Axiom Verge 2 (PlayStation consoles/Switch/PC), update: first reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

I remember picking up Axiom Verge because everyone said how amazing of a metroidvania it was and while it is fun, its no where near the levels I'd place something like Super Metroid or even Ori. That said, I am looking forward to another release in the series.

9 hours ago, Nokt said:

I remember picking up Axiom Verge because everyone said how amazing of a metroidvania it was and while it is fun, its no where near the levels I'd place something like Super Metroid or even Ori. That said, I am looking forward to another release in the series.

Axiom Verge was one of those games for me that I kept feeling like I should like more based on its various cool elements. It just never really came together for me or something and I never even finished it. I think I stopped at around 80% through or so. The boss fights were terrible, the 800 different weapons where only three or four were really useful were annoying, combat in general wasn't fun. Really the aesthetics and music kept me playing I think? 

For such an obvious Metroid rip, it dropped the ball in the most crucial aspects I think

4 hours ago, Dodger said:

Yeah it was. I'm also assuming this eventually comes to PS4/X1 otherwise I'll never end up playing it. 

I'm sure it will. I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped on all platforms at the same day. He just decided to announce it for Switch first. Because reasons, I guess?

I dunno though. Games like these I always prefer playing on a handheld. I'd skip it if wasn't on Switch. 

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Axiom Verge 2 announced for Switch and PC (EGS), update: release delayed to 3Q 2021
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Axiom Verge 2 announced for Switch and PC (EGS), update: announced for PlayStation consoles
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Axiom Verge 2 (PS4/PS5/Switch/PC - 3Q 2021), update: "Breach" gameplay trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Axiom Verge 2 (PlayStation consoles/Switch/PC), update: release announced for today!

Game Information

Game Title: Axiom Verge 2

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Aug 11, 2021)
  • PC (Aug 11, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 11, 2021)

Developer:  Thomas Happ Games

Publisher:  Thomas Happ Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 82 average - 90% recommended

Critic Reviews

But Why Tho? - 10 / 10

Axiom Verge 2 is an outstanding game that really sets the bar for future indie Metroidvania games. It builds on the original’s success by introducing new mechanics and ideas that help freshen up a classic and sometimes stale genre. I loved every second of my journey as Indra, and I know you will too.

Nintendo Life - 9 / 10

Axiom Verge is a remarkably tough act to follow, but Thomas Happ has done it again in producing a pitch perfect, excellently paced Metroidvania adventure. Axiom Verge 2 perfectly balances familiar elements that made the original great and trying out new ideas that give the sequel its own identity, and while lovers of the first game may take some time to adjust, everything comes together and makes for a potent experience that no fan of the genre will want to miss out on. The mysterious atmosphere, thrilling pace, and fantastic world design all come together to make for a worthy follow up that stands well on its own. Do yourself a favor and pick up Axiom Verge 2 as soon as you can, this is a game that's absolutely worth your time.

PC Gamer - 87 / 100

A bold and ambitious sequel set in a satisfying, densely connected world.

Nintendo Enthusiast - 8.5 / 10

Hacking is the other big new feature in Axiom Verge 2, although it finds its roots in the glitch gun of the first game. Indra can hack the game's robotic enemies, reprogramming them with options like "Overclock," "Allegiance," and "Platform." It provides an alternate approach to combat, supplementing the melee weapons. Hacking is also used to unlock doors throughout the world. This has the potential to add to the replayability and speedrunning options, as some doors require a higher Skill Point investment in the Infection stat than others.

NintendoWorldReport - 8.5 / 10

Axiom Verge 2 is a fantastic evolution of Axiom Verge 1-it feels like a different game, but with enough gameplay and story connections to remain familiar. My issues with the protagonist and wayfinding pale in comparison to the addictive exploration and beautiful vistas that Axiom Verge 2 revels in, and I can't wait to speculate wildly about the storyline.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Even when Axiom Verge 2 wasn’t hitting perfectly for me, it feels different and very much its own. Things start out slow, but give it a little time and Axiom Verge 2 really gets going, playing off expectations with clever alterations of the original game’s conventions. It’s dense as ever lore-wise, and it’s got some good music and worlds to move through. It’s a follow-up to Axiom Verge that doesn’t content itself with a simple recitation of the first game’s high points, and if what’s detailed above sounds like your jam, you’ll probably have a good time with it.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Axiom Verge 2 is exactly what a sequel should be in that it's more of the same but different.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

Axiom Verge 2 is a thoroughly enjoyable game that hits most of its notes perfectly, and is easy to recommend. Where Axiom Verge 1 was a clear love letter to Metroid, Axiom Verge 2 establishes more of its own identity, both in how it fleshes out the shared universe of the series, and the ways it blends elements of its predecessors and its inspirations together to create something really unique. Like the first game, it feels both familiar and entirely new. The sense of mystery and wonder, combined with excellent mechanical execution, will keep you going on a breakneck pace from start to finish.

Game Informer - 7.8 / 10

Clever level design and consummate world-building are great fun, even if the pacing and exploration sometimes lead to frustration

IGN - 7 / 10

Axiom Verge 2 is a dual-dimensional Metroidvania that's engaging to explore despite its one-dimensional combat and underwhelming boss fights.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Axiom Verge 2 (PlayStation consoles/Switch/PC), update: first reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 6 months later...