Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Xbob42

General Gaming Digital Foundry gushes about CRTs for gaming for nearly half an hour again.

Recommended Posts

 

They go into a lot more detail than last time, even talking about how for a general desktop experience a flat panel is superior, but for pure gaming, CRT just eats LCDs and LEDs for breakfast and it isn't even close. Also brought on a new person who wasn't part of the last video just to show it wasn't those two nerding out in a bubble. I gotta get me one of these chunky boys, I miss mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus all the gamer nerds turned to wimps with easy to carry monitors. If we still had CRTs  nerds would be ripped as fuck lifting 150 pound CRTs. 💪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Plasma forever.

It sucks plasmas have died. I am probably gonna need to get a OLED to replace my plasma for 4k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important benefit to modern screens compared to CRTs is size. I can understand there are some real benefits to CRTs, but I'll take whatever minor visual downgrades for that nice big screen any day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It sucks plasmas have died. I am probably gonna need to get a OLED to replace my plasma for 4k.

 

It also sucks Panasonic pulled out of the US market. They still sell in Canada but your warranty would be void taking it over to the US. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jason said:

 

It also sucks Panasonic pulled out of the US market. They still sell in Canada but your warranty would be void taking it over to the US. :/


Panny’s OLEDs are supposedly better than LGs despite LG using Panny’s tech too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Panny’s OLEDs are supposedly better than LGs despite LG using Panny’s tech too.

 

Is it the exact same panel? Because if not it could be a situation of Panasonic saving its best panels for itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screw the TVs and get into the world of projection gaming instead. I still use my Sony TV but with my recent JVC NX7 projector purchase, I just don’t want to go back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Screw the TVs and get into the world of projection gaming instead. I still use my Sony TV but with my recent JVC NX7 projector purchase, I just don’t want to go back 

I’m willing to try out the $8k projector if you subsidize it for me.  Win win for all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I’m willing to try out the $8k projector if you subsidize it for me.  Win win for all

I’ll sell you my JVC 950 instead. I should try taking a pic of the new guy in action with Gears 5 playing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Screw the TVs and get into the world of projection gaming instead. I still use my Sony TV but with my recent JVC NX7 projector purchase, I just don’t want to go back 

That projector looks like a BEAST. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

That projector looks like a BEAST. 

I thought my JVC 950 was big but this guy is almost double that, but can’t go wrong with its picture quality. Taken with iPhone 8+, Xbox One X, 106” 1.0 Gain Screen
 

JVC NX7

spacer.png

 

HALO: REACH

spacer.png

spacer.png

GEARS OF WAR 5

spacer.png

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, silentbob said:

I thought my JVC 950 was big but this guy is almost double that, but can’t go wrong with its picture quality. Taken with iPhone 8+, Xbox One X, 106” 1.0 Gain Screen
 

JVC NX7

spacer.png

 

HALO: REACH

spacer.png

spacer.png

GEARS OF WAR 5

spacer.png

spacer.png


I’m glad you’re using a brandname Meseeks and not a Kirkland brand! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Raggit said:

Is Gears of War 5 really that... blue?

It just might partly be my phone camera. Yeah it has a bit of blue from the ice but a bit of white tends to push a bit of blue in some other pics I have taken. Might not be the best example but the darker pic is from my JVC 950 (iPhone 6+ camera) which doesn’t have the HDR tone mapping like my new NX7 has. So it was using a custom gamma setup by another user on the avsforum. From the Blade Runner 2049 UHD disc, just a few secs off from each other. As you can see the NX7 pic also has a blueish tone as well. Hoping to get enough money at Xmas to buy a spyderx elite calibrator to make my picture quality the best it can be

 

JVC 950

spacer.png

 

 NX7spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crt are great for some things but not all things. The early days of the ps3/360 were brutal for me on CRT. I’d get crazy eye fatigue and headache over some games like oblivion. I think I found what caused the most problems where heavy use of POM and abused normal mapping. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Crt are great for some things but not all things. The early days of the ps3/360 were brutal for me on CRT. I’d get crazy eye fatigue and headache over some games like oblivion. I think I found what caused the most problems where heavy use of POM and abused normal mapping. :(

 

May have had more to do with low fps. Low fps on a CRT is extra bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

 

May have had more to do with low fps. Low fps on a CRT is extra bad.

No, I think it more had to do with a mix of interlacing and Parallax occlusion mapping regardless if the fps was high or low, I would get the same issue. I didn't have the same problem on an LCD and less of an issue on a progressive scan CRT with POM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

No, I think it more had to do with a mix of interlacing and Parallax occlusion mapping regardless if the fps was high or low, I would get the same issue. I didn't have the same problem on an LCD and less of an issue on a progressive scan CRT with POM.


Oh, you’re talking about a TV? I assumed monitor as that’s what DF is discussing. Yea, it may be related to the interlacing and POM causing a lot of shimmer. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Probably busy working to support his spawn and taking care of them.

Make more of them too.... :cry:

3rd one due in June.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just never saw you as a daddy.

 

But for real, congratulations.

I've never taken any tests.... :notsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...