Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Because Columbia Pictures and Ghost Corps, INC. are also owned by Sony so i think Sony owns Ghostbusters?

You're missing what I'm getting at; since when are ads put in the trailers for movies like this. Is this going to become a new thing? It was weird. Why? 

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Because Columbia Pictures and Ghost Corps, INC. are also owned by Sony so i think Sony owns Ghostbusters?

Wait, Sony just fully owns the Ghostbusters IP? Why haven’t they funded a full AAA sony game for it already??

3 hours ago, Komusha said:

Apparently I’m misremembering the original film as a comedy because that does not look like a sequel to a comedy.

It honestly feels more like a 'stranger things' movie... even aside from the actors.  But that is the current popular tone.  I'm sure there will be jokes.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

On the note of “people would know!!!1!!1!!”

Go ask a bunch of random junior high kids what they know about 9/11

A large scale event that changes our entire understanding of reality and threatens humanity at large seems a bit bigger than 9/11.

11 minutes ago, legend said:

A large scale event that changes our entire understanding of reality and threatens humanity at large seems a bit bigger than 9/11.

Debating which one is bigger is…not the point. It’s undeniable that 9/11 was one of the most notable events of the last 20 years in America, and there are millions of American children who likely wouldn’t even know what you’re talking about if you asked them what 9/11 is.

The fact of the matter is that even things that were a big deal at the time they happened don’t necessarily continue to be a part of the zeitgeist in perpetuity. Not at all weird that a bunch of kids wouldn’t really know anything about the events of the films nearly 40 years later.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Nothing in that trailer would lead any if to conclude this is a comedy. 

That entire little goofy scene with the Stay Puft’s is a bit of a clue. So is Paul Rudd’s inclusion in the film. The rest of it is entirely a nostalgia trailer. The point is to appeal to fans of the original…who know they’re comedies. 

It's not that it lacks jokes, but it's that the syrupy tone just doesn't work for this franchise. This looks very Speilbergy whereas the original was pretty far from an Amblin picture. Maybe this tone is only used for marketing and isn't indicative of the movie as a whole, but so far all of the promotional material is in this vein so I'm doubtful.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Debating which one is bigger is…not the point. It’s undeniable that 9/11 was one of the most notable events of the last 20 years in America, and there are millions of American children who likely wouldn’t even know what you’re talking about if you asked them what 9/11 is.

The fact of the matter is that even things that were a big deal at the time they happened don’t necessarily continue to be a part of the zeitgeist in perpetuity. Not at all weird that a bunch of kids wouldn’t really know anything about the events of the films nearly 40 years later.

I think scale is a factor. There are any number of major events virtually all jr. high students know about. As an obvious example, everyone knew about WWII in jr high. Big enough events are understood by kids at that point.

Undeniable evidence of supernatural entities and gods, and that they were hostile and intent on taking over the world would be one of the biggest events in all of human history, let alone America

43 minutes ago, legend said:

I think scale is a factor. There are any number of major events virtually all jr. high students know about. As an obvious example, everyone knew about WWII in jr high. Big enough events are understood by kids at that point.

Undeniable evidence of supernatural entities and gods, and that they were hostile and intent on taking over the world would be one of the biggest events in all of human history, let alone America

Unequivocal proof of life after death would be the single greatest revelation in human history. Something that philosophers/theologians/scientists have debated forever now has a concrete answer. I could see virtually every research dollar on the planet going in to figuring out how it all "works"

They're very clearly trying to do something different to keep this franchise going. For any number of reasons, a straight-up Ghostbusters 3 is not gonna happen. The 2016 movie had a, um, mixed reaction, so going further down that path is off the table.  Tonally, it reminds me of Super 8, which seems like a fine way to go. Plenty of room for fun/jokes. 

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I just told my cousin, that the genius part of this edit is the fact that you could play it at a party and a large portion of people won't notice that the song's been fucked with.

• Thanks 1

I don't care one way or the other about Ghostbusters, but given this is directed by Jason Reitman (Ivan Reitman's son) who has helmed a number of excellent films, I would think this one would be good to by default? I mean:

-Thank You For Smoking

-Juno

-Up in the Air

-Young Adult

-Labor Day

-Men, Women & Children

-Tully

-The Front Runner

That's a really great resume overall. I know people have problems with Diablo Cody and Juno but it's still an entertaining, honest, and unique film to me. The only mediocre film on the list is just The Front Runner to me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw a screening of it here at Cinemacon. Surprisingly good, but definitely “remember this?” all over the place. Lots of fun stuff, and some actual good performances by most of the kids.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, elbobo said:

Unequivocal proof of life after death would be the single greatest revelation in human history. Something that philosophers/theologians/scientists have debated forever now has a concrete answer. I could see virtually every research dollar on the planet going in to figuring out how it all "works"

My friend, we are punish fucking the planet right now and we cannot convince ourselves to invest in infrastructure and policies that will prevent that. Unless spirits can mine crypto or power our cars, we’re not banding together to look into the afterlife, ESPECIALLY if they seem contrary to Abrahamic faiths, come on now.

• 3 months later...

I saw it back in August and really enjoyed it. Planning to take the kiddos to see it next week some time. I think it does a good job of being a follow up to the original films but also completely accessible to new viewers.

Wife & I went on Monday afternoon to see it, lucky enough to be the only two in the theater no less (Yay private screenings!)

There are a LOT of "remember this" call backs to be sure & that plays both to its betterment & also its detriment. Maybe if they had scaled it back JUST a bit, but I am not complaining too much about it. Been thinking a lot in the last day and a half about this film, more in terms of rewatchability & I'm not entirely sure. I think I would watch it again at least once but also I wasn't really all that surprised by the beats they went with here either. There were some heartfelt moments to be sure that I connected with both as a lifelong GB fan but also having a dead father with whom there was a contentious relationship to be had. I couldn't not cry a couple tears at *THAT* moment towards the end, but it was genuinely earned & done in a tasteful, respectful manner so I didn't take any issue with that. Overall, a solid 7/10.