Dreams (Sony Interactive Entertainment) OT - Dream anything, play everything, update - reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dreams

Currently sitting at 92. Gameinformer has an early access review up. 95/100.

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/dreams/bringing-your-imagination-to-life

I'm impressed Dreams is exactly what Media Molecule set out to make: a game that encourages a wide range of creative fields to come together and inspire each other day after day. Dreams reawakened something inside of me, and I hope it gets the support it deserves. I can see it fostering a generation of fledgling artists, designers, and musicians as they follow their passion. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/dreams-review

It’s a cliche, but Dreams really is something that needs to be played to fully grasp an understanding of. It’s unlike anything else: an ambitious project that has been expertly brought to life by Media Molecule, and an audacious experiment in game design that gives you endless ways to enjoy your time with it.

https://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/dreams-review/

Dreams is a platform that allows for complete and nearly limitless creative expression, and it’s already jam-packed with games, music, and art that more than justify the asking price.

Love it.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, elbobo said:

they showed the first tech demo for this game in 2013

Kinda sorta. They showed a tech demo in 2013 but no one knew it was a game yet. The actual reveal and what the game was happened in 2015. The game was rebooted twice due to concerns about the graphical engine, and Sony continued to support its creation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Game Informer - 9.5

Dreams is an idealistic vision of game development, where people create, collaborate, and share games purely for the love of gaming. No Dreams game may ever reach the polish of a triple-A title, but they also lack the cynical business side of game development, where test groups and microtransactions take precedence over unbridled creativity. The prospect that we’ll someday see future developers who got their start in Dreams seems inevitable, but also moot – in a very real sense, Dreams players already are game developers. We may have longer to wait for the official release and Media Molecule’s single-player story levels, but Dreams is already a magnificent wellspring for those who love playing, creating, and thinking about games in all their many forms.

Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dreams

Currently sitting at 92. Gameinformer has an early access review up. 95/100.

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/dreams/bringing-your-imagination-to-life

I'm impressed Dreams is exactly what Media Molecule set out to make: a game that encourages a wide range of creative fields to come together and inspire each other day after day. Dreams reawakened something inside of me, and I hope it gets the support it deserves. I can see it fostering a generation of fledgling artists, designers, and musicians as they follow their passion. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/dreams-review

It’s a cliche, but Dreams really is something that needs to be played to fully grasp an understanding of. It’s unlike anything else: an ambitious project that has been expertly brought to life by Media Molecule, and an audacious experiment in game design that gives you endless ways to enjoy your time with it.

https://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/dreams-review/

Dreams is a platform that allows for complete and nearly limitless creative expression, and it’s already jam-packed with games, music, and art that more than justify the asking price.

I wasn't expecting to care about the creation side but here we are.  The most exciting thing is how dang accessible it is to use to make the imagery floating around in your dome that you wanna make. 20 minutes into the first tutorial I had an interactive 3d landscape done with ruins, buildings, foliage, mountains and wildlife and everything.  Can't wait to recommend this to friends who struggle with the technical side of painting and sculpting and see what they can do with it.

There's a twin-stick shooter that's similar to Resogun that's actually quite fun. It's under MM's picks if you're interested.

Someone is making a Sonic Adventure game and I'm actually very impressed by it. The boost mode is pretty well done. It's a work-in-progress, and you can choose to follow the creator and/or the level since many of them are continuously worked on.

I dinked around a bit yesterday and really enjoyed it, and I look forward to trying Dreams' story mode.

Game Information

Game Title: Dreams

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Feb 14, 2020)

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 92 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

Attack of the Fanboy - 5 / 5 stars

Checkpoint Gaming - 10 / 10

After a long journey, Media Molecule has finally made it. Dreams is out with its full launch, with what’s assumed to be much support to follow. I’m now completely enamoured with the game and can’t wait to see what it looks like in a year, two, or hell, hopefully even ten.

Critical Hit - 10 / 10

Dreams is so many ideas at any given time. It is ambition given form, imagination given vibrant life and unlimited possibility waiting to be shaped with your hands. Unique and inspiring, there's no other game that even comes close to reaching Dreams and its intuitive approach to creating content and an experience that you never want to wake up from.

