I found myself getting slightly emotional at the confrontation with the uncle at the end. I chose to give him a warrior's death but checked youtube for the other ending and I'm amazed that both endings make sense and are equally beautiful/sad. This game truly was a masterpiece to me.

The ghost armor dye you get for the platinum trophy is SICK but I had nothing left to do in game so it made me sad. lol

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, ARZ said:

Finished it this weekend and this might actually be one of my favorite games this console generation. I couldn't stop playing, when I eventually passed out and woke up the next day, my first thought was "when can I start again!". This is the first game i've actually platinum'd on the Playstation...i've even completed all the collections that didn't give trophies (artifacts, banners, etc) just because I didn't want to stop playing. I've now done everything and anything possible to do in the game and find myself actually sad - because I'm done with it 

Same, just did all trophies, platinum'd, and got all in-game collectibles and items too. I had no idea about the bowing mechanic for one trophy. The only thing I didn't do was buy absolutely every dye for every item, but I got most of them. I did like that when you finally do everything in-game, the game gives you one last message which was cool.

Great game, and they took all the good things from Infamous: Second Son and expanded on them whilst fixing everything that was problematic in that game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Just beat it. Top 5 games this gen for me. Absolutely terrific game! 

Most users agree with you Ghost of Tsushima is the highest rated game of the generation. 

I have been tracking this for a while now, but I am ready to make a declarative statement: According to the maths, the recent release of Ghost of Tsushima is the most fan-beloved game of the entire generation, at least according to Metacritic’s User Scores, the best metric we have to track that sort of thing.

• Like 1

I'm seriously surprised by the reaction of the game. It had Sony's backing, obviously, and it's not like it WASN'T hyped, but I felt the hype going into Last of Us, God of War, Spider-Man, and Horizon was much bigger. I didn't feel as if as many people were following the game up to its release.

But damn, one of Sony's most successful launches, rave user reviews, and just a real step up for Sucker Punch overall? Kudos.

According to the site Superliminal is the number 1 user rated game this year. 

Also the sponge bob game is right behind Ghosts and TLOU isn’t in the top 50. So I’m gonna go ahead and continue to not care what Metacritics user side of things says haha

That being said Ghosts is def up there for one of my favorite games of the generation. 

Just beat it.

Spoiler

What choice did you guys make? I saved and am going to do the other, but I chose not to kill him. I felt like that was the "bad" ending, so I wanted to do that first before trying the other, but it actually was true to Jin's character, I felt. I thought he was going to leave Shimura behind and Shimura would be seething that he wasn't honored with a death, but Jin's goodbye and declaration that he has no honor and can't kill his family, was I think a way for him not to make his uncle feel as if he was being disrespected. Or something along those lines.

I also didn't really want to kill Shimura during that last fight. I won't spoil anything for the other game, but I had some TLOU2 vibes in NOT wanting to do something I clearly was being made to do. 

Lovely game. Sucker Punch blew me away with Infamous: Second Son's graphics, but phew, was this something special. Makes me think back to the beginning of the gen when a few users swore up and down that there wouldn't be big improvements. 

The game as a whole shows a ton of maturing from Sucker Punch. inFAMOUS 2 was a very fun game, but I do think having the main character giggle at the term "penal code" isn't something endearing; it's just a dumb line. Kudos to the developer for Ghost of Tsushima.

I started a 2nd play through on lethal and just couldn't do it. I got as far as having armored Mongol but having to do each encounter over 10 times became very frustrating. And don't get me started on duels. I lost count trying those. Switched it down too hard and enemies are a bit more tanky but it's definitely not as frustrating as on lethal. I love this game too much for it be an excruciating experience. I want to enjoy it! lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

I started a 2nd play through on lethal and just couldn't do it. I got as far as having armored Mongol but having to do each encounter over 10 times became very frustrating. And don't get me started on duels. I lost count trying those. Switched it down too hard and enemies are a bit more tanky but it's definitely not as frustrating as on lethal. I love this game too much for it be an excruciating experience. I want to enjoy it! lol

Hmmm I may have to try lethal. I went through my first playthrough on hard and it wasn't too tough. Do you keep all of your gear and abilities when you start a new playthrough?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmm I may have to try lethal. I went through my first playthrough on hard and it wasn't too tough. Do you keep all of your gear and abilities when you start a new playthrough?

Nope you start from scratch. Hopefully they release a NG+ in the near future. I'll try lethal again when they do. Dying to uber aggressive enemies in 1 or 2 hits became too tedious and I just wasn't fast enough to parry in lethal anymore. Duels became a headache.

Just now, NeoJoe said:

Nope you start from scratch. Hopefully they release a NG+ in the near future. I'll try lethal again when they do. Dying to uber aggressive enemies in 1 or 2 hits became too tedious and I just wasn't fast enough to parry in lethal anymore. Duels became a headache.

Booo! I'll probably wait for NG+ as well. Do enemies die in one or two hits too?

Whoa a coop mode coming to a Sony game?

Very interested in this update.  4 player coop can be amazing in this game.

If you can best the Story and Survival missions, you may be confident enough to take on the four-player Raid that will arrive shortly after the launch of Ghost of Tsushima: Legends, sending you and your partners to an entirely new realm to challenge a brutal, terrifying enemy.

Did not expect this kind of update at all for this game.  Very pleasant surprise.  Better be giving us a PS5 upgrade too.  If this is well done maybe enough to push me to upgrade to PS5.

• Shocked 2

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Booo! I'll probably wait for NG+ as well. Do enemies die in one or two hits too?

They die in 2+ hits depending on how much armor they have but definitely faster. Enemies are also much faster and aggressive and their parry windows even shorter. I guess the idea of lethal is to make the game "realistic" in how many sword strikes you could actually take before dying. Don't quote me on that. lol

That Legends mode came out of nowhere! LOL! I'm excited for it though. As bad as AC Unity was, I had a blast playing the 4 player co-op. I think it's clever of SP to keep this mode away from Jin and his companions. It lets them have fun with the mythical elements, which I'm excited to explore, while not muddling the main story. Very smart.