Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

4 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I really enjoyed my time with the game, but after closing Act 1 and then clearing the rest of the camps on the first island, I don't have much urge to continue.  This is usually what happens to me with open world games.  I may go back to it someday because I definitely enjoy the gameplay, but you start to see the seams very quickly and I started get burnt out.  The story is fine, but definitely not compelling enough on its own to drive me through.

I'd suggest just focusing the main story content.  It's well done and if you stick with the main plot and main side missions, not a very long game at all actually.

6 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I really enjoyed my time with the game, but after closing Act 1 and then clearing the rest of the camps on the first island, I don't have much urge to continue.  This is usually what happens to me with open world games.  I may go back to it someday because I definitely enjoy the gameplay, but you start to see the seams very quickly and I started get burnt out.  The story is fine, but definitely not compelling enough on its own to drive me through.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I'd suggest just focusing the main story content.  It's well done and if you stick with the main plot and main side missions, not a very long game at all actually.

What he said... the main story and main sidequests are pretty well done. Ignore the camps and focus on the narrative stuff. You can burn yourself out chasing every question mark

9 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

This game is shockingly good. I’m seriously enjoying every second of it. Critics scores, while good, were underrating this game. The only minor complaint is sometimes the camera can be wonky. But not a huge deal. 

Completely agree this game has received underrated scores. The game is excellent and is an 8.5+. 

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

It's like an 84 Metacritic, so seems about right.

Interesting... I went to see what the scores were for Assassin's Creeds Orgins and Odysssey because I thought Ghost was just as good if not better than both and is the most similar to those games. Origins is 81 on Metacritic Odyssey is 83. So yeah, these overall scores do seem about on track with what I was thinking. Shadows of Mordor/War ar both 84 and 81 respectively (Although I have zero Idea how Shadow of Mordor is scored higher than SHadow of War... musti've been the bullshit loot crate thing)

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A solid 8.5 for sure!

I said 8.5+ in my other post. I'll score the game after I finish it. It's some of the most fun I had playing a game. I'm thinking a 9/10. If it ends really strongly it could be in my top 5 games this gen.

I finished Act 2. Fucking shit, this game is great. I feel like it's way better than it got rated and is one of the best games of this gen.

It's fucking criminal that RDR2 is one of the mostly high rated games of all time while this gem slides into the middle 8s.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

I have many "conservations" with Reset users about this. Not that they uniformly use this, but since it's an active board, way too many people think 7 or below is bad. And I'm asking them how the FUCK do you differentiate a 3 bad from a 5 bad, or a 2 from a 4? Just use a 5 point scale, then, ya crazies. >_<

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I have many "conservations" with Reset users about this. Not that they uniformly use this, but since it's an active board, way too many people think 7 or below is bad. And I'm asking them how the FUCK do you differentiate a 3 bad from a 5 bad, or a 2 from a 4? Just use a 5 point scale, then, ya crazies. >_<

I would absolutely prefer a 5 point scale. I think auxiliary motivations, hype, etc. play far too much of a factor in people trying to differentiate on a 10 point scale.

On a 5 point scale, I would give this a game a 5/5 unless it shits the bed in the third (last?) act, which seems unlikely.

I'm towards the end of act 3 and I love this game so much. It has so much of what I love in an open world video game. The way it opens up section by section keeps my collector/explorer itch in check without overwhelmingly having everything open at once. The story is fantastic and I love that it's not a choose your dialogue crap. I get to experience the narrative of Jin and his friends. I completed every tale i the game and the friends tales are so well done. and NO FETCH QUESTS!

The gameplay is fun as heck. I feel like such a bad ass every time I challenge a group of enemies. Act 3 definitely has me using stealth more though as the enemies definitely got harder but even then I'm loving it. I find myself using all the tools available for such a versatile and fun way to take on a camp. The little nuances in the swordplay to the stances, it all feels so good. The organic way to explore with no mini map, the wind, foxes and birds is so amazing and refreshing. It's going to be hard to play another AC after this. So many QOL improvements over any AC game.

It's a nearly perfect experience for me, held back slightly by the camera that takes a bit to get used to and the lack of load outs. I find myself only using a handful of charms because they become tedious to switch. And switching my armor every few minutes is also slightly annoying but thankfully it's quick. Overall, this is one of the top games I've played in my life. Definitely top 5.

edit: Also, I have never in my life taken so many in game screenshots. The environment is gorgeous and I love just watching the wind blow through the trees, maybe play the flute or sometimes just practice sword combos which sheathing and unsheathing my sword. The music is also incredible from the serene exploration music to the thumping drum beats of battle.

I finished the story campaign the other night and I walk away throughly impressed. Like I said to @JPDunks4 @ARZ and @Mercury33 in another chat, this game does nothing new but does everything it does do very well. Combat, exploration, stealth and narrative which is VERY well done. Even the stealth gameplay which was somewhat panned by reviewers is well done and better than what the gaming websites would have you believe. Same with the platforming "puzzles" in terms of the shrines. The music is awesome too with great tracks that really add to the epic nature of some of scenarios.

I kept getting Game of Throne vibes with the feudal setting so much that I wouldn't mind seeing what Sucker Punch could do with the Game of Thrones license. They could use the engine and mechanics of this game as a base and make something really special. The main story is very well done but the SIDE quests are all very good as well featuring a supporting cast with several characters that could easily star in their own games. At the very least I would hope we get some DLC featuring some of these side characters (Like Shadow of War did with its DLC)

That said, what we got here is top-notch and is easily one of the best open world games of its kind to date... as good as the recent Ass. Creed games or better. When I first started the game, I initially ranked it in between Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone as far as first party Sony Games go. That was a mistake... it's better than both games in my opinion (I still need to finish Horizon to be fair but the fact that I stopped playing Horizon but couldn't put Ghost down says something to me) Ghost of Tsushima is a 9 for me easily and deserves to be placed in the upper echelon of open world games abd Sucker Punch has the makings of a exciting new series here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

Glad you're enjoying it as much as I am. 

I just remembered I’ve got like 7 or 8 technique points I’ve not used. Been “saving” them. But it’s time to use em. I’ve been getting charms and cool gear and not thought about techniques