Explosion Network - 10 / 10

Dreams is like nothing we have ever seen before and it’s going to inspire the next generation of creators.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

As overwhelming as it is, Dreams is a unique and impressive game that offers plenty of ways for players to create whatever they want, with a great sense of community.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 100 / 100

There are no words that can accurately define my feelings towards Dreams. It's a title that has transcended everything we know as a game, becoming something completely new. Media Molecule exceeded all possible expectations by creating this wonderful tool, that if used correctly, will serve as one of the main pivots for content creators, game-design students, musicians, animators and many others throughout this decade. Dreams may be one of the last "games" to be released for PlayStation 4, but it will forever be immortalized as one of the greatest titles ever made in history.

PlayStation Universe - 10 / 10

It's really hard to find anything negative about Dreams. It's a powerful and remarkable set of creation tools moonlighting as a video game. If creating isn't your thing, the Dreamiverse offers an endless feed of other dreamer's playable content and the super-fun campaign. Dreams is the bee's knees and should not be missed.

Push Square - 10 / 10

It may have taken the better part of a decade to make, but the arrival of Dreams feels significant. It represents a whole new way for people to make things and share them with the world. Media Molecule has made a suite of tools that feels intuitive to use, but more than that, it's built a social platform where players can collaborate and explore the imaginations of others. It's a technical marvel, a creative miracle, and one of the most innovative games in years.

WellPlayed - 10 / 10

Dreams is the impossible made possible, and most importantly, accessible. There's never been a creative platform like this, and Media Molecule has proven that they were the only ones capable of building it all along

Destructoid - 9.5 / 10

It should feel dull, but it doesn't. Dreams doesn't feel like homework. Part of that is on the intuitive tools, and part of that is on Media Molecule's community-centric approach. This isn't "just another project" for the team – it's the culmination of everything they've worked toward since LittleBigPlanet.

GamingTrend - 95 / 100

Dreams is an ambitious game that succeeds on every front where others have failed. Media Molecule took what they designed, developed, and created over the years and encapsulated it into an experience that has endless possibilities; for them and us. It's hard to sum up how groundbreaking and pioneering the game is as it's more than the sum of its parts, it's exactly what you make of it. Let your dreams come true.

Jack of All Controllers - 9.5 / 10

Dreams, under a creative mind, is a perfect tool to let your imagination run wild and paint a picture for all to see. While downfalls are present, there is nothing in gaming history that can come close for the masses to make whatever they want.

GamePro - German - 93 / 100

Dreams is both a playable engine and a treasure trove of creativity of all kinds and therefore equally exciting for all players.

COGconnected - 92 / 100

Dreams is incredible. It’s what I and so many others have wanted from the time we fell in love with video games.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

Dreams is a dream for al creative people out there. It has no limits. Media Molecule achieved something really special.

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

Dreams is a marvel from Media Molecule. It’s another cog in their creative machine that takes game creation to another level. Does it have room to grow? Lord, yes, especially in controls, but it offers up an outlet for non-coders to make their gaming dreams a reality.

GameCrate - 9 / 10

Dreams is really something special. Frankly, I'd like to see other game development tools come with curation suites like this. It would change the way we look at game design. Now if only these dreamers could get paid for their work…

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

The story of Dreams is an absolute delight, but it is not just a set of levels with an editor, but a full – fledged constructor for creating a variety of games. Many players around the world are creating small games with different mechanics and complex projects with RPG elements. Thanks to the built-in social network indreams.me, you can always find something interesting and maybe - small masterpiece. And if you want to create for yourself, then Dreams provides a wide range of tools for realizing your fantasies.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

Sometimes, even the most ambitious dreams come true, but their appreciation still depends on people's aspirations and imagination.

Gamerheadquarters - 9 / 10

Dreams is a simply magical experience that could produce some truly beautiful games and pieces of art, for any type of gamer to enjoy.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Dreams' story is only beginning. Never before have I had the pleasure of seeing a product that is so obviously flawless, with so much potential for future growth.

