Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm pretty sure I still have my copy of Ninja Scroll on VHS. If I don't it's because I upgraded to the Blu-Ray sometime ago.

I threw out all of my VHS tapes awhile back including my collections of bootleg animes and Hong Kong action flicks. I was importing Dragonballz waaay before people here even knew what it was. I'm pretty sure I have Ninja Scroll on DVD though. Not Blu-ray. 

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I threw out all of my VHS tapes awhile back including my collections of bootleg animals and Hong Kong action flicks.

I gave a lot away to the community resource center but I still have some that I'll probably never watch like Jetsons the movie, The Xfiles movie, Star Wars trilogy and this episode of the superman cartoon!

Holy smokes that looks good. Maybe I really should chuck out that VHS tape! :p

Ghost of Tsushima moving away from the karma system

“We thought about [a morality meter] because we had the karma system in [Infamous: Second Son], but we realized it was more important to us that we wanted to tell a human story of someone who is this way and has to evolve into something else, versus transform completely into something else,” Connell explained. “He doesn't flip flop back and forth, it muddied it up for us. We really wanted the story to reflect his transformation."

This answers my earlier question about the different playstyles.

“It definitely plays with the notion of, you're born and raised into this certain way of life. There's expectations of you, the way you should perform. And then at some point, because some events happen, in this case a war, you have to challenge those things. And not everybody's going to love the fact that you're going to challenge an assumption that's made upon your life,” he explained.

That's not to say Ghost of Tsushima will be lacking in ways for players to choose how they want to play. Whether it’s the black-and-white film grain mode, Japanese voice track, color changes for gear, and more, Sucker Punch is obviously finding ways for players to tailor Jin’s story to their preferences. One of those is the flexibility in playstyle — the State of Play showcased Jin fighting as both a samurai and as the titular Ghost.

But these aren’t distinct modes players will be forced to play or spec Jin into throughout the game; the naming merely represents different facets of Jin as a character and fighter, emblematic of the "evolution" Connell referred to for Jin's character.

"When he's a Ghost, he can turn around and play as a samurai because he's always a samurai. All his training, using the Katana, that stuff is buried in him deep. On the stealth [State of Play segement], if you wanted to jump off the roof and start fighting like a samurai, you could totally do that. We don't spec you out and suddenly you can't play as a samurai. He's always at his core, his heart of hearts, a samurai. The Ghost is this legendary warrior that he's evolving into," Connell said.

Some of those techniques range from Jin’s ability to engage enemies in standoffs — which, as Connell amusingly put it, “is the most samurai thing in the world to do, just walk slowly up to somebody and call them out,” while Jin will learn some tactics as the Ghost to intimidate and strike fear in his foes. Techniques aren’t limited to either Ghost or samurai — you can perform standoffs as the Ghost too, which Connell noted is even a prompt that appears in the State of Play, but simply wasn’t acted on as the developers tried to showcase a variety of tactics.

Sounds like there's a lot of flexibility in the gameplay.

• Thanks 1

You can miss weapons and missions if you don't explore the map.

I’M ASSUMING THAT NEW WEAPONS ARE SOMETHING YOU ONLY GET WHEN PROGRESSING THROUGH THE STORIES AND AREN’T RANDOMLY PICKED UP AFTER ENCOUNTERS?

NF: Yeah this is not a game about loot drops. It is a game about story and exploration. So if you go on Jin’s journey from Samurai to Ghost, you’ll get access to some abilities and some weapons but if you really want the full diversity of possibilities, you have to explore, you have to meet side characters, you have to go places that you know you’re not really even told exist. That’s why the world is rewarding right. We want to make sure that if you take the time you get something from it, that allows you to modify the play style. To get more diversity, and how you go after solving problems.

SO YOU’RE EXPECTING THAT PLAYERS WILL MISS THINGS LIKE WEAPONS AND OBVIOUSLY MISSIONS IF THEY DON’T GO TO EVERY NOOK AND CORNER OF THE MAP?

NF Absolutely. One of the big challenges of making a game like this, where we’re looking to capture that wandering Samurai experience is being okay with the fact that not all of the things that we make whether it be missions or abilities are going to be seen by every player. That is the nature of giving people freedom.

Ghost of Tsushima: Mastering the Katana (PlaySation Blog)

Our hopes of achieving our goal, of creating the time machine we were after, rested on capturing the right feel for the katana. Without katana combat that looked right, sounded right, and felt right, Ghost wouldn’t succeed. We could look for inspiration in the great combat examples in classic and modern samurai movies — my personal touchstone is the 2010 remake of 13 Assassins — but the things that work in movies don’t always work in games, so there was work to do.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, Spork3245 said:

I’m surprised with the amount of “meh-ness” towards this game itt. I thought it looked really good and the open-world samurai game I’ve been hoping for. :shrug:

I agree. This is the next game I’m really hyped for. I think it looks fantastic. Definitely looking forward to trying both playstyles too.

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

If I'm seeing this right, this basically has a Nioh-ish stance system. It looks like some button press + X / Circle / Triangle and whatever else switches to that particular stance much like Nioh. 

Also obviously I can't tell by this video but I bet the red flashes are attacks that can't be blocked and/or parried maybe like Sekiro's red kanjis. 

Edit: And yeah, at least in theory they seem to be aware that this game basically isn't shit without a good combat system. 

I commented earlier that it had a samey-ness to it. But I digress. At this point, I’m kinda excited for it. Mostly because for me, there’s just nothing else out there that interests me. I’ve spent the last 3 months playing AC Odyssey because I’m bored lol. I need a change of scenery.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:36 AM, Pikachu said:

Now the question is, buy it on release or wait until PS5?

So,

Not biased towards either way but if bought for the PS4 don't we get the newer updated games for PS5 when it's released free? I thought I read that Series X was or is like that? Maybe it's just first party Microsofts games that get this treatment. I'm confused now . . .

Either way i'm buying This and The Last of US II later this year. Would like to wait anyway for TLoU to be sub 30 bucks, and this game sup 20. I know I sound Cheap as F&^K but I can't purchase games day one anymore. After the fire gaming and it's impact on my wallet have been pushed to the far back burner. To hard to Justify it over say . . food! LOL :hmm:Both games will send the PS4 off very well I feel.

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do we still not know how Sony is going to handle Backwards Compatability?

We do....they are not, outside of what - 100 PS4 games they select?

Make more money putting out a remake and charging for it.

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, ARZ said:

We do....they are not, outside of what - 100 PS4 games they select?

Make more money putting out a remake and charging for it.

Did all of the 360 games become backwards compatible at the beginning, or were more added to the list over time?

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

Don’t mind @ARZ he just has a lot of pent up frustration from MS continually under delivering. 

Selecting a guillotine in a post is an angry reaction? Until they put in a thumbs down, don't see any other option.

@Mercury33 stop stalking me you perv

• Haha 1