Digital Foundry gushes about CRTs for gaming for nearly half an hour again.

Xbob42

They go into a lot more detail than last time, even talking about how for a general desktop experience a flat panel is superior, but for pure gaming, CRT just eats LCDs and LEDs for breakfast and it isn't even close. Also brought on a new person who wasn't part of the last video just to show it wasn't those two nerding out in a bubble. I gotta get me one of these chunky boys, I miss mine.

56 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It sucks plasmas have died. I am probably gonna need to get a OLED to replace my plasma for 4k.

It also sucks Panasonic pulled out of the US market. They still sell in Canada but your warranty would be void taking it over to the US. :/

38 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Screw the TVs and get into the world of projection gaming instead. I still use my Sony TV but with my recent JVC NX7 projector purchase, I just don’t want to go back 

I’m willing to try out the $8k projector if you subsidize it for me.  Win win for all

• Like 1

14 hours ago, silentbob said:

I thought my JVC 950 was big but this guy is almost double that, but can’t go wrong with its picture quality. Taken with iPhone 8+, Xbox One X, 106” 1.0 Gain Screen

JVC NX7

spacer.png

HALO: REACH

spacer.png

spacer.png

GEARS OF WAR 5

spacer.png

spacer.png

I’m glad you’re using a brandname Meseeks and not a Kirkland brand! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raggit said:

Is Gears of War 5 really that... blue?

It just might partly be my phone camera. Yeah it has a bit of blue from the ice but a bit of white tends to push a bit of blue in some other pics I have taken. Might not be the best example but the darker pic is from my JVC 950 (iPhone 6+ camera) which doesn’t have the HDR tone mapping like my new NX7 has. So it was using a custom gamma setup by another user on the avsforum. From the Blade Runner 2049 UHD disc, just a few secs off from each other. As you can see the NX7 pic also has a blueish tone as well. Hoping to get enough money at Xmas to buy a spyderx elite calibrator to make my picture quality the best it can be

JVC 950

spacer.png

NX7spacer.png

Crt are great for some things but not all things. The early days of the ps3/360 were brutal for me on CRT. I’d get crazy eye fatigue and headache over some games like oblivion. I think I found what caused the most problems where heavy use of POM and abused normal mapping. :(

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Crt are great for some things but not all things. The early days of the ps3/360 were brutal for me on CRT. I’d get crazy eye fatigue and headache over some games like oblivion. I think I found what caused the most problems where heavy use of POM and abused normal mapping. :(

May have had more to do with low fps. Low fps on a CRT is extra bad.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

May have had more to do with low fps. Low fps on a CRT is extra bad.

No, I think it more had to do with a mix of interlacing and Parallax occlusion mapping regardless if the fps was high or low, I would get the same issue. I didn't have the same problem on an LCD and less of an issue on a progressive scan CRT with POM.

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

No, I think it more had to do with a mix of interlacing and Parallax occlusion mapping regardless if the fps was high or low, I would get the same issue. I didn't have the same problem on an LCD and less of an issue on a progressive scan CRT with POM.

Oh, you’re talking about a TV? I assumed monitor as that’s what DF is discussing. Yea, it may be related to the interlacing and POM causing a lot of shimmer. :)