IGN - 9 / 10

A place for unlimited creation, Dreams is a highly ambitious concept, and one that has been magically brought to life.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9 / 10

Dreams is not the best software to make a game, but that's not the point. Media Molecule's dream is to build a homeland for creators, to make the Dreamverse a self-sufficient place, where users can share their skills in the easiest way: that is the goal of the project, but the dream cannot exist without the dreamers.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 90 / 100

If have to describe Dreams with just one word, I would go with "beautiful". There is no other product deserve that word more than Dreams. Media Molecule definitly made the line between art and video games thinner than ever.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Dreams is possibilities made manifest, and while Media Molecule needs to have a strong hand in curating that experience, its a perfect foundation from which to grow and evolve and I can’t wait to see where it goes.

SomHráč.sk - Czech - 90 / 100

Even though we seldom see something like it in the video game industry, Dreams is a revolutionary title that should be a shining example to the other development studios. However, don't forget that the future of the title solely depends on the community and only the time will tell whether it will appreciate a title so focused on creativity like this.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9 / 10

Dreams is a revolutionary experience, well developed and capable of resulting as accessible as it is deep. The dream has just begun, but already as it is today, with all this incredible tools, seems something wonderful.

TheReviewGeek - 9 / 10

Dreams is unlike anything else out there. Of course, this also makes reviewing the title incredibly tricky too – do you review this as a game? Or as a game creation software? The answer is, I guess, a bit of both. Mileage will vary from person to person but it’s a very specific game that itches a very specific scratch, one that you’ll either pick up and love or pick up, play for 2 or 3 hours and never come back to again.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Taking Media Molecule's creative ethos to new heights, Dreams is a PlayStation essential. Booting the game up each time and having no idea what awaits is an intoxicating feeling. A remedy, forcing me from the rut of my predictable gaming habits to explore an inner creativity I'm often too lazy or wound up to let free.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 9 / 10

Dreams is a unique and different experience, it already carries on a lot of fantastic and creative experiments by the community, and if it achieved enough popularity it can keep on giving for many years to come.

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5 stars

Opening a game engine for the first time can make you feel like you’re in a sweaty-palmed nightmare. But Dreams isn’t like that – not only is diving into the game engine and learning how to create stuff fun, you’ll also never feel lost in the navigation and controls. Moreover, it gives you access to a bunch of minigames that you can’t find anywhere else.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 88 / 100

Dreams is an impressive game making tool, which includes a great story mode: Art´s Dream. On the downside, motion sensing controls are not too accurate, and the game requires lots of tutorials.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8.7 / 10

Media Molecule gives us a complete tool with which feel ourselves like authentic video game developers. It takes time but, once you mastered it, the experience is very rewarding. The only limit of Dreams is in our imagination.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Dreams' final release might lack serious control improvements over the early access but a wonderful story mode, and community's getting better and better at creating unlock this PS4 exclusive's full potential.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8 / 10

Dreams is a game that could make thousands of games. You can find various innovative creations on this platform ranging from games, videos to music and paintings. The tool is easy to use for amateurs developers but if you just simply want to enjoy yourself, Dreams might not be the best choice.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Loved

More than just a simple game, Dreams is a social platform of creativity and a love letter to videogames.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

They have a ton of great developers, so it's not that surprising. :p 

I'm just slightly jealous. I think this is the game Project Spark wanted to be, but Project Spark folded and also it was too hard to achieve what you wanted to do.

This looks much more accessible at least judging by what people are creating. Maybe it's super hard! :p

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm just slightly jealous. I think this is the game Project Spark wanted to be, but Project Spark folded and also it was too hard to achieve what you wanted to do.

This looks much more accessible at least judging by what people are creating. Maybe it's super hard! :p

I remember Project Spark. Even not owning an Xbox at the time, the servers' closing was sad because it seemed like a cool, creative game that didn't get the backing or awareness it should have, whereas Dreams is doing very well in streaming and word-of-mouth.

Why are you jealous? You own the damn console! :p